Following Thistle Away From Home

Jaggernaut

Living in the u s and a I dont get to go anymore but it seemed that many Jags fans went everywhere just to win in some misery stakes, like if you didnt go you might miss some terrible happening and regret it. Similarly Thistle fans had the best tales of away games. You could memet a Jags fan in a pub and hear him talk about a 6 hour bus journey and getting there and catching food poisining on a dodgy pie before being batoned by cops as they lost to a last minute dodgy offside goal. On the bus home a brick comes through the window and splits his head open then he gets frostbite from the draught and loses a few fingers or a limb. The Jags fan next to him responds with "That's nothin, I remember the time...."

Greatest team in the world and the greatest fans.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest fredthecheesecloth

There is nothing better than a good away day, the football aside of course.

I had a superb day yesterday, and a superb day in Dundee. I am looking forward to Ayr. The worst part of the day is enduring the game, but I agree with Tom Stronach.

Actually watching from the other side of the ground I thought the support was quite loud yesterday.

That's good to hear Tom. But the noise was coming from a group of no more than about 15 people, that to me was very disappointing. However, you could argue that the fans need some encouragement from the players performance before they start singing. Chicken and egg syndrome here I think

This season, more than ever before, I've been questioning why I make efforts to go to see Thistle especially when they are away from Firhill. For me this usually involves several bus and train journeys at inconvenient times, and considerable expense. And it almost always ends in disappointment, either a defeat or a uninspiring draw. Over the past few seasons I think our away record can't amount to more than one win every 7 or 8 matches (I'll let somebody else with time on their hands work out the real figure), and in fact I usually expect us to lose and start off on the journey with a feeling of dread (especially when it's Starks Park, Livi, Dens). And yet I continue to inflict this financial and psychological suffering on myself regularly. I didn't go yesterday, and regretted it right until the updates started coming in from Dumfries, then, as often happens, I ended up happy that I didn't go.

In spite of our appalling away form for years and under several different managers, our away support has held up relatively well (although numbers are definitely down on a few seasons ago). So my question is, why do people continue to go? Home matches are easier to understand because in general you are more likely to see a win at home. Away from home, the chances of seeing a victory are pretty slim, and the football on display is often miserable.

I won't be a Culter next week, but will drag myself to Ayr in a couple of weeks, expecting little from Thistle.

Bevvy and a day oot..Simples :thumbsup2:

Actually prefer away games to home ones, always seems to be a better atmosphere at away games.

Find them to be a good day out and look forward to some trips in particular, favourites being Dingwall and Dumfries. Enjoy Ayr too, for some strange reason an evening game. Just one of these old grounds that feels right under floodlights.

I'll always remember driving home from that great day in Peterhead, magic, being away just made it all the more special.

Looking forward to Culter, a new ground to visit, which is always nice.

Edited by Jagsfan58

Guest fredthecheesecloth

On the way down to dumfries yesterday I rhymed off 5 or 6 away wins I remember from dumfries:

qos 1-2 ptfc - english,lyle

qos 1-3 ptfc - hardie(2), mclean

qos 0-2 ptfc - buchanan (2)

qos 0-2 ptfc - roberts, young

qos 1-2 ptfc - hardie)?), mcgrillen

thats just off the top of my head. there is something special about away wins, the same cant be said for home ones.

On the way down to dumfries yesterday I rhymed off 5 or 6 away wins I remember from dumfries:

qos 1-2 ptfc - english,lyle

qos 1-3 ptfc - hardie(2), mclean

qos 0-2 ptfc - buchanan (2)

qos 0-2 ptfc - roberts, young

qos 1-2 ptfc - hardie)?), mcgrillen

thats just off the top of my head. there is something special about away wins, the same cant be said for home ones.

my fav away wins are Stirling Albion 0 jags 3 (promotion secured). St Mirren 0 jags 2 (championship won).

Not really. BJ didn't say which Globe Inn he was in. Very confusing when there's two of them :D .

btw as Wetherspoon's go the Robt the Bruce isn't a bad hostelry at all but the service is atrocious even for that chain's already poor standard. Doesn't give you a lot of actual drinking time before the train home.

Oh, didn't know there was more than one Globe Inn in Dumfries. Kinda brings Mr B Kettlewell's rendition of "There's only one Globe in Dum-fries", on the walk up to the game, into question.

Hopefully, there's only one Salutation bar, as it's opposite that. On the walk along the river up to the top of the street, left at the lights and about 50-60 yards further along, tucked in next to the pub on that corner. :)

Oh, didn't know there was more than one Globe Inn in Dumfries. Kinda brings Mr B Kettlewell's rendition of "There's only one Globe in Dum-fries", on the walk up to the game, into question.

Hopefully, there's only one Salutation bar, as it's opposite that. On the walk along the river up to the top of the street, left at the lights and about 50-60 yards further along, tucked in next to the pub on that corner. :)

:lol:

For your info, BJ. :thumbsup2:

:lol:

For your info, BJ. :thumbsup2:

Cheers, l-i-b. :) I'm still unsure if that's the one. I think it's probably the other one as I don't remember the Rabbie Burns stuff either inside or outside. Got to say the Globe Inn (the one I go in) is one of the friendliest places I've ever been in, even by Dumfries standards. :happy2:

Cheers, l-i-b. :) I'm still unsure if that's the one. I think it's probably the other one as I don't remember the Rabbie Burns stuff either inside or outside. Got to say the Globe Inn (the one I go in) is one of the friendliest places I've ever been in, even by Dumfries standards. :happy2:

Indeed always find it a friendly wee place. I was told by a Jags fan yesterday that on another visit the owner won some Saturday raffle or football card. He promptly gave everyone in the premises a free drink. Top man :thumbsup2:

Why follow Thistle away from home? Who knows; it's just something we do - and why not? Yesterday, for example: drove up to Dumfries, went into the Globe, met up with a squad of boys from the Strathmore, had a pint, a laugh and a joke, went to the game - quite shite, shite result - went back to the Globe (same company), had a couple of Irn Brus, a laugh and a joke, watched half an hour of the Engl*nd v Spain game hoping for them to get a doing, left, drove home.

All in all, a fairly decent Thistle day out. Have done it countless times before over the decades, will continue to do it. Em, that's it, it's what we do.

It's what we do. We are not Man City or Chelsea. It's a day out and so be it.

When away form is poor (as it has been for years) you just have to go out of feelings for the club, and to make the most of the social side of things. Being a Jags fan, as a few sang yesterday is "a fool's game", but we knew that from the start. Loyalty will be rewarded with the odd moment of unparalleled joy. There may be few of us, but I have always thought that Thistle fans really are second to none-anytime, anywhere.

Edited by milhouse

I understand that we are never going to win every game away from home, believe it or not i HAVE followed thistle for some time!

However, what I can not accept is players giving less than 100% for the fans that have travelled. For me we didn't start playing until the last quarter of an hour yesterday, and even then some of the chances we missed were just ridiculous.

I understand that we are never going to win every game away from home, believe it or not i HAVE followed thistle for some time!

However, what I can not accept is players giving less than 100% for the fans that have travelled. For me we didn't start playing until the last quarter of an hour yesterday, and even then some of the chances we missed were just ridiculous.

Thing is I think we as fans can be guilty of confusing not giving 100% and having a bad game. I doubt the players set out to have a bad game or weren't bothered about missing the chances. Sometimes it just doesn't go for you.

I spoke to Tommy Stewart at the WAS night and I mentioned the chance he had that afternoon against Falkirk when he put the ball over the bar......he seemed genuinely gutted about it and was quite down on himself. Now either he is a great actor, I'm a fool (I'm going to regret that comment) or he does want to do his best and gets annoyed with himself when he makes a mistake.

We as supporters have a part to play in this as well. The players will react more positively if they are receiving support from the stands. If they are getting pelters, the chances are they are not going improve.

Now I wasn't there on Saturday and I want to make it clear i'm not suggesting for one minute that the players did get pelters, it's just a general view point.

I hear even that's under threat. Mentioned briefly on the radio as an aside from the main topic (smoking in cars) a carpet ban on alcohol on trains is evidently on the horizon :( .

News story of said potential complete booze ban here.

Salmond was at pains to stress yesterday at FMQ's, it is only a consultation document offering views on wide-ranging options for the rail network on all levels of service and services, and proposals contained therein are not government policy (not yet anyway).

But i do fear a blanket ban on booze on trains is coming - first there was the smoking ban in public places, now we have the impending minimum unit price, so can see a push for dry public transport across the board coming down the tracks soon.

News story of said potential complete booze ban here.

Salmond was at pains to stress yesterday at FMQ's, it is only a consultation document offering views on wide-ranging options for the rail network on all levels of service and services, and proposals contained therein are not government policy (not yet anyway).

But i do fear a blanket ban on booze on trains is coming - first there was the smoking ban in public places, now we have the impending minimum unit price, so can see a push for dry public transport across the board coming down the tracks soon.

What next? No colourful clothes in a public place? Women having to cover up their faces?