No Effort = No Wages

LambieIsGod

That was without doubt the most gutless performance I have seen from a Thistle team in a long time and easily the most embarrassing display all season. The gulf in hunger between the two teams was so obvious, but yet totally inexcusable given that we were playing at home and didn't play midweek like Hearts did.

I am not normally a big critic of our players and I always back them up when they make mistakes because we all do. Anyone that has played football at any level knows that you can have a bad day at the office for no apparent reason and there is nothing you can do about it. I understand that and will never overly criticise our players for trying someone that doesn't come off or making a poor pass among many good ones. But today's performance lacked one thing that should always be on display regarding of how the team is performing. Guts. It looked the players couldn't give a damn today and that is simply not good enough.

I have been to every home game this season and many away games and I will return again to the next game because I love Thistle and will support them through thick and thin. I don't mind losing a game of football (We wouldn't be Thistle fans if we had an issue with that) and if we end up relegated, I'll accept it and move on. But you at least have to try FFS. I don't want Archie sacked, I don't want players dropped and I don't want to change the way we play the game. But what I DO want is for every Thistle player who took part in that non event today, to surrender their wages this week and donate them to a local charity. Not only would it be an excellent gesture and good publicity for the club but it might also act as a wake up call to some of these so called players of ours that today's lack of effort was simply not good enough. Not effort = no wages.

• Like 1

I said at half-time to a mate, ah well things can only get better, but how wrong I was. I will refrain from singling out anyone for special criticism, call it what you want but there was an attitude/effort/confidence problem evident in the team, and that's just not acceptable. This was a massive game and the players as well as crap substitutions (Bauben on yes, but for Higgs ffs!) blew it.

Players need to take a look at themselves after that and get a grip, we are in a dog fight, no more excuses, get the finger out and do the job your paid of. I got behind the team during the game but joined in the deserved boos with the rest of the fans at the end as that was utter mince.

Archie said in the papers this week that the players are playing for their wages cause if they go back down their contracts will be reduced (must be written into them to safeguard the club) He also said the players were on a half decent bonus to keep the club up, which makes today's performance even more baffling!

Archie said in the papers this week that the players are playing for their wages cause if they go back down their contracts will be reduced (must be written into them to safeguard the club) He also said the players were on a half decent bonus to keep the club up, which makes today's performance even more baffling!

Indeed it does Lindau. Defeat is acceptable and sometimes inevitable, but Thistle players should always show effort and today that was absent. There were some who were worse/lazier than others but the complacency and apathy just seemed to run right through the team today after 20 mins. It was like someone had put lead in their boots. I always return home from a game with my voice half gone because of the amount of cheering/singing and encouragement I give the team but today they didn't deserve the fans' vocal support. If they can't be bothered turning up, they shouldn't be taking a wage.

Indeed it does Lindau. Defeat is acceptable and sometimes inevitable, but Thistle players should always show effort and today that was absent. There were some who were worse/lazier than others but the complacency and apathy just seemed to run right through the team today after 20 mins. It was like someone had put lead in their boots. I always return home from a game with my voice half gone because of the amount of cheering/singing and encouragement I give the team but today they didn't deserve the fans' vocal support. If they can't be bothered turning up, they shouldn't be taking a wage.

Not making any excuses for that shambles today but I just wonder if there is a viral thing hanging about the club. Before the game in Perth it was stated that a few players were suffering from a sickness bug, especially Mair. Grasping at straws here but that display today had all the trademarks of illness in the camp. Lethargic, no energy or fire after 25 minutes, lack lustre. Bloody sure if I was promised a big bonus at my work, I would be busting a gut to make sure I got it! That display has left me bamboozled!

Edited by Lindau

I'm not sure I totally buy the lack of effort argument. I think pretty much all of Hearts chances ended in the net, and our didn't. Didn't really think there was all that much between the sides apart from that. We should have had them buried after twenty minutes so I don't think the players went out with any lack of motivation. If Paterson annoyed them by talking about getting better players then that wasn't apparent to begin with anyway.

The substitutions were odd, and I noticed Higganbotham looked very surprised to see his number flash up. Erskine didn't have one of his better games, but I'd have kept him on in the circumstances.

I'd still wager we'll survive. It's going to be squeaky bumtime though :huh:

Sadly, the reality of rent, mortgages, bills and food render your idea rather silly.

Away have a pint, or a lie down. You'll feel better.

Appreciate your attempt to reduce the impact of today's team 'performance' peagreenboy but as a supporter, I will not show the same apathy for my club as the players did today. I went to Perth last week and the effort was there, if not the performance, so I was prepared to take any result that came our way. Same as all the other games I have been to over the years. But today the lack of effort was shocking and disrespectful to the club and it's supporters. Such lack of desire is NEVER acceptable and the players need to take a long hard look at themselves. I'm making a wild assumption here, but I'm going to guess you weren't at the game today? Otherwise I suspect you would feel equally angered by the team. If you didn't make it to the game, you are a lucky man, cause I wish I hadn't. The players will have disposable income and I don't think for a minute that losing a weeks income will render them penniless. It would show that they care about the club and it's supporters, some of whom have to save and budget to attend Thistle games.

As someone said, the players will be on a win bonus (only 6 wins this season) & probably a bonus for staying up. If money is the motivation for performance (it usually is for players) there's plenty incentive there you have to say. For me it was the worst performance of the season, we've lost matches & drawn games this season when we've played well/ok. Hopefully today was a one-off, we can't afford for it to happen again.

As someone said, the players will be on a win bonus (only 6 wins this season) & probably a bonus for staying up. If money is the motivation for performance (it usually is for players) there's plenty incentive there you have to say. For me it was the worst performance of the season, we've lost matches & drawn games this season when we've played well/ok. Hopefully today was a one-off, we can't afford for it to happen again.

Archie said in midweek that the players are on a half decent bonus to keep us in the league. With that knowledge, that display today, defies logic

Not making any excuses for that shambles today but I just wonder if there is a viral thing hanging about the club. Before the game in Perth it was stated that a few players were suffering from a sickness bug, especially Mair. Grasping at straws here but that display today had all the trademarks of illness in the camp. Lethargic, no energy or fire after 25 minutes, lack lustre. Bloody sure if I was promised a big bonus at my work, I would be busting a gut to make sure I got it! That display has left me bamboozled!

Interesting point Lindau. I agree with you. It was like most of them were all feeling as weak as water. God help us if there is a bug about he place. Today's effortless display will can't be repeated.

That was a pathetic no-show from almost every outfield player today and a total insult to all the Jags fans who have shown tremendous support to the team and manager every single game this season. They stole money from us all today and should be ashamed of themselves.

Stole our money, get a grip, they are probably on peanuts and you want them to give up their wages, jeeez, let's stick them in the stocks and throw bricks at their heads too

Well, they sure played like monkeys rather than professional footballers today , so peanuts it is :)

Stole our money, get a grip, they are probably on peanuts and you want them to give up their wages, jeeez, let's stick them in the stocks and throw bricks at their heads too

Yes I like this "Stick them in stocks and throw bricks at them" idea

I left when the fourth hit the net. that is not something I do. Always hope for the big comeback(gretna).

Today it was obvious it was not going to happen.

now we are in the split and we are all toe to toe it will get interesting but another performance like today will see us in the play offs.

brings up a couple of questions. will loan players still be with us?

will the season ticket cover it?

Although I agree with the most of what was said about lack of effort I have to say that what struck me was that there were many players who either had a bad day or simply weren't allowed to play after about 25 30 mins when Hearts steadied themselves. I think our players maybe thought it was gonna be a stroll and by the time we kicked ourselves up the arse it was 2-1 and we couldn't stop the tide. Looked like the players were shell shocked. Like me.

Fair play to Hearts...there weren't may stray passes from them. And..they gave us no time on the ball....whereas we gave them space. We have to be quicker on to opposing players. I found that part the hardest to take today. I wonder what Moncur could bring and I dont get the Higgy for Bauben change. Ok Higgy wasnt on form today but I thought we should have persevered.

By the way....our defence gies me the heebees when cross balls come in.

• Like 1

The substitutions were odd, and I noticed Higganbotham looked very surprised to see his number flash up. Erskine didn't have one of his better games, but I'd have kept him on in the circumstances.

Higganbotham was awful today anyone that was surprised by his substitution could only be interested in what he may do rather than what he did. His pathetic dive before their second goal was good enough reason for his withdrawal.

Erskine was poor but so was the whole team we can blame Archie for the performance but not the subs as no one was good enough to say they deserved to stay on.

Higganbotham was awful today anyone that was surprised by his substitution could only be interested in what he may do rather than what he did. His pathetic dive before their second goal was good enough reason for his withdrawal.

Erskine was poor but so was the whole team we can blame Archie for the performance but not the subs as no one was good enough to say they deserved to stay on.

Fair enough I suppose.

My mum chose the winner of the National at 25-1. Guess who never got it together to put the money on.

Not a lucky day. Tomorrow may be better :music:

I'll own up. If in my working life I only ever received a wage for effort I don't think I'd have enough spare cash to go to Firhill. And I was certainly never one of life's slackers.

For much of the first half today I thought we were deliberately staying off them. Kinda worked as we picked up loads of second balls. But as the first half wore on that source dried up and from there on in it just went from poor to rank rotten. Can share everyone's annoyance with what happened today. I find it very strange that just a week ago we salvaged a point simply because of effort and self belief.

I'm not sure I totally buy the lack of effort argument. I think pretty much all of Hearts chances ended in the net, and our didn't. Didn't really think there was all that much between the sides apart from that. We should have had them buried after twenty minutes so I don't think the players went out with any lack of motivation. If Paterson annoyed them by talking about getting better players then that wasn't apparent to begin with anyway.

I'd still wager we'll survive. It's going to be squeaky bumtime though :huh:

Are you serious? Total arrogance from thistle after we scored cost us big time. Higgy might have been surprised to see his number up but It was his 2 on 1 chance In the second half that summed him up, greedy git, total glory hunter and I assume that's why the fans of his former clubs hate him. Talented but a one man show. Doolan should have been off before erskine, did he even touch the ball second half??

No fight no gumption and some self belief that we are better than some of the bottom six because we play some nice footy. Guess what means nowt if we get pumped aff a team of kids.

Demented and the first time I've left before full time this season. Joke.

• Like 1

Are you serious? Total arrogance from thistle after we scored cost us big time. Higgy might have been surprised to see his number up but It was his 2 on 1 chance In the second half that summed him up, greedy git, total glory hunter and I assume that's why the fans of his former clubs hate him. Talented but a one man show. Doolan should have been off before erskine, did he even touch the ball second half??

No fight no gumption and some self belief that we are better than some of the bottom six because we play some nice footy. Guess what means nowt if we get pumped aff a team of kids.

Demented and the first time I've left before full time this season. Joke.

Nonsense. Higganbotham has a go, and tries to go direct. How often do we hear folk shouting "hit it" or whatever. It didn't come off for us today. Hearts had a about six good chances and four went in. We could easily have had three in twenty minutes.

It was not our day. There are five games left and I fancy Higgy may make you eat your words. We shall see.

I hope we keep playing good passing football to the end though. If we are to go down, we should go down with our heads held high and all guns blazing.

Nonsense because you disagree with my opinion? Good factual argument.

Delusion my friend, remember we want the same thing. It's just I see a shirker and a luxury player before you.

If you think today was good enough I suggest you come to the other 20 odd games I've been to as that was probably the lowest point of the whole season.i look forward to seeing higgy go full blooded 50 50.

Edited to add apart fae the game at fir park where he had a point to prove not for us but against mwell fans...,,,,

Edited by kennymac29

I think that we have a football club that represents us all.

I think that we are in a battle, a battle we can win or lose.

We may lose at Kiilie, but St Mirren at Firhill Friday 25th should be a sell out. I'll be down in Edinburgh a couple of times. Irivine Welsh couln't of put it it better.

Ferocious to the end.