Contracts...

stuart_adam

Worst case scenario if we don't go up.

Erskine, Doolan, Paton, Bannigan, O'Donnell, would all step up to the SPL.

Fox, Archie, Campbell, Elliot, Rowson, Scully, would stay.

Forbes could get a contract at a higher paying 1st Div club, but probably not get a move to the SPL.

Infact this could be the scenario, even if we do get promoted!!!.

Looking it the other way round, those signed beyond 2013 are:

Balatoni

Lawless

McGuigan

Muirhead

Murray

Sinclair

Welsh

With the likeliehood of (as said above) Fox, Archie, Campbell, Elliot, Rowson, Scully all staying that's not a bad core - and not every player would go at once - Bannigan for instance would be likely to sign up for another year. If we sign Craig it will probably be for another year and a few months. Admittedly Archie would be purely back up but Rowson could still be a useful player for one more season (barring injuries) and Murray might still be useful if we didn't get promoted.

Not to mention the most important thing - if Macnamara stays I'm sure he'll have good replacements lined up. In fact I suspect if we go up we should keep most of the squad we want to keep - if we don't we'll probably sell the likes of Sinclair or Muirhead (hopefully not both) which will finance keeping the squad at a good enough level to challenge.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I think we would have a shot at keeping Bannigan and O'Donnell, still young and developing. Perhaps if they were to go, we could arrange for a season loan back. I don't think Doolan is up to the SPL. Look at all the strikers there and some good players not getting games or scoring. As a step up goes it is definitely harder for strikers.

I've mentioned elsewhere that Paton should be a priority to keep, he should stay till the end of the season as he has a chance to win the division with a club hes now been at for years and won nothing. Chance to leave on an extremely positive note. Sadly I can't see either of these players here next season, regardless of what league we are in.

Bannigan is signed up until 2014; he signed an extension earlier in the year.

ETA: Link - http://ptfc.co.uk/ne...al_for_bannigan

With regard to our out-of-contract players, I've resigned myself to losing Erskine, irrelevant of our success this season. I don't think we'll lose him in January, wouldn't be surprised to see him sign a pre-contract though. Certainly don't grudge him a move; he's began to show the same signs that Cairney did last year which suggested he was ready to step up. I reckon we potentially have two players who could play a similar role - McAleer and, possibly, Craigen. McAleer appears to have the same sort of elusiveness that Erskine possesses but also seems to be more of an out-and-out winger. I watched Craigen on Tuesday night against Albion Rovers and, apart from a lull in the second half, he was comfortably better than anything on show. He's not going to beat players the way Erskine does but he gets in good positions and can finish well.

We could lose some vital players to more lucrative contracts if SPL clubs come calling, namely Paton, O'Donnell and Doolan. I'm quietly confident that O'Donnell will re-sign, hopefully on a two-year contract as we could make a very decent profit on him if he maintains his excellent form. One of the main reasons Paton knocked back an offer in the summer (from Dundee?) was to stay closer to his daughter but I would imagine there will be a queue of more centrally based clubs interested now; would hate to lose him but, again, wouldn't grudge him a move and, more importantly, a better wage. I'm not sure what will happen will Dools; I'd like to think he'd sign on for another year. Don't think we'll have many problems getting Fox and Forbes re-signed.

Either way, we've got the spine of a very decent squad already signed up in Muirhead, Balatoni, Sinclair, Bannigan, Lawless, Welsh and McGuigan. I'm confident, should we lose any of the aforementioned out-of-contract players, that Jackie and Sid can find more than adequate replacements.

Edited by Armand2

It is a concern at the moment about our out of contract players, but what would you think about this senario, as told to me yesterday.....To keep most of our out of contract players and offer them new contracts (with or without SPL football) 1 or even 2 of our contracted players are sold in the transfer window. Seemily 2 of our signed up players are attracting the most attention from scouting teams.

ps. no names supplied

If we don't go up I fear we never will. The league is as weak as it ever will be this year and we'd have far too big a rebuilding job replacing a lot of good players.

Go up though, keep most of that lot, add in 3 or 4 and I genuinely think we will hold our own. Whats good for us is that a lot of our better players are still to enter their prime. They are stll young or are still progessively moving up in standard say from SFL3 or the juniors to SFL1 and hopefully the SPL. Dunfermline's best players for instance when they went up were journeymen like Hardie, Andy Kirk and the like, and they were well out of their depth.

• Like 1

Beatie was in the Evening Times saying he will not sell anyone for under 6 figures as we are operating on a break even budget and there has been no budget for selling players. Not willing to derail our route to the SPL. Some good news!

Tempting fate but it looks more than likely the revenue from the Morton game will exceed expectations. Could or should be a welcome factor re all the wheelin' & dealin' I assume will be going on.