Anyone Else Feel Low? And How To Cheer Up?

peagreenboy

Obviously with our manager leaving emotions are running high, with some wishing him well, and others pretty pissed off. There will be a press conference from Tannadice very soon where I'm sure McNamara will wish us well but say that the job was just too big to turn down. It would be nice it he would just state he is doubling his wages, or whatever-fold increase it will be.

Yes, apparently United are selling their players and are on a reduced budget, but as people were not lacking in saying: they are a bigger club than us, so that means more cash.

It simply reinforces the point that this is nothing but a mercenary business where the bottom line is money and only money. Success is relative and clearly secondary - two possible trophies in the first division is less important than a possible top six finish in the SPL. Obviously this problem does not often keep the Thistle fan awake at night very often. Our normative behaviour of being pish means the evils of success and big business that plague teams in the English Premier League do not regularly affect us. Until now, of course.

I'm thinking of making my way to Cowdenbeath on Saturday to show my support for my football club, but what is the point? How can you really feel emotion when you're not entirely sure the people you are cheering care at all?

How many players wearing our shirt will already have one eye on the door, if not one foot halfway out of it? Either joining McNamara up at United straight away, or the first team who offers them one pound more than they're already on at Firhill as soon as the season's done?

I want McNamara to go up there and fail. Which is a terrible thing to think, really, because I don't want someone to lose his livelihood. But this is football. There's an obvious duality where reality must conflict with feeling. Tribalism demands a certain attitude to others not of your clan. It is much more than cold-headed business for the poor punters on the terraces and in the stands - or we wouldn't be there for a second! It is all about emotion. Loyalty counts for something, if only to us. Is it really too much just to want football players who actually want to play for our club? And more importantly, not leave as soon as humanly possible?

Often people exhort others to 'get behind the team' and show support to the players, and not dish out abuse ... but if they are simply watching the clock until payday and a bigger team with a fatter wallet, then whatever we say doesn't matter to them. If I want to go work out some frustrations then that's their job to take it. All we are doing is following a certain set of colours, at the end of the day.

I want to get myself up and feel better - get to Central Park and cheer Partick Thistle on. But at the moment, to be honest, it's going to be difficult.

Thanks for reading.

.............just about sums it all up.

going to be hard finding that little bit of spark to get us All

on the road to sorting out our emotions.

Man talk about a Jag with a sore heed!!!

:frantic:

FEALING BETTER ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!

amazing wot half a day makes!!??

Monra Archie n Shaggy!!

:clapping:

:fan:

Edited by Davie Thistle

You're right, there could be players with one eye on the door. But I know for a fact there are players in this squad that love playing for the Jags and are 100% committed to getting us promoted. This squad is here until the end of the season and they will fight tooth and nail to go up. They need our support. No one is going to stay at this club forever, everyone's got grand ambitions. But unlike Jackie these players can't/won't walk out on us now - no one has the money to spend. Pre-contract agreements might be made but they'll still have that Thistle jersey on until the end of the season, and so it's our duty to give them full backing.

If you take a moment to think of the players in our squad. You've got Archibald, two spells with the club, recently reached the top ten most appearances for a Thistle player. You think he's going to give up this title fight up? Bannigan, playing week-in/week-out after coming through our youth system and on the face of it absolutely loving being involved with this great club.

Stand up and be counted. Come on the Jags. :drink:

Edited by ThickAsThieves

I've never really seen it that way. I'm there to support partick thistle, not the individual people playing or managing. They come and go inevitably, it doesn't change the club. That's not to say I don't love the players when they're doing we'll for us.

That's why it's probably best not to bother learning any of the players names. All we are doing is following a set of colours.

• Like 1

That's why it's probably best not to bother learning any of the players names. All we are doing is following a set of colours.

Nah. Taking it too far. They're people, and they're football players and I'm sure they love the support and need it. And being part of a team and having shared goals etc is worth a lot. But let's be honest, we only support them because of the team they play for, and they only play for the team that pays their wages.

Obviously with our manager leaving emotions are running high, with some wishing him well, and others pretty pissed off. There will be a press conference from Tannadice very soon where I'm sure McNamara will wish us well but say that the job was just too big to turn down. It would be nice it he would just state he is doubling his wages, or whatever-fold increase it will be.

Yes, apparently United are selling their players and are on a reduced budget, but as people were not lacking in saying: they are a bigger club than us, so that means more cash.

It simply reinforces the point that this is nothing but a mercenary business where the bottom line is money and only money. Success is relative and clearly secondary - two possible trophies in the first division is less important than a possible top six finish in the SPL. Obviously this problem does not often keep the Thistle fan awake at night very often. Our normative behaviour of being pish means the evils of success and big business that plague teams in the English Premier League do not regularly affect us. Until now, of course.

I'm thinking of making my way to Cowdenbeath on Saturday to show my support for my football club, but what is the point? How can you really feel emotion when you're not entirely sure the people you are cheering care at all?

How many players wearing our shirt will already have one eye on the door, if not one foot halfway out of it? Either joining McNamara up at United straight away, or the first team who offers them one pound more than they're already on at Firhill as soon as the season's done?

I want McNamara to go up there and fail. Which is a terrible thing to think, really, because I don't want someone to lose his livelihood. But this is football. There's an obvious duality where reality must conflict with feeling. Tribalism demands a certain attitude to others not of your clan. It is much more than cold-headed business for the poor punters on the terraces and in the stands - or we wouldn't be there for a second! It is all about emotion. Loyalty counts for something, if only to us. Is it really too much just to want football players who actually want to play for our club? And more importantly, not leave as soon as humanly possible?

Often people exhort others to 'get behind the team' and show support to the players, and not dish out abuse ... but if they are simply watching the clock until payday and a bigger team with a fatter wallet, then whatever we say doesn't matter to them. If I want to go work out some frustrations then that's their job to take it. All we are doing is following a certain set of colours, at the end of the day.

I want to get myself up and feel better - get to Central Park and cheer Partick Thistle on. But at the moment, to be honest, it's going to be difficult.

Thanks for reading.

That's a genuine heartfelt message and I understand your thinking.

This whole episode though, proves beyond doubt that teams like Thistle are about the fans and what we bring to the table....everyone else comes and goes over time....only the fans stay the course.

Partick Thistle will continue to survive as long as we care about having somewhere we like to sit every other Saturday afternoon beside like minded individuals.

That's one of the reasons I support the team I do rather than some corporate entity.

Mon the Jags...whoever is in charge (Although some of them were fecking awful)