Jags Sign Goalkeeper

ayrshire jag

It we accept that both Scully and Smith aren't up to Fox's standard, and that they're both error prone, who is our best prospect? A keeper on a temporary contract, with a very patchy record who's been playing in Azerbaijan lately, or a keeper who has been a standout player in the reserves, who has his whole career ahead of him, and has been part of our set-up for years now? I don't think it's rocket science.

By all means, have Smith there as back-up, and his top flight experience will be valuable. However, to be second choice keeper and not get game time when they main keeper is out must be absolutely galling for Scully, and I would not be surprised to see him go elsewhere if Jackie refuses to give him a chance.

• Like 1

Perhaps but again that's not for us to decide.

It's not the first OG we have scored this season, it possibly wont be the last. I am all for giving Smith a chance and seeing how he does at home against Livingston after a week of training with us.

But you're not willing to give Scully a chance based on his reserve showings?

Panic signing as we couldn't bring an emergency loan from down South & no clubs here want their reserve keeper cup-tied.

There is a reason why Smith a free agent & tonight showed why.

A week's extra training not going to help.

Get used to the defence? Surely whether or not he knows defence his job is to keeps he b all out the net?

4 corners they had tonight & aside from one he punched in to his own dy, he looked none too clever on 2 of the other 3!

Edited by Trotter

I hope Scully was unable to play, otherwise we have the situation where our reserve keeper is asked to step in because the manager signed a diddy who threw the ball in the net despite the opposition only having one shot on target.

Scully named on the bench before injured in warm up.

Glad we're at home next week. Just hope a miracle happens before then!!

He is playing in the reserve games. That is experience no?

Wasn't good enough for McGuigan or Craigen.

McGuigan on his return: “I don’t think that there is the same edge to reserve team football as there is to playing competitively. I think the last two months have really helped me, not just physically but mentally as well because it is a confidence thing. You can’t really beat playing football and the time at Albion Rovers was definitely of benefit to me, and now that I am back hopefully I can help the team out.”

Based on what I have seen I think he needs more time to develop and is not ready for 1st team football.

I've been following your argument against playing Scully and altho' not necessarily agreeing I thought I could see where you were coming from. But I think you're wrong in above. The only reason Jackie didn't want to play Ryan is to do with Scully's confidence, which is partly to do with his age. In that respect Jackie/Hinchy rightly or wrongly feel playing Ryan in key games a risk worth avoiding. Nothing to do with the lad's lack of ability or underdevelopment.