Bannigan Back In Under 21 Squad

CCjag

While I'm usually delighted and surprised in equal measures when a Jags' player breaks through the glass ceiling to achieve International recognition, this is bizarre!

The Stuart Bannigan of last season has not been seen for some time and Monday night was just the latest in a series of lack-lustre (to be generous) displays which should really see him spending some time out of the Thistle side until he regains form.

Instead, he's been recalled to the Scotland squad.

I hope he gets a game and I hope he turns it on in the Dark Blue, but even more, I hope he brings that form back to Thistle PDQ!

Ok I'm going to play positive here and say - hoping his dip in form was due to the humping the u21's got against England and his omission from the next squad only cemented that. His inclusion in this squad will give him such a boost that it will bring him back with renewed enthusiasm to show what he can do for us.

Hey, it's nearly Friday.

While there might be case for first time selecting an in form goalie or a striker who's on top of his game you normally expect an international side to vary little from one squad to another. It's no secret the most successful countries have been those who try to get a "club feel" with their squads. Chopping and changing players based on their most recent form is usually avoided. It no doubt took Bannigan a series of good performances to be considered in the first place so it stands to reason he's not going to get overlooked on the basis of a few games in the last few weeks.

While Stuart might not be on top of his game at the moment it doesn't mean that he'll give a worse performance playing with familiar faces than some other young midfielder who's perhaps playing better football just now but unfamiliar with the rest of the national squad. Biggest failing in Scottish teams of the past was too many top players all playing their own game and not as a team.

I believe attacking midfield is not his best position, and it's getting to him. He's better in defensive midfield or left back. I'm a massive fan of SB but he's taking much of the pace out of our attacks by turning back and playing the simple pass instead of driving forward. He's playing an attacking role, he needs to occassionally gamble on beating a player or getting an early ball into the box. He could do with a spell on the bench, and we need Lawless back into the attacking fold if we're going to carry a greater goal threat. But congratulations for getting in the Scotland squad, with whom he'll be playing a defensive midfield role!

Edited by simoncordiner

As an aside, although still related to international football, I see Jay Rodriguez has been called up to the England squad. Ian McCall was trying to get Rodriguez to Firhill while Coyle was the Burnley manager and was very close to doing so - he had spent time on loan at Stirling Albion the previous season. Obviously it never came to fruition but I can't imagine there's many ex-Binos players who have gone onto play for England.

I believe attacking midfield is not his best position, and it's getting to him. He's better in defensive midfield or left back. I'm a massive fan of SB but he's taking much of the pace out of our attacks by turning back and playing the simple pass instead of driving forward. He's playing an attacking role, he needs to occassionally gamble on beating a player or getting an early ball into the box. He could do with a spell on the bench, and we need Lawless back into the attacking fold if we're going to carry a greater goal threat. But congratulations for getting in the Scotland squad, with whom he'll be playing a defensive midfield role!

That was certainly noticeable on Monday night. I'm one of his biggest fans, but would consider that a rest on Saturday and a clearer idea of what his current role entails might do him (and us) some good.

I'd question whether Stuart would be better at left back simply because he's not tackling the way he did last season. That apart I kinda go along with above.

I'm wondering if the "keep the ball above all" ethos has not been taken just too far in attack areas So important to not lose the ball in two thirds of the pitch as we've found to our cost on occasions (eg Fraser v Hearts, Welsh v Celtic) but further up the park, deadballs apart, it's not so costly. Higginbotham mentioned something about being tolerated giving the ball away probably mirroring Erskine last season.

Perhaps Bannigan is being extra cautious playing with mindset of a defensive midfielder when he's in effect in an attacking position. I'm in no way advocating changing our passing game just questioning whether we could be a bit more direct closer to goal. Overpassing in the final third is natural given our style of play so it may be difficult to remedy.But our best chance of success this season is still the same as last season and that's getting goals from midfielders.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett