I Love This Team...

Veejag

Agree with all the above its been a total privilege to watch this team emerge and blossom. Hopefully, we'll see them gracing the Firhill turf for a couple of seasons before their inevitable departures. The great plus as opposed to the past is that we seem to have a half decent youth system and the fact that kids can see young players get a chance at Firhill, will do no harm to our chances of recruiting promising youngsters, especially if you look at our local opposition.

Its really frightening this sense of optimism, if the club does things right, I'm not for a minute saying we're gonna win 10 league titles in a row/. However, we could re-establish ourselves as a top flight club, after thirty odd years of decline and dissapontment.

Dont agree that we are on a path of youth development as the current 1st team are recruits from discarded programmes not products of our own system. Do have hope that this encourages the U20's etc to try and break into the team however time will tell if our youth programme can develop talent in the same way as Hamilton and Livingstone have done in recent years. Regardless of where they came from we are enjoying the journey and long may it continue as I for one am sick of the humiliating poor performances at Airdrie or Firhill against Albion Rovers et al.

From what I've been reading (this includes comments from guys who've been to see the young teams) we are on the right track. You are right of course in that the great young players we have at the moment were let go from other clubs - though Bannigan I believe came to us when he was 16 so a good deal of his development is down to us.

However I think we are on the right track, though it will take probably 2, 3, maybe even 4 years before players that we have developed from a really young age come through. The only thing that will stop that happening is if we get someone in charge of the club who decides to cut back our youth policy but I don't see that happening.

It's the obvious way for the future and it's a disgrace we didn't have something similar in place years ago - I seem to remember we seem to start and then stop or cut back on it down through the years.