Diver Dargo

Harry Wragg

Justice was served yesterday when Dargo was yellow carded for his dive at Livi, only wish we had had the same ref (Beaton) at firhill last week, and big mooth Jeffries was at it again , why isnt he served with a touchline ban ? its coming soon !! Refereeing has gone downhill generally though and needs to be addressed !!

Muirhead put his hand on Dargo's shoulder to pull him back. Dargo falls FORWARD and pretends he's injured. Yes, it's a foul, but it's never a sending off. AND Dargo should have been booked for ungentlemanly conduct...

It was a foul and a red card. Deal with it.

It's in the past now, which is where it should be left.

• Like 1

Muirhead put his hand on Dargo's shoulder to pull him back. Dargo falls FORWARD and pretends he's injured. Yes, it's a foul, but it's never a sending off. AND Dargo should have been booked for ungentlemanly conduct...

You ought to learn the rules of the game. If it was a foul, the rules say that a the offender should get a red card as Dargo was denied a goal-scoring opportunity. If Dargo was fouled as you say, how can he be guilty of ungentlemanly conduct?

You ought to learn the rules of the game. If it was a foul, the rules say that a the offender should get a red card as Dargo was denied a goal-scoring opportunity. If Dargo was fouled as you say, how can he be guilty of ungentlemanly conduct?

For the simple reason that the physical conduct was insufficient to cause the player to go to ground, meaning that he CHOSE to fall over in order to have his opponent sent off. "Ungentlemanly" seems a perfect description to me.

(And why we should 'leave it in the past' is a mystery to me. Dargo's a diving wee snotter and we should acknowledge the fact.)

• Like 3

For the simple reason that the physical conduct was insufficient to cause the player to go to ground, meaning that he CHOSE to fall over in order to have his opponent sent off. "Ungentlemanly" seems a perfect description to me.

(And why we should 'leave it in the past' is a mystery to me. Dargo's a diving wee snotter and we should acknowledge the fact.)

More nonsense!

The physical contact was enough to be deemed a foul, as you admitted, so the referee had no option but to send Muirhead off.

More nonsense!

The physical contact was enough to be deemed a foul, as you admitted, so the referee had no option but to send Muirhead off.

Tugging another player's jersey is an automatic yellow card, tackle from behind is an automatic yellow and in most cases a straight red, simulation is an automatic yellow, holding onto an attacker in the penalty box is a yellow and a penalty, preventing a free kick being taken is an automatic yellow. But how often when any of these offenses are committed does the referee actually give out the punishment that has been prescribed. More often that not the referee exercises his discretion (or maybe can't be bothered) and does not do what he has "no option but to...".

Dargo clearly dived when Muirhead touched him, with the sole intent of getting his opponent sent off. Watch the video, he was on his way down before there was any contact. We also know that he dived when his own manager - the totally unbiased Jim Jeffries - said on TV "Dargo used his professionalism", a football euphamisn for "he dived". The hand on the shoulder was not enough to put him down, so there was no "denial of a goal scoring opportunity". The only reason there was no shot is because Dargo chose to dive rather than shoot. Given referees clearly exercise their discretion, any half decent ref would spot exactly what happened and give a reasonable punishment, foul and a yellow for the defender.

You are right about one thing, it is in the past and while it sticks in my throat that for the second time in recent years we have been put out the cup by a cheat, I totally accept it. That is after all part and parcel of watching Thistle.

But please don't defend Dargo, he dived and got away with it.

Now please stop trolling.

• Like 2

Re Muirhead I know it was almost certainly a free kick and an ordering off. Something tho' I'm not clear about and must stress I'm not really meaning this incident. So hypothetically if Player A fouls Player B say with a tap on the ankle. Player B goes down holding his head, feigning assault or more to the point vastly overreacting to the infringement (eg rolling about on the deck). Can the referee book both Player A for the foul and Player B for ungentlemanly conduct? I think I know the answer is yes but can anyone mind that happening in a Jags game or any game coming to think of it?

Re Muirhead I know it was almost certainly a free kick and an ordering off. Something tho' I'm not clear about and must stress I'm not really meaning this incident. So hypothetically if Player A fouls Player B say with a tap on the ankle. Player B goes down holding his head, feigning assault or more to the point vastly overreacting to the infringement (eg rolling about on the deck). Can the referee book both Player A for the foul and Player B for ungentlemanly conduct? I think I know the answer is yes but can anyone mind that happening in a Jags game or any game coming to think of it?

Perhaps it's relevant to point out that after that game Jefferies was talking about a pull and Dargo said he'd been clipped on the ankle. To most of us watching, it was a push - if a light one. Dargo's version looks like an excuse for going down, but at any rate it's obvious that someone somewhere was making excuses on the basis of something that didn't happen.