Following Thistle Away From Home

Jaggernaut

This season, more than ever before, I've been questioning why I make efforts to go to see Thistle especially when they are away from Firhill. For me this usually involves several bus and train journeys at inconvenient times, and considerable expense. And it almost always ends in disappointment, either a defeat or a uninspiring draw. Over the past few seasons I think our away record can't amount to more than one win every 7 or 8 matches (I'll let somebody else with time on their hands work out the real figure), and in fact I usually expect us to lose and start off on the journey with a feeling of dread (especially when it's Starks Park, Livi, Dens). And yet I continue to inflict this financial and psychological suffering on myself regularly. I didn't go yesterday, and regretted it right until the updates started coming in from Dumfries, then, as often happens, I ended up happy that I didn't go.

In spite of our appalling away form for years and under several different managers, our away support has held up relatively well (although numbers are definitely down on a few seasons ago). So my question is, why do people continue to go? Home matches are easier to understand because in general you are more likely to see a win at home. Away from home, the chances of seeing a victory are pretty slim, and the football on display is often miserable.

I won't be a Culter next week, but will drag myself to Ayr in a couple of weeks, expecting little from Thistle.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why follow Thistle away from home? Who knows; it's just something we do - and why not? Yesterday, for example: drove up to Dumfries, went into the Globe, met up with a squad of boys from the Strathmore, had a pint, a laugh and a joke, went to the game - quite shite, shite result - went back to the Globe (same company), had a couple of Irn Brus, a laugh and a joke, watched half an hour of the Engl*nd v Spain game hoping for them to get a doing, left, drove home.

All in all, a fairly decent Thistle day out. Have done it countless times before over the decades, will continue to do it. Em, that's it, it's what we do.

Why follow Thistle away from home? Who knows; it's just something we do - and why not? Yesterday, for example: drove up to Dumfries, went into the Globe, met up with a squad of boys from the Strathmore, had a pint, a laugh and a joke, went to the game - quite shite, shite result - went back to the Globe (same company), had a couple of Irn Brus, a laugh and a joke, watched half an hour of the Engl*nd v Spain game hoping for them to get a doing, left, drove home.

All in all, a fairly decent Thistle day out. Have done it countless times before over the decades, will continue to do it. Em, that's it, it's what we do.

Good answer

i gave up going to away games last season for a few reasons

- cannae really afford it, no value for money

- thistle probably wont win

- ars*hole fans - the d*cks that got chucked out of the stirling game and the st johnstone games ( dont get me wrong as there are a couple of ars*holes that sit behind me at firhill aswell.)

depending on how things are looking after january, i may pick a few away days

Edited by johnkebab71

- ars*hole fans - the d*cks that got chucked out of the stirling game and the st johnstone games ( dont get me wrong as there are a couple of ars*holes that sit behind me at firhill aswell.)

What game was this? :huh:

What game was this? :huh:

think the final score was 4-1 to stirling....some idiots started giving abuse to the linesman but went way over the top resulting in them getting into a fight with a steward and police.

must be embarising to tell your boss on a monday the reason why you were down the copshop at the weekend....

This season, more than ever before, I've been questioning why I make efforts to go to see Thistle especially when they are away from Firhill. For me this usually involves several bus and train journeys at inconvenient times, and considerable expense. And it almost always ends in disappointment, either a defeat or a uninspiring draw. Over the past few seasons I think our away record can't amount to more than one win every 7 or 8 matches (I'll let somebody else with time on their hands work out the real figure), and in fact I usually expect us to lose and start off on the journey with a feeling of dread (especially when it's Starks Park, Livi, Dens). And yet I continue to inflict this financial and psychological suffering on myself regularly. I didn't go yesterday, and regretted it right until the updates started coming in from Dumfries, then, as often happens, I ended up happy that I didn't go.

In spite of our appalling away form for years and under several different managers, our away support has held up relatively well (although numbers are definitely down on a few seasons ago). So my question is, why do people continue to go? Home matches are easier to understand because in general you are more likely to see a win at home. Away from home, the chances of seeing a victory are pretty slim, and the football on display is often miserable.

I won't be a Culter next week, but will drag myself to Ayr in a couple of weeks, expecting little from Thistle.

Fortunately or unfortunately, hope, and its what we sometimes do!!!

Edited by east lothian jag

Good answer

Not really. BJ didn't say which Globe Inn he was in. Very confusing when there's two of them :D .

btw as Wetherspoon's go the Robt the Bruce isn't a bad hostelry at all but the service is atrocious even for that chain's already poor standard. Doesn't give you a lot of actual drinking time before the train home.

Away trips have that unpredictable edge to them. Alter form of transport, pub visited and where you watch the game from. This means you end up talking to many different Jaggoes and swapping stories and the like. Some might rub you up the wrong way but overall there is always something interesting happens on away trip. If only it was the result more often ;)

I like yer avatar. Bought an entire set of those wee beauties on eBay not long ago.

:thumbsup2:

I realy enjoyed the day out yesterday until we got to the ground.

I thought the travelling support was very quiet yesterday. We were trying to get the singing going but it's hard to do when no one was prepared to join in.

Also thought it was very cynical of QOS to cordon off the whole back row. A steward tried to tell me that the seats were all "broken". When I challenged him on it he just said "Look mate, I don't know anything I usually work at Killie"

And the game itself - I don't think we'll ever get a better chance to win away from home. That was the poorest QOS team I've seen in at least 10 years, and for me there wasn't enough hunger from our players to win the game until the last 10 minutes.

The away form is still a great cause for concern. Yes we won at Dens but the players did their very best to bottle it and there's no way we would have won if it was 11 v 11.

00-01 11 wins 4 draws from 18 played

01-02 7 wins 3 draws "

02-03 3 wins 5 draws from 19 played

03-04 1 win 4 draws "

04-05 3 wins 4 draws from 18 played

05-06 8 wins 5 draws "

06-07 6 wins 3 draws "

07-08 4 wins 4 draws "

08-09 7 wins 4 draws "

09-10 5 wins 3 draws "

10-11 4 wins 5 draws "

11-12 1 win 2 draws from 6 played

Total 60 wins 46 draws from 206 played

A win or a draw every 1.9 games.

00-01 11 wins 4 draws from 18 played

01-02 7 wins 3 draws "

02-03 3 wins 5 draws from 19 played

03-04 1 win 4 draws "

04-05 3 wins 4 draws from 18 played

05-06 8 wins 5 draws "

06-07 6 wins 3 draws "

07-08 4 wins 4 draws "

08-09 7 wins 4 draws "

09-10 5 wins 3 draws "

10-11 4 wins 5 draws "

11-12 1 win 2 draws from 6 played

Total 60 wins 46 draws from 206 played

A win or a draw every 1.9 games.

Well done!

So, wins to games played away from Firhill over the last 10 years we've won exactly 60 out of 206, or 29.1%. That's not great, is it, though it's better than I'd have imagined.

Year by year it's:

00-01 61%

01-02 38.9%

02-03 15.8%

03-04 5.3%

04-05 16.7%

05-06 44.4%

06-07 33.3%

07-08 22.2%

08-09 38.9%

09-10 27.8%

10-11 22.2%

11-12 16.7%

What to make of those figures? Well, season 00-10 was clearly exceptionally good, followed by another pretty good set of results. 03-04 was especially dire, and McCall's record got progressively worse. So far, Jackie McNamara's record away from home is well below average, and we've had a few very average (to be kind) managers in the last decade.

Edited by Jaggernaut

If you don't like spending lots of money following Thistle due to the lack of good results, then it's maybe time to support someone else. You know, the Old Firm, Man Utd, Barcelona or such like.

Honestly, I've read some drivel on here but this takes the biscuit.

Moaning because Thistle don't win every week and because we actually arn't very good - well duh!

If you don't like spending lots of money following Thistle due to the lack of good results, then it's maybe time to support someone else. You know, the Old Firm, Man Utd, Barcelona or such like.

Honestly, I've read some drivel on here but this takes the biscuit.

Moaning because Thistle don't win every week and because we actually arn't very good - well duh!

Does drivel include rants that are irrelevant to the topic?

The opening question was why people choose to continue to follow Thistle away from home in spite of their consistently poor record over the last decade. It had nothing to do with any desire to support anybody else.

As for taking the biscuit, I agree that there are some Jaffa Cakes on the forum.

;)

SPL wins in Seasons 02/03 and 03/04 took about two seconds to get: Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Hibs and Hibs. Was at 3 of them, but missed the bus for the last one. Hibs away for Chic and Lambie's retirements was an amazing day out. I remember a guy in a chicken mascot costume smashed out his puss walking up the middle of Easter Road. All our supporters buses were in a big queue behind him but he seemed oblivious. Great day out. If we'd just not hired GC we might've hung around a bit...