The Champions League Is Peesh!

Is anyone else completely bored with the champions league now? It's the same teams every year because it's fixed by that crappy seeding system, so the best teams always go through. It's about as fixed as eurovision and the boxing. i know it's all about the money, but the money comes from the fans and they're doesn't seem to be a bit of consideration shown to them. I'd love a bit of romance, give me a gothenburg v anderlecht final over barcelona v man utd any day!

i know mate, i enjoyed the final. Been totally starved of it. No world cup/euro championships is a bummer. Next Saturday in the juniors there's the west of scotland cup final, down at Pollok. Glasgow Perthshire v Glenafton. After that i think i'll move to Sweden for a couple of months, seein as they have summer football

Well, since my "other team" almost always plays in the Champions League I just can't get enough of it! :)

Seriously, last year both matches against Real Madrid where intense! This years matches against Barcelona where just awesome! What's there not to like about it? ^^

Yeah sure, the CL is a cash cow for the UEFA, and they are milking it. But where else can you see such great matches? And it's not only Bayern against Madrid or Barca, but for example Schalke against Galatasaray was great, too.

Just got back from Wembley where although my team lost It was a brilliant game and experience. I was also in Manchester for the one all draw with City and that too was another great day in the company of some amazing fans. I do agree though that the tournament should be for Champions only but it has brought some really exciting games this season for me especially the BVB v Malaga match. The only disappointing about the final was the amount of tickets that where giving to the corporate hospitality section. Keep football for real fans! :fan:

It is stale and ruining national leagues all over Europe, most leagues have now turned into 2 horse races, lots of them are now 1 horse races, this is all because of the money brought in by the Champions League.

The fact that the re-emergence of one of the traditional German powerhouses was a great story tells you how much of a joke it has become. Dortmund reaching the final (and Porto winning it a few years back) were made out like fairy stories, pre-CL you had all sorts of different teams from all sorts of different countries winning the European Cup etching their names into the minds of every kid in Europe. Do 10 years olds even know about Red Star Belgrade, Hamburg and Steaua Bucharest these days? You could be forgiven for assuming the only clubs who have ever been any good are the top 4 in England, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

Piece of totally useless information tho' it has the outside possibility of coming up in some obscure pub quiz.

Hibs played in the first European Cup. They weren't the current league champions but were invited to take part. That in itself is well enough known. What's almost certainly unique is the fact that in the first round 2nd leg, against Rott Weiss Essen, they played a guy, Willie Adams, who played his one and only senior club match that night.

Willie was the stand in goalie that evening for Tommy Younger the Scottish internationalist, who was excused travel from Germany where he was doing his national service. Hibs held a healthy 4-0 nil lead from the away game hence why they took the risk of fielding an absolute rookie in goal. They drew 1-1.

Another bit of useless info, albeit more relevant to this forum, was in the next round Hibs, due to weather conditions, played their away tie against Djurgaardens of Sweden at Firhill.

It will never change from the current format where 2-4 place in some leagues get in no bother, but I'd like to see something approaching a middle ground. Clubs from smaller countries have to go through two or three qualifying rounds despite winning their leagues, whilst second and third in the English league qualify automatically. I'd place anyone who qualifies as an also ran (from England, Spain, Germany, Italy, etc) in these qualifiers. The big teams would still almost all qualify but it opens up more spaces and more opportunities for the occasional upset.

• Like 1

It is stale and ruining national leagues all over Europe, most leagues have now turned into 2 horse races, lots of them are now 1 horse races, this is all because of the money brought in by the Champions League.

The fact that the re-emergence of one of the traditional German powerhouses was a great story tells you how much of a joke it has become. Dortmund reaching the final (and Porto winning it a few years back) were made out like fairy stories, pre-CL you had all sorts of different teams from all sorts of different countries winning the European Cup etching their names into the minds of every kid in Europe. Do 10 years olds even know about Red Star Belgrade, Hamburg and Steaua Bucharest these days? You could be forgiven for assuming the only clubs who have ever been any good are the top 4 in England, Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern Munich.

This but mega-wealthy PSG should be a force in years to come. It's also good to see Juventus and Napoli out-performing Milan's Old Firm. Inter have dived since Mourinho left. Fiorentina are near the top having recovered from their "Sevco" demotion.

It's also totally devalued the UEFA Cup, hence the failed rebranding to the Europa League. Talk of this now being scrapped completely with the Champions League being expanded yet again.

Winning the Europa League now is almost embarrassing to most clubs.

Piece of totally useless information tho' it has the outside possibility of coming up in some obscure pub quiz.

Hibs played in the first European Cup. They weren't the current league champions but were invited to take part. That in itself is well enough known. What's almost certainly unique is the fact that in the first round 2nd leg, against Rott Weiss Essen, they played a guy, Willie Adams, who played his one and only senior club match that night.

Willie was the stand in goalie that evening for Tommy Younger the Scottish internationalist, who was excused travel from Germany where he was doing his national service. Hibs held a healthy 4-0 nil lead from the away game hence why they took the risk of fielding an absolute rookie in goal. They drew 1-1.

Another bit of useless info, albeit more relevant to this forum, was in the next round Hibs, due to weather conditions, played their away tie against Djurgaardens of Sweden at Firhill.

I was at the Hibs v Djurgarden match at Firhill, but was always under the impression that it was played there because Djurgarden gave up their home advantage due either to winter weather conditions in Sweden or their lack of floodlights. Djurgarden, from Stockholm, means " Zoo Park" in English - it would have been an appropriate name for the ground of at least one club in Glasgow!

Let's hope it is not destined to be the first and last Euoropean Cup tie at Firhill _ w can only dream!