Stewards Re Disabled

les

I will get that e mail sent. Just getting my thoughts together , want to make sure I say what I want and not rant . Also having a really bad flare up atm and writing it is just stressing me out. But I will something has got to be done . Who know it might be someone more vunrable next time :(

In addition to les's appaling experience. I have also learned that a group of disabled Aberdeen supporters were admitted along with their P.A.'s to the old enclosure then not allowed any food or drink i.e. stewards refused to allow any of their carers to go to the North Stand for anything at least initially. I do believe common sense and ordinary decency prevailed in the end. FFS, just what's going on at Firhill? It appears to me that the stewards act entirely on their own cognisance and appear to have no direction or supervision from the club. In my view this would have absolutely no impact viz. Thistle's responsibility under Equality legislation. If the club allow situations like these to develop, it will only be a matter of time before it finds itself in court or an appellant tribunal, with all the negative publicity not to mention financial implications that will involve, On a totally different subject apologies to anyone who tried to PM me, I just noticed today that I must have inadvertantly switched my PM off before I went to Ireland last week, its back on now.

Edited by stillresigned

Would it be possible for someone who is aware of not just Les's experience but other occurrences like this (like the Aberdeen fans mentioned above) to compile a list of these and then maybe several folk on here could email the club about this? I certainly would if I had all the facts to hand.

As sr says this could end up giving our club a very bad name.

• Members

We've already had problems with the Stewards that look after the kids section and now problems with Stewards that look after the areas where the disabled folk are. The Club need to insist that these areas are looked after by dedicated Stewards sympathetic to the needs of these sections of the support. How difficult is it? The guy in that area at the moment needs to be moved away as far as possible and if he's making fans question whether they should return or not, he shouldn't even be in the ground. We're effectively paying this guy to drive folk away.

Potty Trained has indicated that One Thistle and Ian Maxwell have been made aware of the specific complaints from Les. Imo these are serious complaints and potentially damaging. I've no reason whatsoever to believe that they won't be dealt with this weekend. Still sad that guys like One Thistle who are charged with improving matchday experience have to be involved with matters of damage limitation. Anyway I've every faith this will be dealt with by the people who care.

However on the wider issue of poor stewarding I can only imagine the blame lies almost entirely with Sporting Solutions. I feel it would be extremely unlikely if a company that provide such disgraceful catering would pride themselves in another arm of their "services". In other words tho' the individual stewards are undoubtedly in the wrong the buck stops with SS.

I'm talking about a company that despite a most damning survey exposing serious catering deficiencies stuck up their stall prices by over 17.5%. A company that couldn't provide even limited catering last Monday night for a crowd I estimate well in excess of 200. Not anticipating such a turnout would be excusable if naive had it not been for the more than ample number of stewards in attendance.

I suggest Sporting Solutions no longer give a damn about quality service if indeed they ever did. They're clearly just going thru the motions hopefully as they're coming to the end of their contract and know they're out the door. Of course that's the optimist in me. The other side of the coin is they've got us tied up for years, will take the money and carry out the absolute minimum of good service and continue sticking two fingers up to their customers.

As Uber says this lot are not fit for purpose.

It's helpful to use all the possible avenues to put pressure on, and dealing with disabled people is something that can and should be put right. I have mailed the Jags Trust asking for it to raise the matter at board level, and I hope that other readers of this thread will do the same. It's clear that Ian Maxwell's efforts are not yielding a response; so the matter has to be taken up a level. The Trust is a major shareholder, and may be in a position even to raise the matter at the AGM.

It's helpful to use all the possible avenues to put pressure on, and dealing with disabled people is something that can and should be put right. I have mailed the Jags Trust asking for it to raise the matter at board level, and I hope that other readers of this thread will do the same. It's clear that Ian Maxwell's efforts are not yielding a response; so the matter has to be taken up a level. The Trust is a major shareholder, and may be in a position even to raise the matter at the AGM.

Hi Fearchar,

just got your email and have responded.

If anyone else has any (reasonable) points that they'd like to raise please do email me directly on davymains69 (at) gmail.com - I can't always respond straight away when I'm at work, but I will acknowledge receipt (so you know it's been received) as soon as I can and respond when I get 5

• Members

Les, I'd have thought the JHS would have been easier and offered a better view in any case. Isn't the designated disabled area ground level at the North Stand or in the Main Stand enclosure? Come in at ground level in the JHS and take a seat at the same level with no danger of being hit with the ball? Wouldn't that be a better solution all round?

Hi will jag. In response to jh stand. Iv a number of issues. First I was struggling up the hill and missing many games. Also once I'm in iv got to struggle down the very steep stairs in there The north stand has many advantages I get dropped off right out side the gate and only have to get up about five or six stairs , in not sitting up the back or with the main body of support. No one seems to be bothered apart from these stewards. This arrangement works great for me it's the hassle iv get doing it.

Yes I was offered that. But i still need to grt diwn stairs and its often very crowded in the foyer , my condition if i fall could be fatal im afraid and in my opinion sitting where i do is by far the best and safest option fir me also I'm not always the one driving and quite offted get dropped off by a third party so gate at north stand is perfect This was an arrangement Ian and I agreed on. And it's fantastic suits my needs perfectly. The boys are nearly 15 they sit well behaved we sit away from the main body of fans. My problem is the steward who queries my nearly every game . He queries my right to be there he questions my disability ! I love this arrangement it makes things do much easier for me and my family. It's just a pity this steward spoils it. Il state again Ian maxwell had been brilliant its the stewards who seem to think they run the club

Well I'm sorry will jag. I know what is easier for my condition. Jh stand I'd need to go up early to get parking space also I'd need to find these seats your talking about as my reserved seats are four seats in ! Also the crush in the foyer is a danger for my confition At the end of the day I sit with my family in the designated disabled section which I have permission to do ! What really is the problem? As my post indicates iv no problem with the club or Ian I'm very grateful how helpful and accommodating they have been. This is an issue about stewards thinking they run the club . And me having to explain my self to stewards!

The arrangement works perfectly for me from a physical point if view. I have very little walking , there are no crush points and the north stand empties very quick. All the other disabled fans are there and feel if an emergency occurred iv more chance getting out of the north stand along with other disabled fans . The club and Ian maxwell agree I can sit there they have listened to my points and been very understanding. Why should I cause my self physical and mental strain going to the jh stand because a steward has took offence and an obvious dislike to me . I won't be going this Saturday and I am giving serious thought to my future as a season ticket holder because of a steward ! Who seems to take great pleasure in making my match day experience as stressfull as possible. They even tell me to come through then start the debating again with my boys stuck out side with away supporters that's just not right . If you feel it's ok for a steward to do this and fir me to move stands at my physical cost and safety then i really dont know ehat to make of that . What next ? how will you feel when this individual moves on to someone more vunrable or your self ? remember these are the same lot of stewards who refused disabled aberdeen fans or there carers through to purchase refreshments . What else are they to get away with? Is there really anyone here who has sn objection to a Disabled fan Being able to sit with their family in the disabled section ? remember the boys are 14 and 15 not wee toddlers running around they and are More mature than most boys their age due to the extra resposibilities they have having a disabled parent Sorry if I sound exasperated but really I am.

"at the end of the day I sit with my family in the designated disabled section"

Iv explained my reasons for going up a few rows. If you look how the stairs go I'm going up about five steps not climbing to the top .

Other option is to go sit with away fans hanging over you. Would you like that? Think about the hearts game I could have been in major trouble then . at the end of the day this s the easiest safest option and I'm entitled to go in to the north stand only difference is I'm requesting my family get to sit with me as they act as my helpers / carers. And just for the sheer pleasure of sitting watching the team we all love together. Is that so wrong?

If the "designated disabled section" is almost the most suitable area for folk to use then the club should be looking at making that as comfortable and safe as possible. If that means erecting some kind of screen to protect vulnerable fans from wayward balls, providing suitable seating for carers to sit beside their family members, allow access to catering facilities or ensure safe and speedy egress from the stadium in an emergency then any short comings should be addressed.

All stewards should be employed to assist fans, not to make their visit to Firhill as controlled and oppressive as possible. Maybe they need to be told that they are customer service assistants NOT riot police! :eyebrow:

• Like 2

I really have got to say I'm grateful and have no problem with the club. I'm more than happy with the arrangement. Previously I was missing a lot of games due to the physical strain getting to the jh stand also if it was going to be a busy game I just can't risk the crush in the foyer . So getting permission to sit in the north stand has been a godsend I hardly miss a game now. It's the stewards who think they are above the club / law and its them that need to be sorted out . I also try get up a row or two just for a slightly better view , in fact every week when the drugs start wearing off and iv to get back down im struggling I say to dan why did I do this . you may as well be sitting in outer space sitting in the front row the view you get lol. End of the day we all love this club I'm only asking for a little understanding and support getting to sit down and watch my team with my family The stewards seen to make it a personal matter. Iv sent an e mail late last night as I needed to collect my thoughts before sending still ended up a rant tbh lol

Don't get me wrong Les. I have my sympathies with you. However, if it's causing so much distress to you and no doubt upsetting your 3 kids, I'd be looking for an alternative.

Or alternatively the steward should get punted immediately and all other stewards told exactly what they need to do not just for him and his kids but for every paying customer at Firhill.

• Like 6

Or alternatively the steward should get punted immediately and all other stewards told exactly what they need to do not just for him and his kids but for every paying customer at Firhill.

Have to admit in any other line of work gross misconduct would be properly dealt with and treated seriously. With reports (formal or informal) and appropriate action. Stewards get away without repercussions so do what they want.

In addition to having a dedicated area for the disabled, surely its not asking or expecting too much for all syewards to be able to execise some common sense and decency.. I have to be honest and say that I've never experienced any problems with stewarding personally, quite the reverse actually. Nonetheless les's experiences have been horrendous and should be unacceptable in this day and age. Hopefully, the club will act ASAP to ensurethat this and similar incidents are never repeated and that the stewards are told in no uncertain terms that they are not allowed to break the law!