Just In - Boxing Day

gettingjaggy

Something that concerned me was at many times the ball would go to Craig or another player up front and the gap between the forward line and midfield was huge. Many 2nd balls were won by Morton and we did not have enough support from midfield unlike other games when we would have 3 or 4 men charging up getting on the ball, making space and giving options (ala Arsenal in their pomp).

SoJ was excellent yesterday but went off in the second half. He was unlucky not to have a couple of goals by then, and as frustrating as his moment of selfishness was (where he fired over instead of teeing up Erskine for a tap in), it's the sign of a good striker. I hope we keep him.

Maybe the video will show it clearer but I don't think it was anything like a tap in for Erskine. Craig probably should have teed Erskine up (he scores fine with his poorer foot) but I'm sure one or two defenders were back by then (Erskine certainly wasn't in an offside position) so no certain goal.

The lead up to Craig's effort showed up Forbes at his best when he laid on the initial ball for Craig. He's comfortable on the ball in defensive situations but his lack of pace results in him giving away too many fouls for my liking, tho' ironically the one that led to a Morton goal didn't look a free kick. Had he stayed on the park Ross would've probably been my MotM but I still don't know where he fits in when Welsh is fully fit again as I don't see either Paton or Bannigan being dropped.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett