This Man Cairney

Jaggernaut

Yesterday I spent a lot of the match watching Cairney, who in my opinion is the only really serious contender for Player of the Season so far. His work-rate and dig are unbelievable, although he's neither the fastest (at getting past opponents) nor great at winning headers. But I also noticed that so many of our moves go through him, to the point yesterday where although guys could have gone on a run by themselves, they waited until Cairney got nearer and then passed to him, and he started the attack. It clearly looks like McNamara has decided that Cairney is the engine horse of the team. And he scores! Great to see him playing so well after last season's relatively poor to indifferent performances.

That may be true, but didn't Cairney get struck down by some kind of virus which kept him under the weather for months last year?

That may have been a factor. Why select a player who is ill or not fully fit? Darren Fletcher was not rushed back by Man Utd.

It may be just a coincidence that Cairney is out of contract at the end of the season. The form of some of our players has declined after they got new 2 year deals. :thinking:

An early contender for this week's turn a positive into a negative award :thumbsup2:

When he first arrived I thought he had all the makings of a future Jags captain. I think Cairney now he's back on track could well be Archie's successor.

Not having pace probably means Paul won't attract much interest from clubs above our league. His consistency more or less means he'll play every week. What he lacks in pace he makes up for in stamina so he'll be on the park for 90 mins. He takes the penalties and other deadballs (corners still need to improve, tho') so he's an all round importance to the team.

Cairney's future probably lies back playing central mid but it looks to me that he's enjoying the wider role at the moment.

without doubt player of the season so far. looks half a stone lighter, and if diddies like buchanan and boyle can play spl, cairney would easily fit in. hope we get him signed up, he's got a lot to offer. despite the relativly shit season we've had, Jackie's best call has been moving Cairney wide left, really threatens cutting in on his right every time, good on him.

Last season it was Boyle who turned it all around and won the support over. Cairney has done it this season.....wonder who will be the next one.

Cairney did have some sort of illness last season and that hampered him. Man Utd have a considerably larger squad and therefore could afford to give Fletcher all the time he needed to get rid of his. That is something the Jags did not have the benefit of. Though maybe too much was asked of Paul last season.

As for the rest of the players, its all about opinions as to who is playing well and who isn't. Yesterday for instance, saw at least one comment stating that Erskine was not good. Jackie on the other hand has praised his performance.

Stewart was another who seemed to cause a bit of debate last night.

For every player you will find groups who are as equally passionate as each other as to whether that player is good or bad..................that is except Willie Callaghan...all of us who saw him all agreed he was rotten.

That may have been a factor. Why select a player who is ill or not fully fit? Darren Fletcher was not rushed back by Man Utd.

The website is WE ARE THISTLE.This is a clue as to the Club we support.We have a small pool of players backed up by u-19s.

We do not have the luxury of giving players time to fully recuperate.This is the reality of our situation.

On Saturday when I saw the way players were deliberately holding up in order to feed the ball to Cairney, I also started to imagine seeing Lennon at his peak.

Now that someone has agreed with me, my expectations are going to be very high when I manage to get to a game this season. Never a good thing having high expectations for anything related to thistle.

Now that someone has agreed with me, my expectations are going to be very high when I manage to get to a game this season. Never a good thing having high expectations for anything related to thistle.

Well may I ask that you try and keep those expectations in order. Cairney is having a great season, he has improved greatly on last season and looks very fit. He is not of the standard of Danny Lennon. Now that's not to say he won't reach those standards and I'd love to see that happen but he ain't there yet.

One thing is for sure, if the rest of the squad start to play close to how Cairney has been to date, then we will have a good 2012.