Terracing @ City End

stuart_adam

In all honesty, I was a huge fan of the terracing at the City end as a wee one when I used to visit Firhill. and after witnessing OneThistle's project in the away stand, I really dont see why we dont reintroduce terracing. if we get to the SPL, we can leave it empty, it doesnt cost much to maintain does it?

I also imagine it wouldnt be too expensive to implement. A load of concrete with a few poles....

Surely this has to be an option?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all honesty, I was a huge fan of the terracing at the City end as a wee one when I used to visit Firhill. and after witnessing OneThistle's project in the away stand, I really dont see why we dont reintroduce terracing. if we get to the SPL, we can leave it empty, it doesnt cost much to maintain does it?

I also imagine it wouldnt be too expensive to implement. A load of concrete with a few poles....

Surely this has to be an option?

Doubt the club would be willing to spend a penny on any sort of construction. Concrete is more expensive than you might think and they'd also need catering, toilets and turnstyles/exits which would be awkward.

There is an existing concrete area between the bing and the advertising hoardings. If anything 100 - 200 folk could stand in there quite easily? All they would need to do is provide some sort of access via the JHS. Alternatively, where the disabled area is/was could be an option?

I think stewarding is the biggest obstacle. When you're realistically only getting 2500 through the gates even stewarding two stands is quite a significant investment, so stewarding a third isn't good, especially when you consider that terracing probably wouldn't get any more people in.

And then, as mentioned, you would need to provide catering, toilets, etc, which would cost more money than the club would be willing or able to spend.

It would be tremendous if we were in a position to build a small covered terracing at the city end. If I won the euro millions I would pay for it myself.

However, a few things to consider here.

Cost - thousands of pounds that the club doesn't have

Regulations - if we got to the SPL we wouldn't be able to use it anyway. I really hope that the rules change in that respect, but even if they do, how many clubs are in a position to spend money on re-installing terracing?

I LOVE standing on the terracing - Somerset Park is my favourite place to visit, and I feel that all-seater stadiums are one of the main reasons that so many people have turned their back on scottish football in the last few years.

However, we are where we are. Until the regulations on terracing and all seater stadia change, there is nothing we can really do about this.

I love Somerset Park, easily my favourite away day!

However, any change in the rules would be to introduce "safe standing" areas like in Germany, where everyone has their own railing. I've never experienced it, but it sounds good enough, though they would have to replace the existing seats and that comes back to the issue of money which the club simple doesn't have.

I do like the approach of turning a blind eye to standing in the North Stand, so let's be thankful for what we have.

I love Somerset Park, easily my favourite away day!

However, any change in the rules would be to introduce "safe standing" areas like in Germany, where everyone has their own railing. I've never experienced it, but it sounds good enough, though they would have to replace the existing seats and that comes back to the issue of money which the club simple doesn't have.

I do like the approach of turning a blind eye to standing in the North Stand, so let's be thankful for what we have.

Ha, flashback from Saturday..."we're allowed tae stand, we're allowed tae stand. Ur no' ur no'" :tongue2:

• 2 weeks later...

Why can't the City End of the Ground be tidied up. It looks terrible on the Highlights show.

Surely someone with a bit of clout could get an advertiser or sponser to cover all of the grassed area

and show off their respective logo's such as on the floodlight pylons and above the players pitch entry.

Anything has got to better than looking at that terrible mess behind the City Goal Posts!

It's been six years since this saga with the bing started. Could do much worse than hand it over - however temporarily - to garden centre firms, gardeners or allotment groups. A quid pro quo with Dobbies perhaps. I've run out of memory space trying to recall how many times this has come up.

The flipside, as suggested, is to pepper it with sponsors' logos. Better still would be a boot up the arse for the people who own it to do something with it. The bing is not entirely the club's problem. :innocent2:

It's been six years since this saga with the bing started. Could do much worse than hand it over - however temporarily - to garden centre firms, gardeners or allotment groups. A quid pro quo with Dobbies perhaps. I've run out of memory space trying to recall how many times this has come up.

The flipside, as suggested, is to pepper it with sponsors' logos. Better still would be a boot up the arse for the people who own it to do something with it. The bing is not entirely the club's problem. :innocent2:

Let's form a guerrilla gardening group, break in and doo up the bing.

FLORAL CLOCK

Remember that whenever a shot goes astray, you will have a ball boy trampling all over your floral clock.

Anything put on the bing has to be able to withstand this. Or I guess we could fork out on extra balls.

Can I be the first then to propose a giant clock and balls.

Remember that whenever a shot goes astray, you will have a ball boy trampling all over your floral clock.

Anything put on the bing has to be able to withstand this. Or I guess we could fork out on extra balls.

Can I be the first then to propose a giant clock and balls.

This is of course true. Maybe an array of (smallish) trees to be planted there, and with red'n'yella dyed trunks; open to fan sponsorship as in the bricks enterprise. I'd certainly be up for having a 'carving' with the family name on one for, say, 50 quid.