Scotland Worst Team Scotland Have Ever Had?

The Mighty Quinn

Micky thomas said -

“Let’s make no mistake about this — this Scotland team is the worst they have ever had.

“Wales should go there and get a victory, whether we have got Gareth Bale or not.

“We have played against teams in the past with the likes of Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness and Alan Hansen. They were great teams. They have not got that kind of top player now.

“If Wales go and play and Bale’s at his best, Wales will win, there’s no question.

“Scotland have got NOTHING of any quality to hurt to us.”

Read more: http://www.thescotti...l#ixzz2O6DF5IH4

Is this cretin trying to say he's saw every Scotland game at every level that Scotland have ever played?! I had to laugh at how nonsensical that was. What a cretin, comments like that will only serve to fire up the Scotland camp. Does anyone have any thought on what's the worst Scotland team they've ever saw? I'd go for Berti Vogts

Edited by The Mighty Quinn

We're not that bad at the moment but real quality has been thin on the ground the last decade or so however we used to do OK-ish because managers had us well organised (except for Vogts) and the limited ability we had was spread through the squad.

At the moment we have 2-3 decent forwards (although apart from Fletcher lacking experience at top level) a very good (but not top international class) group of midfield players and a rubbish defence (though a decent keeper).

It means on our day we can beat a good team but being weak at the back are also liable to be beaten by just about anybody. Until that's sorted (and some good young defenders come through - hurry up the Aarons) we will always be a dodgy team.

One thing that worries me is that Strachan seems to think Adam can play defensive midfield when all experience shows that he is a liability in that position and should be kept as far away from our penalty area as possible.

For me it has to be a Scotland win against Liechtenstein a few years ago and that particular team

Watched in disbelief as the players from a town/country with half the population of East Kilbride carved out chance after chance against our Avril Levigne led bunch of headless chickens - even though the winner went in after what felt like an extra hour of injury time there were dozens of people roundabout us just staring at the pitch, the over the top celebrations of other fans and the sh*ttiest performance ever from a team wearing the jersey - couldn't even be arsed cheering the goal myself. Went home that night in total disgust. Total disgrace.

• Like 1

For me it has to be a Scotland win against Liechtenstein a few years ago and that particular team

Watched in disbelief as the players from a town/country with half the population of East Kilbride carved out chance after chance against our Avril Levigne led bunch of headless chickens - even though the winner went in after what felt like an extra hour of injury time there were dozens of people roundabout us just staring at the pitch, the over the top celebrations of other fans and the sh*ttiest performance ever from a team wearing the jersey - couldn't even be arsed cheering the goal myself. Went home that night in total disgust. Total disgrace.

That wasn't exactly a bad team though. It was one of the worst Scotland performances of all time, delivered under the stewardship of the worst Scotland manager of all time (IMHO), but the team itself was decent. For me, the Vogts-era teams were worse in terms of the standard of player available.

Anyway, if I was Mickey Thomas I think I would be more concerned with my own team's deficiencies - such as its defence, which has already conceded eleven goals so far in the campaign - rather than talking the opposition down. He should also consider that his team were ten minutes away from being beaten at home to this side he expects to lose tomorrow on the last occasion they met, and such was their desperation to achieve parity that their golden boy was reduced to cheating in order to get his side back into it (not that he needs much of an excuse even at the best of times).

It is true that Scotland don't have a player in Gareth Bale's class. But then we didn't in the '90s either, when we qualified for tournaments regularly. One player does not a team make, and with the exception of Aaron Ramsey Bale will find himself lining up alongside inferior player to those he plays with at Spurs. He can't do it all on his own.

I reckon if Strachan plays the same kind of pressing game he did against Estonia then the aforementioned brittle Welsh defence will make mistakes, and in players such as Chris Burke, Steven Fletcher, Shaun Maloney, Steven Naismith, Jordan Rhodes and Robert Snodgrass he has attackers capable of capitalising on those mistakes. It'll be a tight one, but it's all to play for.

• 5 months later...