What Should The Long Term Ambitions Of Ptfc Be?

Hankey

to me partick thistle are a Glasgow club if you take the club away from the city IMO you are taking away part of its soul. I have no desire to see partick thistle playing in East Kilbride, paisley, Stalingrad or wherever - it just wouldn't seem right to mover he club away from the city

Which is why in an earlier post I was musing on the many, many sites in Glasgow and in the North West of Glasgow which are empty and derelict and could possibly be home to a stadium.

But what history and tradition does Firhill really have left these days?

There's nothing left of the oval which marked the ground as a racehound track. There's two identikit meccano stands, and a crumbling edifice of a main stand. The place is already crowded out at one end by student flats, and if the board have their way, two sides of the stadium will be destroyed to make way for yet more flats and two tiny meccano stands squeezed in as an afterthought.

My thoughts might not be feasible, but are looking at trying to improve the club as a whole - just remember the owners of half the land are solely interested in making a profit, with the clubs interests treated as incidental to that. If anyone doesn't think that's the case I suggest they take another look at those god-awful plans for the City End.

Can I ask what contributes to the 'history' of Firhill? The nineteenth-century facilities in the Main Stand or the stanchions that block the view?

I honestly don't see any difference between Love Street and Firhill. May I suggest that people are still clinging to a romanticised view of a ground that hasn't existed in over twenty years?

Just remember, like I said above, soon enough there won't be much of a stadium left at all, and any chance to sell off the ground for somewhere new will be completely impossible.

The main stand at Firhill is a cracking old stand, was in it with my son for the recent game against Celtic, we had a good view of play etc, there was however a truly awfull smell coming from the "catering" stall, it smelt like someone was cooking up an old corpse. We never used the toilets as we were not their too long as we were sat amongst a right load of knob heads from both Celtic and Thistle and the atmosphere was pretty ugly, my wee boy got scared ended up in tears and we went home early. Point being it wasn't the decrepit old stand that spoilt the match experience, it was some of the degenerates attending it.

The JHS is a also a cracking big stand and looks very impressive when sitting in the main stand, you get a good view, toilets are fine, most of the folk are friendly enough, if it's a mechanno kit, it's a right big mechanno kit, I like the JHS alot, also Jackie Husband used to be a neighbour of ours, my older brother was friends with his son, so yes I like the Jackie Husband Stand.

Yes, the North Stand is a cheap lego stand, so I suppose if we moved and you already reside in the North Stand you can be rest assured, safe in the knowledge that you will get another stand much the same, the song "Maryhill is wonderfull" could be a little trickier, but we would have a new song, perhaps not better, but at least it would be "NEW" and that's what matters these days.

The Bing, I have looked at the plans for it and to be honest, it could be better, but there again it could be worse, a bit like Thistle I suppose.

The JHS is a also a cracking big stand and looks very impressive when sitting in the main stand, you get a good view, toilets are fine, most of the folk are friendly enough, if it's a mechanno kit, it's a right big mechanno kit, I like the JHS alot, also Jackie Husband used to be a neighbour of ours, my older brother was friends with his son, so yes I like the Jackie Husband Stand.

Nothing wrong at all with the JHS and looks very impressive from the players tunnel

A full JHS and a busy NS would make quite an impression on the teams as they come out as long as they don't look to their right.

Don't know the plans for the bing but anything will be better than it is just now, although you would hope what is planned looks ok and can make money for Thistle over the years.

Edited by billko

Nothing wrong at all with the JHS

• Season ticket holders seats are broken and when reported are not fixed.
  • Ones that were fixed during preseason are broken again after a handful of games.
  • There are leaks in the roof causing drips on ST holders seats.
  • The seats are dirty.
  • The pipes that run along the back wall leak.
  • The toilets haven't had any work done on them in nearly 20 years, this includes wooden toilet seats that are screwed onto the pan, so can't be lifted, so are covered in pish stains ingrained in the wood.
  • Apparently some toilets don't have running water.
  • The wiring is a shambles.
  • Has a lift been installed to allow wheelchair access to hospitality?
  • The concourse/pie stall layout causes confusion and restricts traffic during half time on anything like a busy crowd.

But yes, its big.

The JHS is 20 years old in December, are the club planning on doing anything to celebrate this? Like fix the problems?

For all its faults I'd rather have Firhill than NSMP. Yes, it's close to a railway station but services to PSJ are infrequent. NSMP is tucked away in a grim industrial estate, which is appropriate as the 'main stand' frontage resembles the frontage of an industrial unit. The lack of elevation means you get a worm's eye view if you're behind one of the goals - at least in the JH you get a decent view of the action - although that's not always a good thing...

• Like 1

For all its faults I'd rather have Firhill than NSMP. Yes, it's close to a railway station but services to PSJ are infrequent. NSMP is tucked away in a grim industrial estate, which is appropriate as the 'main stand' frontage resembles the frontage of an industrial unit. The lack of elevation means you get a worm's eye view if you're behind one of the goals - at least in the JH you get a decent view of the action - although that's not always a good thing...

The Gourock train stops at PSJ at 13.54, 14.24 and 14.54 on a Saturday.

Don't know the plans for the bing but anything will be better than it is just now, although you would hope what is planned looks ok and can make money for Thistle over the years.

Wasn't there a recent thread discussing the new plans submitted, where the amount the club would get from the club was about 17 grand whilst the other million and a half was kept by PropCo? And once the land is sold, it's sold. No more income ever. We're stuck with a stand about four rows deep which will never, ever be expanded (the likelihood of that is slim, yes, but still).

For all its faults I'd rather have Firhill than NSMP. Yes, it's close to a railway station but services to PSJ are infrequent.

At least trains run on time. Firhill is near a bus route and their schedules up and down Maryhill Road are f**king atrocious ...

You have to ask yourself.... if Firhill were to be sold, would there be enough cash to build a stadium... anywhere?

That's a good point. I can only imagine a supermarket chain wishing to purchase such land ... and companies such as Tesco aren't in the market for big megastores anymore, what with the general downswing in their fortunes.

St Mirren really lucked out getting such a good deal, really.

Fair enough - I thought it was one an hour!

Was going to say apart from the low level view NSP is a fine ground for the visiting fan if train be your mode of transport..Somewhat similarly is Dumbarton's current ground as would be Stirling Albion and Falkirk if you visit by car. That's all very well. I just wouldn't fancy trudging out to these grounds in perpetuity every two weeks.

Was going to say apart from the low level view NSP is a fine ground for the visiting fan if train be your mode of transport..Somewhat similarly is Dumbarton's current ground as would be Stirling Albion and Falkirk if you visit by car. That's all very well. I just wouldn't fancy trudging out to these grounds in perpetuity every two weeks.

I like the height at NDP with the pie stalls at pitch level. Means you can watch the game getting a pie, and if built properly, disabled users can get an equally good view as others in the ground.

I like the height at NDP with the pie stalls at pitch level. Means you can watch the game getting a pie, and if built properly, disabled users can get an equally good view as others in the ground.

Agree.. I was in the pie queue at NDP when Welsh banged in yon header. Would have hated to have missed that one.

I was talking about New St Mirren PK tho'. Why I referred to it as NSP is my secret and I'm not telling anyone why :)

Always wished the JHS had been designed similarly. Not the pie stalls and front access, though that'd be fine for the NS, but with the front row raised a couple of metres above the pitch. It's how the shed terrace was, which I always thought gave a better view.

There should be a wheel chair spectators' area put into the JHS on the level of one of the regular entance/exits. Perhaps at the city end from the stairway to the end wall, but even closer to centre i could imagine a design that would not infringe too much on other spectators view or access. Taking out a few rows of seats and creating a permanent concrete platform with space for, 10 or so wheelchair users and friends wouldn't be a major engineering feat, and would probably cost alot less than the extra hospitality and posh seats the directors put in for themselves a few years back.

I much prefer watching the game from higher up in the stand and I don't think it's too much to ask, given the design and approach to the JHS, that wheelchair fans are given that option too.

I think there's a difference between ourselves and a town club, such as StMirren or StJohnstone (or even Aberdeen). St Mirren represents Paisley, and therefore it doesn't really matter where in Paisley you put their stadium, you're not moving them from their "heartland". A club such as Thistle is more complicated. To some extent we represent all of Glasgow, though only the select few, but we also draw fans from surrounding districts. I don't believe we're a as easily defined geographically. Thistle represents a culture and an attitude as much as it represents a specific area. Our name doesn't even match our location.

You could argue that this means we could move anywhere. But I think it makes it more important that we stay in what you could call our "spiritual home", as Firhill is the only place where Thistle would ever be truly at home. Clyde suffered dramatically from leaving Shawfield and never really found that spiritual home again, and I would fear that a Partick Thistle anywhere but Firhill would suffer the same fate.

Anyway, Firhill's grand. Nobody complains about it when we're winning. And half the people on here touting a move get all worked up when they're asked to move their seat for a game, which I find confusing.

• Like 2

When the Jackie Husband Stand was built, were there any plans around for what was to be done with the rest of the stadium?

I remember those plans Jim Oliver announced a few years before, for the four stands and buildings in each corner. But I don't recall seeing anything for what actually ended up being built. The JHS has always been a bit on the ridiculously large side.

Was the plan always just to plonk it there without further thought, and leave the two goal ends as terracing - or was there a 'stage two' that was given up upon when we nearly went bust?

Always wished the JHS had been designed similarly. Not the pie stalls and front access, though that'd be fine for the NS, but with the front row raised a couple of metres above the pitch. It's how the shed terrace was, which I always thought gave a better view.

There should be a wheel chair spectators' area put into the JHS on the level of one of the regular entance/exits. Perhaps at the city end from the stairway to the end wall, but even closer to centre i could imagine a design that would not infringe too much on other spectators view or access. Taking out a few rows of seats and creating a permanent concrete platform with space for, 10 or so wheelchair users and friends wouldn't be a major engineering feat, and would probably cost alot less than the extra hospitality and posh seats the directors put in for themselves a few years back.

I much prefer watching the game from higher up in the stand and I don't think it's too much to ask, given the design and approach to the JHS, that wheelchair fans are given that option too.

What you are suggesting, maxi told Ian & I would be happening during pre season.

I think there's a difference between ourselves and a town club, such as StMirren or StJohnstone (or even Aberdeen). St Mirren represents Paisley, and therefore it doesn't really matter where in Paisley you put their stadium, you're not moving them from their "heartland". A club such as Thistle is more complicated. To some extent we represent all of Glasgow, though only the select few, but we also draw fans from surrounding districts. I don't believe we're a as easily defined geographically. Thistle represents a culture and an attitude as much as it represents a specific area. Our name doesn't even match our location.

You could argue that this means we could move anywhere. But I think it makes it more important that we stay in what you could call our "spiritual home", as Firhill is the only place where Thistle would ever be truly at home. Clyde suffered dramatically from leaving Shawfield and never really found that spiritual home again, and I would fear that a Partick Thistle anywhere but Firhill would suffer the same fate.

Anyway, Firhill's grand. Nobody complains about it when we're winning. And half the people on here touting a move get all worked up when they're asked to move their seat for a game, which I find confusing.

Ally, I don't think anyone's suggested upping sticks and moving to a new town, just that the stadiums done. And needs massive repair work, at the least.

There are areas available, like Cowlairs, across the canal, or down at TTL's shop which are suitable size.

Sight hill is getting a pile of money ploughed into it, wonder what the plans are for Sighthill park.

I'm sorry that you are in disbelief that someone who wants to make the best of what we have at present would enter a discussion like this. I don't know how you sleep at night.

Ally, I don't think anyone's suggested upping sticks and moving to a new town, just that the stadiums done. And needs massive repair work, at the least.

There are areas available, like Cowlairs, across the canal, or down at TTL's shop which are suitable size.

Sight hill is getting a pile of money ploughed into it, wonder what the plans are for Sighthill park.

I'm sorry that you are in disbelief that someone who wants to make the best of what we have at present would enter a discussion like this. I don't know how you sleep at night.

My point is that it doesn't matter where it is, anywhere but Firhill would, for me, be ripping away a huge part of Thistle's identity. And I'm very surprised that many Thistle fans seem so ready to give up Firhill.

Doesn't make that view wrong, just one that I'm strongly opposed to and can't relate to. But I generally sleep okay, thanks.

Edited by allyo

It may be more that your done with the stadium, rather than the stadium being done?

It may be more that your done with the stadium, rather than the stadium being done?

Not at all, I'd love to celebrate 20 years of the JHS that the club gave it a face lift, fixed the seats at least.

I'd love it to be as fresh as the day it was built.

I'd love the main stand to be modernised. I'd live at least for the club to respect our players safety and get rid of the concrete that runs the length of the pitch infront of the main stand and replsce it with AstroTurf.

But I know these things won't happen, because as I've said before, we're just the mugs who part with our cash every week. We should be thankful for having a club to support.

And whilst ambassadors lounges and hospitality suites get redecorated, for the tie and blazer brigade, there's folk sitting in a seat that slopes forward, or has a drip of dirty water landing on it. Who has to go to a 20 year old toilet that doesn't flush and is covered in piss stains.

Christ the main stand didn't even have sinks in it for a full season! And we charged for 20 quid to use our facilities! Thanks for visiting our ground.

Let me reiterate this, I would love Firhill to remain our ground. But as time goes on, the financial noose gets tighter. And the club needs to do something to loosen it. And building two wee sub 1000 stands is not the solution.

Glad to hear it's allegedly in the pipeline. Just wish they'd get the finger oot.

I know these things can become more complicated than they first appear, http://www.safetyatsportsgrounds.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/accessible-stadia.pdf and i'm not unduly under-estimating the amount of work. But like i say the JHS , because of its design is probably one of the easier stands in the country to accomodate such a feature.

It's not like we can't afford to loose 100-200 odd seats. And i'd say it's not unimaginable that if done well, to a decent level of finish, it could even attract a few extra season ticket sales and possibly pay for itself after a few years. Should've been done years ago.