Free Saturdays : What To Do?

Lady Skwerr and I are having a wee sabbatical in Blackpool this weekend to relax before facing the terrors of the run in to the end of the season.

Trying to persuade her that we should hop on a tram and go see Fleetwood Town v Morcambe tomorrow.

Not sure I'll succeed......

Altho' I can't get the Chick Murray's story about Danny Kaye/Tommy Gemmell out of my mind that sounds like a cracking derby game.

Lady Skwerr and I are having a wee sabbatical in Blackpool this weekend to relax before facing the terrors of the run in to the end of the season.

Trying to persuade her that we should hop on a tram and go see Fleetwood Town v Morcambe tomorrow.

Not sure I'll succeed......

A visit to Highbury is highly recommended - by me anyway! Cracking wee stadium and if you opt for the terracing you can visit Jim's Bar at any point should the game be a bit dour. Also, Strawberry Gardens is a cracking boozer for a few beforehand - you may even catch that doyen of 1980s light entertainment - Syd Little.

That sounds intriguing. Any more details, please?

I thought LIB meant the story Chic Murray told about his wife falling over in Blackpool & her nose getting stuck in the tramline, so he threw her leg over the power line & pushed her all the way to Fleetwood. Not sure where Danny Kaye or Tam Gemmell come into it

I thought LIB meant the story Chic Murray told about his wife falling over in Blackpool & her nose getting stuck in the tramline, so he threw her leg over the power line & pushed her all the way to Fleetwood. Not sure where Danny Kaye or Tam Gemmell come into it

That's the story. As far as I'm aware it started with Danny Kaye progressed to Tommy Gemmell and I'm guessing after Chic & Maidie split up he felt brave enough to make it "the wife" as the brunt of the joke. Both DK & TG had rather prominent.....well see for yourselves http://www.angelfire...e/dannywink.jpg & http://4.bp.blogspot...emmell%2B78.jpg

A visit to Highbury is highly recommended - by me anyway! Cracking wee stadium and if you opt for the terracing you can visit Jim's Bar at any point should the game be a bit dour. Also, Strawberry Gardens is a cracking boozer for a few beforehand - you may even catch that doyen of 1980s light entertainment - Syd Little.

Cheers Mr.E and thanks for the tips - looking forward to it, although £20 seems a little steep for 4th Division football.

Will look out for wee Syd - always thought he was the brains behind the duo! ;-)

Already spotted Les Dawson (in statue form) in St. Annes this morning.

Enjoyable afternoon watching Morton, after being relatively close last season, finally succeeding in getting out of the division. I'm not exaggerating when I say I doubt they brought more than 100 fans today compared to about 2500 to some away game a year ago.

The game itself was scrappy but played in a near gale force cross wind. Alloa's two goals came from cross balls headed in by the two smallest guys on the park (Cawley & McCord). Made McKay's goal we lost in Inverness recently look like it was scored by Peter Crouch.

Playing for Morton today were Dougie Imrie, Rowan Vine & Darren Cole, three players not noted for having an inferiority complex,and Bachirou unbelievably poor compared to last season. Oh, and not the best of days for the Shiels family methinks.

eta Meant to say no Liam Lindsay today. Sadly the lad is injured and out for the rest of the season. With Brownlie just coming back from a month out at Cowdenbeath our central defence injury jinx continues.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett