Proven Goalscorers

Norgethistle

With the jags lack of goals this year i got thinking, maybe through rose tinted glasses, but there seems to be a complete lack of out and out reckonised goal scorers in most of the clubs outwith the big boys these days, looking back in my times we had Mccoy, Campbell, Mcclean, Gallagher, to name a few, all the clubs had a hit man. Has the game changed, keepers got better, defences more organised is it the ball or as a nation are we just crap in front of goal these days. I can remember every team coming to firhill in the rooney, auld, lamont and lambie days having good strikers, whits went wrong

Good strikers cost money and command good wages if out of contract, we don't have money.

We will have to get one on loan or raise our own from the youths.

Should Roberts have been let go?

Maybe all the 1st division clubs had money then, the Ken Eadie at clydebank Johnny Flood at airdrie, Rowan Alexander at morton, colin mcglashin at clyde John Brogan at accies, all about the same era and this is just a few, maybe it just seemed better players in our league then

Edited by Norgethistle

Roberts is prob finished but he has still scored 5 goals this season, which is more the Stewart, Fraser, Burns, put together and 1 more than Elliott, 1 less than Doolan. Christ we are poor up front.

Not gonnae disagree there. All our forwards except Doolan are mince.

The standard of attacking and entertaining players throughout this league is rubbish. Erskine is one of a very small number which is why I never understand the crowd getting on his back. What he tries often fails spectacularly but at least he has the courage to take a man on, make runs and shoot.

The standard of attacking and entertaining players throughout this league is rubbish. Erskine is one of a very small number which is why I never understand the crowd getting on his back. What he tries often fails spectacularly but at least he has the courage to take a man on, make runs and shoot.

Apart from yesterday when he chose not to shoot with the far corner wide open and instead passed to an offside Doolan. That apart I thought that was one of his better games yesterday, which probably ain't saying much.

I like Erskine as well. Would any one else consider playing Cairney up front as being an option? He couldn't be any worse but would his midfield presence be missed too much?

I'd play Cairney behind Doolan as an attacking midfielder with a free role. Erskine and O'Donnell as wingers and Rowson and Paton in centre midfield, a 4-2-3-1 type setup.

Re: goalscorers in this league, the guys that are leading the way are McMenamin, who despite always scoring against us, most folk would have been pretty "meh" about, and Farid at Falkirk who obviously picked a guy from absolutely nowhere that's turned out to be a winner. There's not a lot of obvious candidates.

Oddly enough, if I had to pick a team's strikers in this division to have at Firhill I'd choose Raith (Caslinovo, Baird, and Clarke) but they're not setting the heather on fire... well not til Saturday.

I like Erskine as well. Would any one else consider playing Cairney up front as being an option? He couldn't be any worse but would his midfield presence be missed too much?

I can see why Cairney is preferred out wide at the moment. He's been too prone lately to getting caught in possession to play thru the middle. Also I wasn't surprised he was subbed yesterday as he was done in.

Still tho' a big influence in midfield so would be a big decision to move him forward. Might work, tho'.

So where have the Roddy Grants, Rob MacDonalds, Issac English' and Gerrreeeeeees gone?

He only scored 16 goals in 119 appearances! Albeit most were from the bench

There is a distinct lack of affordable proven goalscorers out there. We've tried with the Dargos, Lovells and Dodds in the past. I'd rather throw in McGrotty, Naismith and Fraser in for 2-3 games to give them a fair run in the side. Elliot, Doolan and Stewart need a good shock to the system.

Cairney up front isn't a bad idea - he's wasted out there on the left/right.

There is a distinct lack of affordable proven goalscorers out there. We've tried with the Dargos, Lovells and Dodds in the past. I'd rather throw in McGrotty, Naismith and Fraser in for 2-3 games to give them a fair run in the side. Elliot, Doolan and Stewart need a good shock to the system.

Is that all? Must have a selective memory, I thought he was a cracking player.

A very difficult skill to master especially from a sedentary position.

On Cairney I think he looked good at the top of the diamond (Paton in front of the back row, Hutton & Rowson in the middle) with the two full backs getting forward. If we could only get somebody with a decent pass percentage rate to replace Hutton then I feel Cairney would be at his best in this forward position. The lad Welsh.is supposed to be decent re distribution. I wouldn't judge him on the game at Almondvale as everybody about him was just as poor. Didn't see much to suggest he could replace Hutton. Can but hope..

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

We passed up the opportunity to sign a proven goalscorer at this level in Tam McManus. At this moment in time, Christie isn't good enough, in my opinion. His awareness, first touch, ability to beat a man, aerial ability, etc. are all poor. I think he's got decent potential but we desperately need someone to put the ball in the net on a semi-regular basis.

I am staggered that Jackie thinks our current options are adequate to see us stave off any relegation battle. I feel sorry for Doolan because, with decent service and a proper strike partner, he could gain attention from bigger clubs. But that's never going to happen playing alongside a bloody diddy like Stewart.

Kris Doolan was last years top scorer in an albeit low scoring first division. He's currently third top scorer in the division on eight (five behind El Alagui and one behind McMenamin), this shows that when we create opportunities for him he can put them away.

The poor form we've had recently wasn't down to poor shooting, but an inability to create chances. In the Morton highlights we looked like we created a fair few chances near the start, but as it had been months since the forwards had to get on the end of something they weren't getting into the exact right positions. If we can continue to provide the chances we did for Doolan last night (though bearing in mind that last night was against a part-time team) we'll see a good few more goals from him; I don't know if it is just my perception of him, but it seems that when he scores a couple he tends to go on a good run of form.

Kris Doolan was last years top scorer in an albeit low scoring first division. He's currently third top scorer in the division on eight (five behind El Alagui and one behind McMenamin), this shows that when we create opportunities for him he can put them away.

The poor form we've had recently wasn't down to poor shooting, but an inability to create chances. In the Morton highlights we looked like we created a fair few chances near the start, but as it had been months since the forwards had to get on the end of something they weren't getting into the exact right positions. If we can continue to provide the chances we did for Doolan last night (though bearing in mind that last night was against a part-time team) we'll see a good few more goals from him; I don't know if it is just my perception of him, but it seems that when he scores a couple he tends to go on a good run of form.

That's a fair assessment. Watch for another couple from Dools at Kirkcaldy on Sat.