Wedding Speech

Lambies Lost Doo

I'm missing the Aberdeen Home game as I am getting married. Gutted. But putting on a brave face and trying to right my speech which is quite difficult. I would find that I am generally a confident person. Not loud, the life and soul of the party but can mix well in company but this is making my crap it. Trying to get something down that has a small element of humour but also structured correctly and means weel so if any has any tips that I can rip off please pass them on. I've done the usual internet searches but none are filling me much confidence.

First of all remember that everyone is on your side.They will laugh at any joke as long as it's in good taste.Do not slag off your inlaws unless you know them really well and know they won't take offence.

No one expects you to deliver a masterpiece.Just say exactly how you feel about your wife to be and tell her you love her and your glad that she chose you.Remember it's HER day and one she will remember for the rest of her life.

Do and don'ts

Don't get drunk.I glass to wet your throat is enough

Don't mumble.Speak clearly and don't rush

Have a glass of water hand or some mouth gel to stop your lips sticking to your teeth.That happened to me and I stood there with a rictus grin.People thought I had died standing up

Write out your speech on cards ,clearly numbered showing the sequence and used coloured marker to indicate pauses.The cards also give your hands something to do.

Rehearse,rehearse then rehearse again.The cards should just be prompts because you want to look at your audience as much as possible,and look all round the room not just a fixed point.

I made my speech 47 years ago and have no idea what I said.The day went in a blur and I was so nervous.I wish I had enjoyed it more.You make sure you enjoy the day.

Best of luck and let us know how the day went

I'm missing the Aberdeen Home game as I am getting married. Gutted. But putting on a brave face and trying to right my speech which is quite difficult. I would find that I am generally a confident person. Not loud, the life and soul of the party but can mix well in company but this is making my crap it. Trying to get something down that has a small element of humour but also structured correctly and means weel so if any has any tips that I can rip off please pass them on. I've done the usual internet searches but none are filling me much confidence.

You're a Thistle supporter you should be used to arse clenching and releasing moments.

To show everybody that your new wife has chosen a man with his finger on the pulse of modernity, forget remembering your speech, or using cards. Give them a full-blown Powerpoint presentation, starting with the Introduction (how you met, where), Methods (how you got off with her, when, all the relevant details), Results (the wedding! Is she pregnant yet?), and Discussion (Could this be the biggest mistake of your life, what will happen next?) You can also add Acknowledgements (who it was that got you into this in the first place; your parents, her parents) etc. Then accept questions from floor! Enjoy!

Thank the bridesmaids, include something about looking forward to welcoming the in-laws officially into your family, say something about how welcome they have made you feel as part of their family. Make a couple of wee jokes about being daunted first time meeting her dad, boring your mates with wedding details, etc.

The pressure isn't on you to deliver a good speach, its on the best man, the grooms one doesn't need to be long at all.

And remember that everyone there is on your side, worst case scenario you get a few polite laughs.

Thank the bridesmaids, include something about looking forward to welcoming the in-laws officially into your family, say something about how welcome they have made you feel as part of their family. Make a couple of wee jokes about being daunted first time meeting her dad, boring your mates with wedding details, etc.

The pressure isn't on you to deliver a good speach, its on the best man, the grooms one doesn't need to be long at all.

And remember that everyone there is on your side, worst case scenario you get a few polite laughs.

Ah nuts :frantic:

As has been said, you're playing to an audience that is on your side. For my brothers wedding, I wrote my best man speech the night before as my brother was writing his. Everyone thought our speeches were great, at least that's what they told us anyway.

Your job is to thank everyone and tell a soppy story about how much you love your wife.

One word of caution, make sure the best man remembers the rings, I imagine that would cause quite a panic if he forgot them...

Have you perhaps started the marriage off on a bad footing? Was it your idea to get married on a Saturday or have you been compromised already? Next it'll be I'm missing such and such a game as the wife's in labour . . before you know it the only time you will see Thistle is on Sportscene and we all know how bad that is. Dear oh Dear oh Dear.

Got my best mans speech coming up in 6 weeks...actually getting quite nervous even though i know 90% of the people going...My plan is the same as my own speech at my wedding..a good few voddies beforehand and blunder my way through it..so long as you get a couple of laughs..yer laughing :D

A pal of mine, many years ago, came out with this during his best man's speech at our mate's wedding:

". . . and Julie asked me the other week, 'is Eddie really a good footballer like everybody makes out?' . . . 'Aye, he is, why do you ask?' . . . 'Well it's just that he always dribbles before he shoots!'. . ."

Well, the look on the faces of the posh in-laws!

It seems like I was changing my wedding speech for months on end before eventually rewriting the whole speech at 2am the night before the wedding in a haze of Jack Daniel's and too little coke with my brother in law and a dodgy printer running very low on black ink causing it to print off in red. Best speech I ever done.