Financial Benefit Of Today

The Earl of Hathaway

Considering that the crowd today was probably two and a half, to three thousand more than we would have expected, by my estimates that puts about £50k in the coffers that we wouldn't have budgeted for. VERY useful....

No it doesn't. About 1,000 of the gate will have been season ticket holders and there will have been a large number of under-16s not to mention a few service and ex-service men getting in for free.

I reckon probably about 2,000 extra paying customers in reality, maybe a wee bit over that. Some will have been concessions so roughly between £25,000-£30,000 I'd guess.

Enough to extend Forbes' commitment to us for a few extra months anyway.

Or give it to jackie to extend his contract

I believe Jackie doesn't have a fixed contract in that sense with us. Some one will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong but I believe he can leave any time he wants.

Even if I'm wrong I don't believe the limited extra money we could offer would influence him. He's young and ambitious and I believe what would keep him with us is a new challenge.

If we get promoted (and no one from a really big club comes in right away) he may feel the challenge of keeping us in the SPL is worth staying for. One thing that's good is that Lennon at Celtic is doing well just now and they will no doubt win their league- as I've no doubt if he was struggling they'd be looking at oor Jackie as a replacement.

I can therefore see him staying another year, at a push one more after that and then a club, probably from down south, will come in with an offer he can't refuse.

We need to enjoy the current team and football we're seeing while it lasts (thank goodness we live in the age of DVD and video downloads so we can keep our memories clearer) - when it's gone I wonder if we'll be able to get a manager who not can not just do a solid job for us but can keep the team playing something like the great football we're seeing this season.

Edit to add: I know it's a year or even two years too early to be thinking of it but who would be a good replacement for Jackie (if we could get him)? Danny Lennon?

Edited by Mr Bunny

Whatever the extra income it's a welcome boost and with such a great performance on the park and in the stands it should be interesting to see how many people come back in 2 weeks time. We've only had more than 3000 people turn up twice this season (yesterday and the opener against Falkirk) so if we can better 3000 against Livi who don't tend to bring a large away support then yesterdays game could prove to be the gift that keeps on giving.