Dundee United V Partick Thistle - Saturday 23 November 3Pm K.o.

jagfox

I'm not a ref but wondered why the penalty did not result in a red card? If it was deliberate hand ball blocking a direct shot heading towards goal is that not denying a clear goalscoring opportunity? A foul's a foul whether it's bringing someone down or putting your arm out and deflecting the ball.

I remember that their is or used to be a qualified ref on here a while back, I'd appreciate an outline of what would qualify as a red card for deliberate handball in the box. In this instance the defender was definitely the last (only) player between the shot and the keeper.

Cheers!

You have to remember this was Willie Collum. Just grateful we got a penalty. Forbes was possibly lucky not to be booked for ungentlemanly conduct by kicking the ball directly at their player's arm.

• Like 1

Apart from Gauld's virtuoso performance I was impressed with Ciftci's performance as the lone striker. He would come deep to get possession or head on to one of the forward going midfield attackers. Unlike Dools he rarely seemed isolated.

The three attacking midfielders need to support and get forward in support of Doolan more, as well as press the opposition high up the park. When we achieved this, it coincided with our best spell in the match. We had Dundee United rattled a bit in the first 15-20 minutes of the second half.

Also United's defensive and midfield line moved to a disciplined two banks of four in the first half giving our lads little joy, whereas we were all over the shop at times. Even in the first minute, when they scored we made life easy for Gauld and GMS by missing challenges and losing our shape, which meant we couldn't even trap their scorer offside.

A game that sadly produces more questions than answers. Apart from some great play from United I felt we contributed to our heavy loss.

Onwards and upwardz

Also United's defensive and midfield line moved to a disciplined two banks of four in the first half giving our lads little joy, whereas we were all over the shop at times.

This if the first thing Archie needs to sort out.The full backs need to defend at the back and not go careering about for 90 minutes. The central defenders are all over the place just now but they are constantly being pulled out of position by having to come out wide to cover the full backs.IMO we need to become a more counter attacking team rather than throwing both full backs constantly up the pitch.

• Like 1

This if the first thing Archie needs to sort out.The full backs need to defend at the back and not go careering about for 90 minutes. The central defenders are all over the place just now but they are constantly being pulled out of position by having to come out wide to cover the full backs.IMO we need to become a more counter attacking team rather than throwing both full backs constantly up the pitch.

Last season when Archie took over there was a marked difference with the fullback play especially away from home. Instead of the more gung ho approach under McNamara you could often see both SOD & ATS check their runs. This coincided with our away form improving beyond all measure.

When we did send a fullback forward a central midfielder would cover at the back (tho' not him, Rowson style). I don't think that works nearly so easily in this division where most teams carry a threat both wide and thru the middle and can counter so much faster and effectively.

Above post makes a lot of sense. Slightly ironic that we're getting caught out playing the McNamara game rather than the Archie game of last season Probably the answer lies somewhere between restraining the fullbacks and having a defensive midfielder sitting in a bit more. Tho' clearly not in Osbourne's class the latter's the one thing Paton used to do well.

Probably the answer lies somewhere between restraining the fullbacks and having a defensive midfielder sitting in a bit more. Tho' clearly not in Osbourne's class the latter's the one thing Paton used to do well.

Very good point. IMO Paton's main contribution to our success last season was his willingness to provide cover for our wing-backs and SOD in particular. Also, as I've argued elsewhere, at this level we simply will not get away with both wing-backs careering forward at the same time.