Archie Starts For U20's

Andynptfc

For a guy who comes across as level headed and quite calm (although has that don't mess scary way) I'm surprised at the "foul and abusive" language but also can't help smirking about it. I must be immature.

Was at the game last night and didn't see any flying elbows or the like so assume it was verbals. Definitely an off the ball incident.

It was a bit amusing to see a guy in his late 30s ordered off in an U20s match but it has a downside. Archie probably was only filling in for the suspended Keenan but even when he returns we're short of cover at the back. Keenan is a full back as it is and with Lindsay and Brownlie out on loan the U20s require someone from the 1st team squad to play centreback. With Muirhead out injured we're a bit short of centre backs. Gabriel went down with a knock late on last night but was I'm sure OK. While it's useful to be able to give the likes of Gabby a run out there's always the risk of him picking up an injury, which would leave the 1st team short of cover.

Every setback offers an opportunity. This won't happen, but it would solve a few problems at one stroke.

Doolan should be asked to fill in at centre back for the U20s. He can be told he's bringing his maturity, commitment and willingness to learn new skills as an example to younger players, which would all be true. At the same time, he'd be viewing the game from a different position, developing his existing skills at reading a game. By the time he's battering down Archie's door to be let back into the first team (3 weeks at the most, I'd say), he'd be willing to take any position in the first team, and then could be slotted in perfectly, with his newly-acquired defensive outlook, as an attacking midfielder. Last season he created opportunities for others to score, as well as scoring himself. In that position, his football brain would be as useful as his scoring ability, and would give him a place in the first team every week as the creative focus in midfield, instead of as the second-string striker coming off the bench every week.

As I say, it won't happen: instead, I imagine that Doolan will soon be looking for a move somewhere where he'll get a place as a first-choice striker. Sadly, Scottish football doesn't really nurture the kind of player that offers something between his ears as well as at his feet. :thumbdown:

Every setback offers an opportunity. This won't happen, but it would solve a few problems at one stroke. Doolan should be asked to fill in at centre back for the U20s. He can be told he's bringing his maturity, commitment and willingness to learn new skills as an example to younger players, which would all be true. At the same time, he'd be viewing the game from a different position, developing his existing skills at reading a game. By the time he's battering down Archie's door to be let back into the first team (3 weeks at the most, I'd say), he'd be willing to take any position in the first team, and then could be slotted in perfectly, with his newly-acquired defensive outlook, as an attacking midfielder. Last season he created opportunities for others to score, as well as scoring himself. In that position, his football brain would be as useful as his scoring ability, and would give him a place in the first team every week as the creative focus in midfield, instead of as the second-string striker coming off the bench every week. As I say, it won't happen: instead, I imagine that Doolan will soon be looking for a move somewhere where he'll get a place as a first-choice striker. Sadly, Scottish football doesn't really nurture the kind of player that offers something between his ears as well as at his feet. :thumbdown:

I want what you're on.

For a guy who comes across as level headed and quite calm (although has that don't mess scary way) I'm surprised at the "foul and abusive" language but also can't help smirking about it. I must be immature.

But once you cross that white line everything changes.

Maybe the ref had to send him off because he was swearing in front of all the weans on the pitch or maybe he just wanted to make a name for himself. :rolleyes: