Scouting Network

La Scimmia Rossa

I often with St Albans when I'm down in London area, cracking set up. They have a guy John Frebdo who scores for fun. They are part time but I think a few could do us a turn. A good place to look as we can compete with Confer wages. I just wish we had looked this summer rather than try out some of the duds we had on trial. Also take a listen to the non league shoe on Radio 5. Excellent coverage, podcast easier as it's recorded in Manchester on Saturday night but broadcast at 5.30 am in Sunday!

I might be being thick here but are they scouting for kids?

Or if it's for first team/development squad then why is it on the ThistleWeir site?

Genuinely confused.

I don't think so but it's a fair question. Another question is whether it is worth scouting the lower non-league with lots of small teams who are part-time.

The Conference covers all of England from Gateshead to Dover and Eastleigh. The volunteer scout(s) will need deep pockets to cover the travelling costs. Covering the other north and south leagues will not be cheap either.

^

Someone who hasn't read the advert.

???

I read it fully before posting.

The advert does not state any age group that is being targeted.

It asks for each volunteer to nominate a league to scout.

There is no mention of expenses being paid.

If you are trying to troll, you are not very good at it.

"Please note that due to this being a voluntary role you will be advised to state a preferred league based on your location. "

"• Conference Premier

• Conference South

• Conference North"

Yes. I had read that - a league, not more than one. Are you honestly expecting enough volunteers to allocate four or five to each league? There are nearly 70 clubs in the three conference leagues alone. Then there are another nine leagues with over 20 clubs each. You would need a lot of volunteers to cover them properly.

Realistically, we would be better off focusing on Leagues One and Two and the Conference Premier to begin with. Our best recruits have from the Football League. Magnay, who was not given a contract after his trial period, went back to the Conference with Grimsby Town. The lower leagues are well below our standard.

Edited by kni

Can't see people doing it for nought. Since I tweeted this I've had a dozen followers from Non League clubs, interesting to see what develops.also Scot Alison who is the contact at Thistle Weir has favorited my tweet. So hopefully he gets some responses.

I think this advert just proves that we are really lacking in a scouting system.

• Like 1

It's not like there's hundreds of out of work footballers and coaches trying desperately to get back into the game is there? Guys who spend most Saturdays going to games anyway....

How much do scouts in Scotland get paid for non league? I mean that stretches from Wick to Gretna? How do they cope?

It's not like there's hundreds of out of work footballers and coaches trying desperately to get back into the game is there? Guys who spend most Saturdays going to games anyway....

How much do scouts in Scotland get paid for non league? I mean that stretches from Wick to Gretna? How do they cope?

Don't you know? Surely the club has established a scouting network in Scotland before starting one in England.

How will those out of work footballers and coaches in England find the money from their dole money to pay their expenses?

If they are in jobs, are they desperate to give their free time and spare cash to Thistle rather than their local team(s)?

Edited by kni

Don't you know? Surely the club has established a scouting network in Scotland before starting one in England.

How will those out of work footballers and coaches in England find the money from their dole money to pay their expenses?

If they are in jobs, are they desperate to give their free time and spare cash to Thistle rather than their local team(s)?

Why do we need to know the operational methods of a scouting system? I'm just glad that thistleweir are addressing this and thank Colin for pointing it out. I just hope it's the start of something fruitful.

I might be being thick here but are they scouting for kids?

Or if it's for first team/development squad then why is it on the ThistleWeir site?

Genuinely confused.

It will be players over 16 as that's when they can get contracts.

I don't know anything else about this or why it's on the ThistleWeir site or even how it will all work

Many years ago, when my late father managed an amateur side, he told me that to find out the good prospects in any league, all you had to do was speak to the referees: they knew all the teams and knew who was more talented. Speak to two or three, and you get more information than any scout could gather.

Many years ago, when my late father managed an amateur side, he told me that to find out the good prospects in any league, all you had to do was speak to the referees: they knew all the teams and knew who was more talented. Speak to two or three, and you get more information than any scout could gather.

Most refs can't implement simple rules that they've studied for years, so I find it unlikely they can spot a decent player...Or maybe that's why they can't do a good job, cos they're too busy seeing what players are the best!

Most refs can't implement simple rules that they've studied for years, so I find it unlikely they can spot a decent player...Or maybe that's why they can't do a good job, cos they're too busy seeing what players are the best!

Actually Fearchar is spot on.if you're talking about refs way down the leagues.

But ask Willie Collum what he thought of Figo, Ronaldo & Zico and he'll just tell you he was never a fan of the Marx Brothers.

• Like 3

It will be players over 16 as that's when they can get contracts.

I don't know anything else about this or why it's on the ThistleWeir site or even how it will all work

There is still no mention of tho initiative on the official site. Compensation is payable for players who are under 23 unless they are released by their clubs. Perhaps the generous Weirs are putting money aside for recruitment.

Who is to say there isn't a scouting network already in place and this is adding to it? As for voluntary. You can undertake voluntary work and still receive expenses...

Fair points but can't you, who claims to have inside information from club sources, tell us? Surely such information could be included in the ads to help to attract potential scouts.

Can you also tell us who scouted the players who signed after the season started, i.e. Seabourne, Carroll, Eccleston and Richards-Everton?

Edited by kni

There is still no mention of tho initiative on the official site. Compensation is payable for players who are under 23 unless they are released by their clubs. Perhaps the generous Weirs are putting money aside for recruitment.

This isn't some sort of cloak & dagger venture. It even gets a wee mention in the ET. I see no benefit whatsoever in airing this on the official site and can think of a few reasons why it might not get a mention there

Fair points but can't you, who claims to have inside information from club sources, tell us? Surely such information could be included in the ads to help to attract potential scouts.

Can you also tell us who scouted the players who signed after the season started, i.e. Seabourne, Carroll, Eccleston and Richards-Everton?

I'm not for one minute advocating secrecy but we don't need to know. What will you, me or anyone else for that matter get out of knowing?

This isn't some sort of cloak & dagger venture. It even gets a wee mention in the ET. I see no benefit whatsoever in airing this on the official site and can think of a few reasons why it might not get a mention there

I'm not for one minute advocating secrecy but we don't need to know. What will you, me or anyone else for that matter get out of knowing?

I prefer not knowing, then the boo boys can talk about Elvis being our only Scout.

Incidentally, I find that line hard to believe as he's Never Been To Spain.