Doolan's Goal On Sunday

Willjag

• Members

The first Thistle game I was ever at was a 2-1 home win against St. Johnstone on 16th October 1971. I can honestly say however that I've never gone from feeling so low to feeling so high as I did on Sunday when Dools equalised with the last meaningful kick of the ball. From Aaron missing the Penalty and their fans finally finding their singing voices to sing, 'you're gonna win f*** all' to the moment Dools stuck the ball in the net was truly amazing.

I can only hope that it's at least equaled if not bettered tomorrow night. We've got this... come on Thistle!

Good starter for a thread. There have been goals that have given rise to unbridled joy for various reasons over my Jags-supporting life, but somehow Sunday's goal, welcome as it was, wasn't quite up there with some others. For complete and utter delirium for me, it has to be Billy Gibson's arse-skelper at Peterhead. All four goals at Hampden in the LCF, but I was getting bored by the time the last few went in ( :innocent2: ). The two at Love St...... Lindau's hat-trick at Stirling....... Ach, so many!

• Members

I'd actually forgotten about Gibson's Jaggernaut and yep that's up there as well. I was confident that day though even when they went 3-1 ahead on aggregate. For me it was the 'Thistle way' and I half expected it. But Sunday, it was just the feeling of going from one extreme to the other that got me. I've never experienced that level of euphoria.

• Members

Of course the absolute reverse was the Jags support in full voice at Tannadice singing 'Cheer Up Jim McLean' only for the ball to break into the middle and end up in the back of our net. I don't think I've ever went from such a high to such a low in my life.

Ouch!

Of course the absolute reverse was the Jags support in full voice at Tannadice singing 'Cheer Up Jim McLean' only for the ball to break into the middle and end up in the back of our net. I don't think I've ever went from such a high to such a low in my life.

I’ve no wish to belittle the destructive effect that depression has on people so I’ll just say that I suffered a deep feeling of morose for several days after that night at Tannadice. It was only on the Friday evening after a few drinks with friends that I finally got a grip.

I have never again allowed myself to get in such a state. Hopefully tomorrow night will not negate against that.

• Like 1

The first Thistle game I was ever at was a 2-1 home win against St. Johnstone on 16th October 1971. I can honestly say however that I've never gone from feeling so low to feeling so high as I did on Sunday when Dools equalised with the last meaningful kick of the ball. From Aaron missing the Penalty and their fans finally finding their singing voices to sing, 'you're gonna win f*** all' to the moment Dools stuck the ball in the net was truly amazing.

I can only hope that it's at least equaled if not bettered tomorrow night. We've got this... come on Thistle!

22:20 Watching the class of Ross Forbes' delivery into the box before the wild celebration is just definitive as you rightly point out!

what gent Doolan is.

as he warmed up for ages in front of our fans - some rubber man shouted on him and he just smiled. He then waved at a wee boy in a Thistle scarf and smiled at him

after his incredible goal, he looked so cool. Even when he was booked for no particular reason, he just just smiled.

well done Doolan and thanks !

No question about it, the last five minutes of extra-time in Sunday's cup final were the most dramatic I've seen in any football match ever...

Started with the deflation of impending defeat; then the dramatic penalty award; the saved penalty; the vile provocation; the beautifully executed head-butt (no glancing blow to the cheek, a proper direct hit to the bridge of the nose); the ensuing melee; the sending off; the deflation of impending defeat again; then the silky skills of Forbes and deadly timing of Doolan combine to equalise the scores with two seconds on the clock. Then, the icing on the cake, seeing twenty yards of advertising hoarding being reduced to firewood by delirious Jags fans...

It took me longer to type that than it took for the events to unfold in real life - five minutes that were worth the price of admission on their own.

• Like 2

No question about it, the last five minutes of extra-time in Sunday's cup final were the most dramatic I've seen in any football match ever...

Started with the deflation of impending defeat; then the dramatic penalty award; the saved penalty; the vile provocation; the beautifully executed head-butt (no glancing blow to the cheek, a proper direct hit to the bridge of the nose); the ensuing melee; the sending off; the deflation of impending defeat again; then the silky skills of Forbes and deadly timing of Doolan combine to equalise the scores with two seconds on the clock. Then, the icing on the cake, seeing twenty yards of advertising hoarding being reduced to firewood by delirious Jags fans...

It took me longer to type that than it took for the events to unfold in real life - five minutes that were worth the price of admission on their own.

:cheers:

From where I was seated (or standing, I can't even mind) it looked like a clear handball/penalty just after the sending off, maybe a minute or so before Doolan's goal. Anyone think the same?

From where I was seated (or standing, I can't even mind) it looked like a clear handball/penalty just after the sending off, maybe a minute or so before Doolan's goal. Anyone think the same?

Thought the same at the time, and after watching the game again, no doubt it was clear handball and penalty - but after what had happened the minute before, no way was the ref going to risk WW4 breaking out.

Just another of the many decisions the ref missed/bottled/got wrong.

Edited by yoda-jag