Future Captain

lennythistle

Archie's contract is up in the summer and while he has been a superb player for the club, his best days a clearly behind him. He's not the quickest any more and after two very serious injuries perhaps this summer could see him hang up his boots and go into coaching.

Now without writing Archie off, as this is not my intention but should Archie stop playing I've a suggestion for taking over as club captain.

Paul Paton.

Now I know Paul's contract is also up in the summer, but what I witnessed on Saturday I think he could make a very good captain. He seems to excel in his new role in the team, protecting the back four. He offers plenty of encouragement to his team mates and shows plenty of drive and determination. I also noticed in the changing room, that Paul seems to be the voice in there. Some of the lads are quite quiet. Paul seemed to be the one with the drive, humor (oh and if you ever have a family member/friend who is mascot and you find yourself in the changing room, take ear plugs......Feck the music, and i use the term loosely , the lads listen to is just awful).

Paul may well be playing for a new contract, if he gets it, he could well find himself being the leader of the squad.

Paul would be my choice of captain as well. A different Paul tho'.

Any captain by definition has to be a player that's an automatic first team choice. In that respect at this moment I think Cairney is well ahead. Will say tho' that Paton has shown recently he's not a one trick pony and would probably make a fine captain.

I also believe that apart from the two Pauls a strong candidate for captain would be Willie Kinniburgh. That would maybe on face value seem a strange choice but I happen to believe he's exactly the right sort of character that makes a good captain. Willie of course would have to show the sort of form that would mean he's a shoe in for a centre back position.

Archie's contract is up in the summer and while he has been a superb player for the club, his best days a clearly behind him. He's not the quickest any more and after two very serious injuries perhaps this summer could see him hang up his boots and go into coaching.

Now without writing Archie off, as this is not my intention but should Archie stop playing I've a suggestion for taking over as club captain.

Paul Paton.

Now I know Paul's contract is also up in the summer, but what I witnessed on Saturday I think he could make a very good captain. He seems to excel in his new role in the team, protecting the back four. He offers plenty of encouragement to his team mates and shows plenty of drive and determination. I also noticed in the changing room, that Paul seems to be the voice in there. Some of the lads are quite quiet. Paul seemed to be the one with the drive, humor (oh and if you ever have a family member/friend who is mascot and you find yourself in the changing room, take ear plugs......Feck the music, and i use the term loosely , the lads listen to is just awful).

Paul may well be playing for a new contract, if he gets it, he could well find himself being the leader of the squad.

Good shout mate I would say, my boy was the mascot in the home game v Dundee and he vas very vocal. Apart from him Paul Cairney is the only other obvious shout for me! Certainly not Scott Fox..........good keeper but he is sooooooooooo quiet!! :sleep1:

Not a bad shout.

Cairney?

Presumably Rowser has another season in him.

Nah,leave Cairney to concentrate on his own game, don't think he has the right mindset tobe captain. Paton wouldn't be a bad shout but feel Rowser and an injury free Kinniburgh would be ahead of him.

a strong candidate for captain would be Willie Kinniburgh. That would maybe on face value seem a strange choice but I happen to believe he's exactly the right sort of character that makes a good captain. Willie of course would have to show the sort of form that would mean he's a shoe in for a centre back position.

Agreed and, as I said, he'd need to stay injury free.

Edited by Steven H