Ball Boys

Magyar55

young rodge is a ballboy.wasnt there last night as he trains with stenny on a tuesday.tad unfair i think on the ones that were there.for one terrible night kids not kitted out for conditions.Kids also do it for the love of it get nothing of club not even a programme.

Has been a big tunover of kids aswell lately.so only a few have been there for a couple of seasons..One parent was at one point going to shout kid back into jh stand as conditions were that bad.

hope it maybe clears up a few points.

I did a season as a ball-boy, 95-96 relegation season. At the time the deal was no too bad, you got a pie, a programme and a pound coin, plus I got to meet some big names (mostly due to the hu.ns spending money they probably didn't have but thats another story).

I always remember Nicky Walker being great with the ballboys, some players were tadgers to be honest but the big goalie was excellent. After he'd done the majority of his warm-up he'd let the ball-boys finish it by taking shots at him or delivering crosses, at 12 years old it was brilliant. Maybe if the players involved the young boys a bit more, even just for 5 minutes, they'd have reason to be more enthusiastic. (Although I wasn't there the other night and by all accounts the weather was horrendous so maybe people should cut them some slack!!)

Edited by cjptfc

I always remember Nicky Walker being great with the ballboys, some players were tadgers to be honest but the big goalie was excellent. After he'd done the majority of his warm-up he'd let the ball-boys finish it by taking shots at him or delivering crosses, at 12 years old it was brilliant. Maybe if the players involved the young boys a bit more, even just for 5 minutes, they'd have reason to be more enthusiastic. (Although I wasn't there the other night and by all accounts the weather was horrendous so maybe people should cut them some slack!!)

Nicky Walker is a great guy, so generous and just a total professional. My wee brother loved him when he was younger and was heartbroken when he left for Aberdeen, so my dad wrote him a letter to say thanks, and every year for about 5 years at Christmas we received a huge hamper of Walkers shortbread stuff, the guy is an absolute legend. Without doubt, my all time favourite Jags player. He's as every bit as good a keeper as he is a man. Legend!

Being an ex-ball boy myself I always like to look at what the ball boys are doing. The last two games have had good "ball boy moments". The poor lad that fell on the wet grass last Saturday. I'm sorry but it was funny. And the performance of the wee JH stand side ball boy at the Ayr match was brilliant.

While the performance of the ball boys is not as good as in my day (1959), the same could be said about the fans. OK I'm biased.

Only once do I remember being advised or trained and that was when Willie Thornton once said to me when near the dugout "not so fast with the opposition son!"

I noted at Dingwall last week that this prospective SPL club had no ball boys. It imay be a tight wee ground but the lack of ball boys does slow things a bit.

Nicky Walker is a great guy, so generous and just a total professional. My wee brother loved him when he was younger and was heartbroken when he left for Aberdeen, so my dad wrote him a letter to say thanks, and every year for about 5 years at Christmas we received a huge hamper of Walkers shortbread stuff, the guy is an absolute legend. Without doubt, my all time favourite Jags player. He's as every bit as good a keeper as he is a man. Legend!

Remeber seeing him play in goals for Scotland against the USA in 96 (albeit for the last 10 mins)

When I did it (about 97-99 I think) I was always behind the city end goal, Kenny Arthur was always telling us whether to slow down or hurry up late in the 2nd half depending on the score at the time.

Maybe there's a lack of communication between our current squad and the ball boys? I think a trip to maryhill McDonalds is in order.

A great story about a great guy!

I did a season as a ball-boy, 95-96 relegation season. At the time the deal was no too bad, you got a pie, a programme and a pound coin, plus I got to meet some big names (mostly due to the hu.ns spending money they probably didn't have but thats another story).

You must've been a ballboy roundabout the same time as me. I got the big mans gloves after the last game of the season and to this day regret using them to play with my mates on red ash pitches and ruining them :(

I suppose I should post the link to my Thistle claim to fame as well :)

i was a ballboy at Firhill during the Willie Thornton/Jackie Husband days,when the Jags were in front we took as long as possible getting the ball,if we were drawing or getting beat,we coulndnt get to the ball quick enough.If i remember correctly we received one and sixpence to cover our travel.You could also use the big plunge bath after the players,looking back on it dont quite see the attraction.now.Jackie was kind enough to treat an in-growing toenail for me,i always remember him saying that i should cut my toenails "squarely",havent always done it but have always remembered it.Those were the days!!

You must've been a ballboy roundabout the same time as me. I got the big mans gloves after the last game of the season and to this day regret using them to play with my mates on red ash pitches and ruining them :(

I suppose I should post the link to my Thistle claim to fame as well :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dfFMwBK8QE&nomobile=1

That's fantastic. Albert Craigs 16th goal of the season, in the Premier League. Imagine how quickly the old firm (or maybe just celtic, now) would be sniffing about a midfielder like him nowadays.................................