Southampton - Nigel Adkins

P-R

Bizarre decision, especially as Southampton have been improving in recent weeks. Adkins won two successive promotions and was doing a good job.

Laurie McMenemy was spot on - "Well I am shocked. I said right from the start that to finish fourth bottom in the first season in the Premier League is success.

"The ambition this year is to stay in the Premier League and they look set for that, not many teams will go to Chelsea and get a draw.

"With due respect to Pochettino, what does he know about our game? What does he know about the Premier League?

"What does he know about the dressing room, does he speak English?

"Everybody will be feeling sorry for Nigel Adkins. I don't think he'll have a problem getting another appointment."

The new manager used an interpreter at his first press conference!!

Matt Le Tissier has been very vocal in favour of Atkins and against Cortese on Twitter.

Edited by kni

could it be that old chestnut of wanting a bigger name ?

No because they have appointed a nonentity.

Adkins now fav for Blackpool job.

Doubt that he'd want it, especially with small budget. The Oystons took £33 million out of the club after it was relegated.

rearrange the following:

gives

a

fuk

who

?

Personally, I have never HEARD of Nigel Adkins and having clicked this thread am still none the wiser as to what this has to do with Thistle.

I am sure that there are plenty of forums for all you slavish followers of English football: maybe we can keep these posts to there?

rearrange the following:

gives

a

fuk

who

?

Personally, I have never HEARD of Nigel Adkins and having clicked this thread am still none the wiser as to what this has to do with Thistle.

I am sure that there are plenty of forums for all you slavish followers of English football: maybe we can keep these posts to there?

Or maybe you don't open/read the threads about people you have never heard of?

I hope Southampton go down for this.

rearrange the following:

gives

a

fuk

who

?

Who gives a **** what you think? I am interested in football in general, including Europe. Hopefully, others here share that interest rather than your narrow nationalism.

Edited by kni
  • Like 1

Depends what the owner's ambitions are for Southampton - by all accounts he's very ambitious, and recently said he thinks they could be a top 4 team. That probably sounds like nonsense to most of us, and the sacking seems very harsh at a glance, but if he feels he has seen enough to suggest Adkins isn't capable of taking them to the level he wants and even expects, why wait?

Adkins now fav for Blackpool job.

Adkins has been touted for the Blackpool job, but I doubt very much that he'd be interested as the Oystons (as others have referred to) are cold, ruthless money grabbing sons of bitches. Holloway left through frustration at their tightness and total lack of ambition, as did Appleton after just two months in the job. Several potential replacements have been contacted and told Oyston to beat it. Dick Campbell would probably tell them to GTF if he was asked too.

According to the Blackpool Gazette, Oyston asked the Dundee Utd chairman for permission to talk to Houston, which he granted. Houston got his wee hopes up but the phone call never came! No shame and no class - Oyston that is. Loathed by most Pool fans it seems.

Depends what the owner's ambitions are for Southampton - by all accounts he's very ambitious, and recently said he thinks they could be a top 4 team. That probably sounds like nonsense to most of us, and the sacking seems very harsh at a glance, but if he feels he has seen enough to suggest Adkins isn't capable of taking them to the level he wants and even expects, why wait?

Sorry, but Southampton are not and never will be a top 4 club. We've seen first hand what happens when rich owners of small-ish club try to over-inflate them financially to get them to the top, and we've seen it all crash down.

Portsmouth, Gretna - need I say anymore?

If the owner truly does thinks they are a top 4 club then he will most likely end up leading them to administration and god knows what after that. He then jumps ship and is never heard from again.

Sorry, but Southampton are not and never will be a top 4 club. We've seen first hand what happens when rich owners of small-ish club try to over-inflate them financially to get them to the top, and we've seen it all crash down.

If the owner truly does thinks they are a top 4 club then he will most likely end up leading them to administration and god knows what after that. He then jumps ship and is never heard from again.

Agreed look what happened to Leeds...the owners at Southampton must be smoking ganja with Roger Mitchell

Edited by Chicofan

So what has Pocket Hankie achieved?

From what I can see the poor start to the Season was reversed when they played a young player from the Youth Academy ,the Club have invested heavily in this element and there was seen to be resistance to playing younger players ,as mentioned earlier Pochettino had a very good record in La Liga - whilst doing this he played 22 players from the Youth Academy - that in Football is an attractive CV given cash constraints - at the other end of the scale Livi did the exact same for the same reasons -its not that unusual.

I didn't say I think Southampton are a top 4 club, I was simply discussing the owner's decision from his point of view, and he clearly has ambitions that are greater than he feels Adkins to be capable of achieving.