Kallum Higginbotham

Jagsman

As previous posters have said, there has been a discernble change in Higgies performance since the turn of the year. Where previously everything he did was to benefit Kallum Higginbotham, since then he has been an increasingly team focused player. Of course, one wouldn't expect the finished product in a month or two, but if he combines this newly found team ethic with his undounted ability I have no doubt that he'll prove a huge success....

...As for Higgy he is the type of player who we all like to watch in that he is direct and goes at the defender. He will be greedy at times and frustarting at times but this type of player all are but when he is full of confidence and his game is working he will cause any defence problems In the run in it will be crucial to try and keep him in this sort of.form. His finish on Saturday was class.

He seems to have stopped his habit from earlier in the season of taking speculative shots from very far out, in favour of taking the ball closer to goal - and it's yielding results. :)

Edited by Fearchar

He seems to have stopped his habit from earlier in the season of taking speculative shots from very far out, in favour of taking the ball closer to goal - and it's yielding results. :)

At the kids Christmas party my seven year old son went up to Higgy (unprompted) and said "Why do you keep shooting from so far out? You would have a better chance if you took the ball closer to the goal first."

Higgy replied that sometimes it was difficult to get closer to the goal but he would definitely try harder. He did promise my son a goal the next weekend at Kilmarnock, which never happened, but he has done plenty since to make up for it..

And very, very much up there with McQuade, Bone, Coulston & Lawrie, in my wee opinion.

Not IMHO. Our 1971 League Cup winners hammered a Celtic side that were in the top four in Europe. Later that season, Celtic lost to Inter Milan in the semi-finals of the European Cup.

Celtic had lost 3-1 on aggregate to the mighty Ajax (but beat them 1-0 at Parkhead) in the quarter finals in March 1971. They lost to 2-1 (after ET) to Feyenoord in the 1970 final.

Our legends' 1971 triumph was equivalent of Espanyol thumping Barcelona.

• Like 1

Not IMHO. Our 1971 League Cup winners hammered a Celtic side that were in the top four in Europe. Later that season, Celtic lost to Inter Milan in the semi-finals of the European Cup.

Celtic had lost 3-1 on aggregate to the mighty Ajax (but beat them 1-0 at Parkhead) in the quarter finals in March 1971. They lost to 2-1 (after ET) to Feyenoord in the 1970 final.

Our legends' 1971 triumph was equivalent of Espanyol thumping Barcelona.

Wasn't it AC Milan they lost to in '72? I know they beat Inter in the '67 final.

Wasn't it AC Milan they lost to in '72? I know they beat Inter in the '67 final.

No. Celtic lost to Internazionale on penalties. I remember Dixie Deans blasting the first pen high over the bar. Ajax beat Inter 2-0 in the final to retain the trophy.

The game Dixie Deans blasted the ball over the bar was against Athletico Madrid. Jimmy Johnstone got kicked off the park and Athletico had either 2 or 3 players sent off. Both legs finished 0-0 IIRC.

Absolutely certain it was Inter. I remember him blasting it over. The Atletico Madrid game ended up 0-0 at Parkhead and Atletico won the second leg 2-0.

The game Dixie Deans blasted the ball over the bar was against Athletico Madrid. Jimmy Johnstone got kicked off the park and Athletico had either 2 or 3 players sent off. Both legs finished 0-0 IIRC.

Total nonsense! Here's a Scotsman article on it and here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjhrLqndD1U

Edited by kni
  • Like 1

Celtic European record before, during & after our League Cup win against them, for anyone interested:

1969-70 Lost final against Feyenoord after beating Leeds in semis.

1970-71 Lose to Ajax in the Q-F 3-1 on aggregate.

1971-72 Lose to Inter on penalties in the semis after two goalless matches. Murdoch,McCluskey, Johnstone and Craig score.

Deans penalty is over.

1972-73 Lose to Ujpest Dozsa in the second round. 2-1 in Glasgow, 0-3 in Hungary.

Thistle also lose to Hungarian opposition, Honved Budapest, in the UEFA Cup.

1973-74 Lose to At.Madrid in the infamous semifinals, goalless in Glasgow, 2-0 to Atletico in Madrid.

Higgy would be fuming if he saw this thread.