We Are Coming Down The Road

jaggy

What will the Northumberland Police do about their sectarian singing, Nothing? :thumbdown:

The new legislation in Scotland won't apply to the game obviously but I'd imagine there will be some sort of English equivalent. That said, I've been at a couple of games in England in the last couple of years and some of the stuff sung there and blanked by the polis/stewards would make your hair stand on end.

I think the section covering sectarian chants whilst abroad willl ironically apply to England. Heard Gordon Dalziel claim that the majority of sectarian chanind emanated from people(presumably who were English?) who didn't normally follow Rangers. Whilst I am impressed by Daz's ability to so rapidly anylise the composition and background of a crowd ne didn't attend, it stretches credibility to breaking point. Ah well pluc ca change.

I think the section covering sectarian chants whilst abroad willl ironically apply to England. Heard Gordon Dalziel claim that the majority of sectarian chanind emanated from people(presumably who were English?) who didn't normally follow Rangers. Whilst I am impressed by Daz's ability to so rapidly anylise the composition and background of a crowd ne didn't attend, it stretches credibility to breaking point. Ah well pluc ca change.

Gordon Dalziel should be locked up..Wallaper of the highest order!!!

Correct. Whilst there is no legislation or law governing sectarian chants in England, the sectarian law and legislation applies in Scotland,AND it is said, to Scottish clubs playing outside Scotland (whether it's England, Europe or elsewhere). So some legal eagles and Scots MSPs say.

Seemingly there were two arrests for sectarian singing, and further arrests are anticipated as the whole thing as captired on CCTV and handheld video cameras and Northumberland Police are liasing with their Strathclyde counterparts to identify them.

As for what Dalziel said - never heard it, but as stillresigned says, impressive analytical skills he seems to have. Irrelevant h u n apologist twat.

ETA: i don't expect many to be identified and prosecuted from the captured footage of sectarian singing, and those who do, will likely get wee slap on wrists and told not to be such silly boys in future, as it seems that any of the green or newblue persuasion are exempt from any real prosecution or punishment when it comes to the songs they sing - it's been going on for years unchallenged and the police and courts are shitscared of doing anything substantial about it.

Edited by yoda-jag

Just heard the h*ns singing it!!

Er, we stole it from them. The song was originally "we are the volunteers of the UVF and we're coming down the road" Referring to the militia group opposed Irish Home Rule in 1912.

Later adapted by the Partick Protestant Boys flute band as "when you hear the noise of the Partick Proddy Boys"

Then later stolen by some some Thistle fans around 1992.

Makes me think twice about singing it. Never understood why some Celtic fans thought we were singing a UVF song until I discovered the history. Mind you all 'folk' songs and traditions borrow from each other. For instance the French Christmas Carol "Etoile des Neiges" became the common football song "For ever and ever"

And some proof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpjEjwWAYQc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIuTqM7-N_s

Both quoted for historical purposes not for endorsement!

Er, we stole it from them. The song was originally "we are the volunteers of the UVF and we're coming down the road" Referring to the militia group opposed Irish Home Rule in 1912.

Later adapted by the Partick Protestant Boys flute band as "when you hear the noise of the Partick Proddy Boys"

Makes me think twice about singing it. Never understood why some Celtic fans thought we were singing a UVF song until I discovered the history. Mind you all 'folk' songs and traditions borrow from each other. For instance the French Christmas Carol "Etoile des Neiges" became the common football song "For ever and ever"

And some proof

That might explain why they have started singing it. I know nothing's original in football songs, but it's astonishing that we sing anything related to something like that. Time to bin it I would think.

We're comin', we're comin'

we're comin' down the road..

when you hear the noise of the Partick Thistle boys

Sorry, but what is wrong with those lyrics? There is no religious connotations in the song. If we had kept some of the original lyrics then there would be an issue. I'm not going to stop singing it.

If we're going down this road, then maybe we should ditch Mary fae Maryhill? That could perceived to being degrading or sexist towards woman?

• Like 1

Sorry, but what is wrong with those lyrics? There is no religious connotations in the song. If we had kept some of the original lyrics then there would be an issue. I'm not going to stop singing it.

If we're going down this road, then maybe we should ditch Mary fae Maryhill? That could perceived to being degrading or sexist towards woman?

Not to mention arachnids.

Nothing wrong with our version, but if that lot have started singing it we should disassociate ourselves with it

I'm not going to stop because a group of bigots have adopted it again and have started there own version. It could just be a one off and they might not sing it every week?

If people from other clubs are stupid enough to associate us with them, then let them be so naive and thick.

I sold all my Depeche Mode and Saturdays memorabilia on ebay after I found out Celtic were singing 'Just Can't Get Enough'. Still cuts me up inside to this day but it was the right decision to make.

And some proof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpjEjwWAYQc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIuTqM7-N_s

Interesting piece of history, which to my shame I knew absolutely nothing about will not be too keen on singing that tune in future. As you say there is a remendous amount of cross fertilisation in most folk type traditions. Where often one side wil hijack tunes, adding lyrics to suit

Were the original UVF not a 'pals battalion' from WW1?

I just wonder who composed the tune for We Are Coming. Some of these songs, like the Rangers song Follow Follow, borrow their tune from old hymns (Follow On in the case of Follow Follow).

Not to mention arachnids.

And people with squints.

Were the original UVF not a 'pals battalion' from WW1?

I just wonder who composed the tune for We Are Coming. Some of these songs, like the Rangers song Follow Follow, borrow their tune from old hymns (Follow On in the case of Follow Follow).

And people with squints.

Not quite - I think the UVF were a Protestant Militia raised to fight home rule, afterwards they became a battalion in WW1 - seemingly a higher cause but also to prove their loyalty. The current UVF is a different organisation.

I thought 'Follow, Follow' was just taken straight from a hymn "we will follow Jesus" is that what you meant?

There's no harm in singing it. Bit like when Clyde sing "Hullo, hullo we are the Bully Wee" or indeed Oxford United (my hometown team) sing "Hello, hello, we are the Oxford boys ... Swindon blood... surrender or you'll die, we all follow United" Don't join in as I know the history but don't begrudge those who do.