Montpellier

chunky jag

Came 14th last season, spent 2m euros in the summer, and won the league, remarkable. Were 80-1 to win the title pre-season, truly incredible.

Anyone follow French football, how has this happened? I do love it when big spending clubs are beaten by lesser clubs, PSG throwing about money like nobodies business.

Almost equally spectacular, but in the other direction, is the fall from the top flight of Racing Strasbourg. Used to be one of the biggest of the big teams in France, European Competitions, suffered relegation after relegation in the last 15 years or so, and are now playing the equivalent of junior football, with virtually no chance of coming back.

Almost equally spectacular, but in the other direction, is the fall from the top flight of Racing Strasbourg. Used to be one of the biggest of the big teams in France, European Competitions, suffered relegation after relegation in the last 15 years or so, and are now playing the equivalent of junior football, with virtually no chance of coming back.

Sigh...stade de la meinau used to be jumping as well...

Big club with a great history, never able to establish themselves as a big player. Constantly unstable and it showed on the pitch. I think they will come back though. They can attract a huge amount of support in the region and if they can find their feet and get a stable investor then they will be back. It's Racing Club de Strasbourg btw :P.

As for Montpellier, gutted they won. Have a fondness for PSG as before their Ultra groups were disbanded, they had the best atmosphere in France. Great experience.

What's their jersey like? Do you also collect women's fitted replica tops?

I think Metz were relegated to the third tier this season also. Shame-have always kept an eye out for their results since the Intertoto days...

Likewise. Yes I think they're similar to us in that since our game back in the 90s they've yo-yoed a bit. What a great day that was. Can anyone confirm this for me, is it urban legend or did Nicky Walker really drop 3 pints in the square after the match?

Big club with a great history, never able to establish themselves as a big player. Constantly unstable and it showed on the pitch. I think they will come back though. They can attract a huge amount of support in the region and if they can find their feet and get a stable investor then they will be back. It's Racing Club de Strasbourg btw :P.

As for Montpellier, gutted they won. Have a fondness for PSG as before their Ultra groups were disbanded, they had the best atmosphere in France. Great experience.

I was in Strsbourg for three months in 1991. RCS was a solid middle 1st division club. Saw them play Monaco (with Klinsmann in the team) and against PSG. They were a good side and the stadium was full... Those were the days...

He is 100% real.

Surely not. Nobody can be that ridiculous. Has someone met him or something?

I was in Strsbourg for three months in 1991. RCS was a solid middle 1st division club. Saw them play Monaco (with Klinsmann in the team) and against PSG. They were a good side and the stadium was full... Those were the days...

Yup, when the stadium is full it's electric. Disappointed the stadium will be upgraded for the European Championship in 2016. Love the stadium and no doubt the kop will be completely changed. The amazing fact is they have been relegated at least once every decade for the last 60 years. As I said though, they will back in the big leagues.

Surely not. Nobody can be that ridiculous. Has someone met him or something?

Yup, when the stadium is full it's electric. Disappointed the stadium will be upgraded for the European Championship in 2016. Love the stadium and no doubt the kop will be completely changed. The amazing fact is they have been relegated at least once every decade for the last 60 years. As I said though, they will back in the big leagues.

The club took a massive psychological hit when the Strasbourg city government refused to spend any money to upgrade the stadium for the World Cup when it was held in France. That meant that Strasbourg, the "European Capital" (in the eyes of the French), was totally by-passed for the WC. The club then also started getting less direct financial support from the city, which meant that their players and coaching staff became second rate, then it gradually went down to third rate, etc.

I'm not so sure they'll make their way back to the top flight; it's a very long way to go. But it would be a great "fairytale" story if they did.

The club took a massive psychological hit when the Strasbourg city government refused to spend any money to upgrade the stadium for the World Cup when it was held in France. That meant that Strasbourg, the "European Capital" (in the eyes of the French), was totally by-passed for the WC. The club then also started getting less direct financial support from the city, which meant that their players and coaching staff became second rate, then it gradually went down to third rate, etc.

I'm not so sure they'll make their way back to the top flight; it's a very long way to go. But it would be a great "fairytale" story if they did.

I thought the club purposely rejected the upgrades? Was so long ago though and I'm really too young to remember back then. I would disagree about the players becoming second rate, they still had a semi decent squad and managed to win the French Cup in 2005. There was a decline, but I still think it was done to the shoddy handling of the club by the board a few years ago. Some of the forums were full of hatred as the board as they were letting the club die.

I feel they will, although not overnight. It will take a long time to rebuild the club. Hopefully it doesn't take too long as the longer it takes, the more fans the club will lose. Would be an unbelievable story though.