Dundee United V Partick Thistle - Saturday 23 November 3Pm K.o.

jagfox

Oh well, we've had plenty of time to get over the bloody nose dished out by the Buddies, time to look forward to this match I suppose.

Fraser and O'Donnell out, at least it seems Jordan MacMillan is fit and raring for a return to first-team action.

Dundee United are on a hot streak of form and McNamara appears to have them playing some good stuff. They are very strong from middle to front with some good players such as Goodwillie spending time on the bench.

At the back may be their weakest area, so how can we get a positive result? I guess we have to take the game to them and press them hard all over the pitch.

Will Elliott maybe get a role in front of MacMillan to keep Robertson pinned back and help out defensively as required. I guess the alternative is to play Higgy or Lawless in a traditional right winger role with Christie on the left?

If Welsh isn't started I guess we will go with Bannigan and Osbourne in the middle with Craigen closely supporting Doolan.

At the back I hope we see Aero and Conrad re-united, with Taylor-Sinclair and McMillan in the full-back positions.

Fox between the sticks so I would go

Fox

MacMillan Muirhead Balatoni Taylor-Sinclair

Osbourne Bannigan

Craigen

Elliott Doolan Higginbotham

Edited by jagfox

I have no idea how this wiil go. I agree we need to take the game to them when the oppor-chancity arrives as well as keeping possession in effective areas of the pitch.

An improvement attacking and defending set-pieces would also go a fair way to securing a positive result for the Jags.

#stillbelieving :P

go 4-1-4-1

fox

mcmillan

muirhead

balatoni

sincy

bannigan

o'donnell

welsh/craigen

ozzy

higgy

doolan.

double up down both wings as GMS and Robertson will be a threat. I still can't see anything other than a heavy defeat right enough, another 4 or 5 job I fear.

O'Donnell is banned. But like you I fear a tanking here! United apparently are scintillating where Thistle are just MEH!

This is the team that played so well in the first game of the season.

Scott Fox

Stephen O'Donnell

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair

Aaron Muirhead

Conrad Balatoni

Sean Welsh

Gary Fraser (Ross Forbes 84 mins)

Stuart Bannigan

James Craigen (Christie Elliott 64 mins)

Steven Lawless

Kris Doolan (John Baird 72 mins)

....so O'Donnell is suspended. Lawless a bit off form, Fraser suspended. Below is my choice. 4-2-3-1. McMillan replaces SOD. Straight swap. 2 players sitting in front of the defence. Osbourne as he's a tank and Forbes to keep the ball moving either to wings or through the opposition. Craigen and Lawless on the wings. Higgy supporting Doolan more.

Scott Fox

Jordan McMillan

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair

Aaron Muirhead

Conrad Balatoni

Isaac Osbourne

Ross Forbes

James Craigen

Kallum Higginbottom

Steven Lawless

Kris Doolan

Nothing drastic required in respect of personnel and tactical changes, in my opinion. What we do need, though, is a reinforcement of belief in our own ability and a commitment to concentrate harder for the entire 90 minutes, and not just for chunks of it.

Eroding self-belief is highly damaging and can itself be the cause of defeat. We need to forget our recent mini-slump and remind ourselves that our 13 points (which should be closer to 18) weren't won in a raffle: they were the product of solid, quality football and our commitment to playing the game the way it is meant to be played.

Despite recent frustrations, we DO have the capability to go to places like the snake pit that is Tannadice and come away with points. McNamara won't be allowing his team to treat us lightly and that's because he understands that we have the weaponry to do the business on any given day; we just need to have that same belief in our own quality. If we go into this important fixture 'knowing' we're beat, it'll simply become a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Come on Thistle.

• Like 1

I choke saying this but MacNamara is doing what he did with us and putting together a tidy wee team . Hope the Utd fans enjoy before he slithers off to Porkheid

I fear you are right. I think he knows what he's doing.

But no fear from the Jags and we've got a good chance against anyone.

I have a feeling we are gonna nick this one, 0-1, 1-2 but only if we have Muirhead back in and McMillan starting ( which seems likely) . I'd likje to see Forbes on from the start as he and Higgy could go at their defence, Ozzy and Banzo to sit behind them and mop up. Baird to make an appearance 2nd half to score the winner! We CAN do it if we believe, too much negativity at the moment but I really feel we play the right way and with a little more experience and a decent Ref (at least 3 stonewall penalties we've missed out on as far as I've seen) we'll come good and bloody some noses.Actually who is the ref for Saturday?

• Like 1

Referees announced on Tuesdays at 1.

JMc is a potentially excellent manager. If he was only half decent then there wouldn't be nearly the same vitriol spouted towards him.

I do believe that he wouldn't have won us the league last year, given the horrendous away record, but he did a great job in establishing some superb young players in an attractive set up.

He's landed on his feet at Tannadice with all the exceptional young talent he has at his disposal. At least 4 future Scotland internationalists on their books.

He'll get the best out of them, whether we like it or not.

He's still a rat though.

MacNamara knows us inside out.If we go up there and play in the same style and formation as usual we'll get pumped.This is a test for Arch and Shaggy to come up with somthing different for this game.

I hope one thing is that we dont do is to have our two full backs charging gung ho up both flanks at the same time .That's been costing us .For this game the first priority of the full backs should be to stop the crosses coming in.