Scotland Tonight

David Stevenson

Don't know if anyone saw this "debate". Godawful.

Alex Thomson of C4 (good guy), Archie McPherson (****), wee journalist from the Daily Mail who's name escapes me (bit of a ****) and Gordon Smith (total ****)..... Basically "Three muppets and Alex Thomson"…..

Thomson: laying it out about the alienation of SFL clubs and fans by Regan/Doncaster; standing up for integrity and the need to move forward rather than try to turn the clock back to the "good old days" when Rangers were calling the shots.

Gordon Smith: (he can’t see the irony in his own idiot comments): bragging about Oldco Rangers four European final appearances when they had their last moment of disgrace in Manchester while spending money they never had with a squad pumped up on EBTs… Going on about what Rangers (and Celtic) "bring to the economy". A £100M hole in the tax income in the case of Rangers… You couldn't make it up.... Moaning about the pishy wee teams having a say on the future of the MIGHTY GLASGOW RANGERS. He must have been reading Billy Dodds and Burley at the weekend…

Archie McPherson: calling for a cull of SFL clubs, as he did on Off the Ball at the weekend. (I bet Regan and Donkey love the concept)…. What would happen if he had his way: take the £500K the bottom ten clubs get, divide it between the remaining 32, and they get less than £16K apiece. That wouldn’t even employ Daniel Cousin for 3 weeks (assuming you meet the NI payments of course…). That should sort everything out….

His other line: the fans of the rest of the SPL teams are only moaning because they’re jealous and can shuffle up a place while Rangers are in the lower leagues. Nothing to do with industrial scale corruption at all……

That wee journalist: fans don’t matter,”Uncle Rupert” will call the shots (cheered on by the other deidheids….).

Bring on the empty stadiums if the Regan/Doncaster axis try to force SPL2… I do, however, think they are right that if the SFL clubs do the right thing tomorrow then Regan and Doncaster will make a swift attack.

I've seen various people muse over Doncaster's apparent conversion to (at least being open to) sensible change.

Having as recently as last year said the SPL should be truncated rather than expanded, he is now appending his name to the notion that the SPL should have up to 16 clubs and signing up for a committee that will consider just about any change, unified administration and a different economic model. Why?

Here's my theory, for what it's worth....

The public NO votes with regard to a 1st Division entry for Sevco have been piling up and it has become more rather than less likely that the verdict of the SFL clubs will be Div3 for Sevco.

The proposals for the reconstruction of the league and administrative set-up are dependant on the 1st div solution, so if that fails to come to pass, Donkey, Regan and the compliant media hacks will rant and rave about the SFL not caring about Scottish fitba and that the pishy wee teams were given the opportunity to engage and improve things but have shown themselves unfit for the purpose, blah blah blah....

Regan will then be unleashed in his Rottweiler mode to fulfil his threat of SFA intervention, introducing SPL2 (membership by invitation only; first invitation addressed to Sevco) and cutting the rest of the SFL adrift.... Job done....

Alternatively, if the SFL cave in and accept Sevco into the 1st Div, they go through the motions of the committee, ensure either a conclusion that they are happy with or alternatively no solution whereupon they call in Regan to set wheels in motion on 1st December.

Meanwhile, Sevco are in the 1st Division with a top 4 finish enough to guarantee them a shot at promotion should they do a Dundee and outspend the rest of the Division but fail to win the title race......

I think rejection of the SFL1 option is looking more likely. In that case, it is crucial that SFL clubs stick together and reject SPL2. We’ll see where the SPL clubs really stand if it comes to that of course. An EGM of the SFA will probably be needed to yank Regan’s chain too if not see him off altogether.

Edited by David Stevenson

It was quite revealing how those 3, particularly Smith and McPherson, just don't get it.... They just don't understand that folk don't want their clubs used as a vehicle by newco to get into the Spl. It's spite don't you know. Thompson must feel like an alien beamed down to a strange planet.

Evidently we are all spiteful eejits that need to be put in our place for the benefit of Scottish football.

Here's hoping SFL do the right thing tomorrow and SFA try and fail to form SPL2. If only the SFL clubs hold their nerve.

I watched it also. David Stevenson's summing up of the programme and the likely aftermath are spot on. Alex Thomson from Channel 4 is great but alas there seems to be no one in the Scottish media that speaks for the fans. Archie should be compulsory retired from any programme like that. He has completely lost it. He has twice now tried to make a point about what a Dundee United player has said. But alas Archie himself cannot seem to make the point. What an embarrassment he is. Smith cringed when Thomson said Scottish football has been really badly run by people for years. All Smith could do was mention the usual guff that the old Rangers were a massive club etc. The wee Daily Mail guy put it all down to the fact that other fans hate Rangers and integrity should have nothing to do with it. He thought he was good when he said it's really all up to Mr Murdoch. Alex Thomson was in the middle of letting him know how stupid he was when they ran out of time.

Insightful stuff, Mr Stevenson. What I'm sure of is that Doncaster & Regan are now plotting life after newco being punted into SFL3.

Wonder if they have thought what to do if they get rejected from SFL3 too? It might accelerate their sudden lust for SPL2 by invitation only.

They should both resign

What is absolutely clear is that nobody should believe anything that Doncaster or Regan says. The former in particular just seems to make things up on the spot, with absolutely no insight or acknowledgement of the self-contradictory nature of everything he spouts.

He is out of his league, but the SPL deserve him.

What is absolutely clear is that nobody should believe anything that Doncaster or Regan says. The former in particular just seems to make things up on the spot, with absolutely no insight or acknowledgement of the self-contradictory nature of everything he spouts.

He is out of his league, but the SPL deserve him.

Absolutely. It's one thing I've thoroughly enjoyed over the last few weeks - seeing ND in particular being shown up as a buffoon.

Surprised by Regan though. I thought he might have been a decent appointment. But his mis-steps have been almost breathtaking. And maybe more to come...

The main thing that annoys me about Doncaster is he is the SPL representitive, the SPL have already had there vote for member clubs where the unanimously voted for Sevco not to be admitted to the SPL. Therefore it is now nothing more to do with the SPL and down to the SFL whether they will accept Sevco's application of membership, yet he is still shouting his mouth off and making stupid claims. Regan is just as pathetic and nothing more than both there resignations at soon as possible with suffice.

The main thing that annoys me about Doncaster is he is the SPL representitive, the SPL have already had there vote for member clubs where the unanimously voted for Sevco not to be admitted to the SPL. Therefore it is now nothing more to do with the SPL and down to the SFL whether they will accept Sevco's application of membership, yet he is still shouting his mouth off and making stupid claims. Regan is just as pathetic and nothing more than both there resignations at soon as possible with suffice.

I suppose while the 'league structure reform' card is effectively on the table then he does have some role to play. To be fair.

But it does make you wonder why they haven't made moves to fill the club 12 space. The SPL are still pushing an agenda for their own benefit,,which belies the smugness of some of their support....

Lots of rumours swirling around, including that there may be a vote of no confidence in ND and SR being put forward at todays meeting.

Lets hope this becomes reality and it speedily leads to their seeking employment south of the border thereafter.

Edited by yoda-jag

Lots of rumours swirling around, including that there may be a vote of no confidence in ND and SR being put forward at todays meeting.

Lets hope this becomes reality and it speedily leads to their seeking employment south of the border thereafter.

Can't see how that would work. Surely ND and SR are employed by different organisations? It'd be the same as them having a vote of 'no confidence' in Rupert Murdoch - pointless.

Unless there's some form of statement suggesting no confidence in working with organisations lead by them to deliver the structural change implied by resolution ii....