Scouting Network

La Scimmia Rossa

Would it not be more productive if your energies and questions were directed to the club.

I don't need to know either. :happy2:

You posted the link to the ad for volunteers to form an English non-league scouting network. Yet you don't want to know about the club's scouting network in Scotland or the Football League in England? Perhaps you do know but don't want to tell us the truth. It's also strange that posters like Lady Isobel and Potty Trained (who readily discuss other topics) don't wish to know either.

With so much comment on the club's signings on here (e.g. Stevenson, Seabourne and Carroll), the scouting networks that are available to the management team should be a topic for discussion. With several players having their contracts terminated since January, are we entitled to ask whether a significant proportion of this year's budget has been spent on paying them off?

You posted the link to the ad for volunteers to form an English non-league scouting network. Yet you don't want to know about the club's scouting network in Scotland or the Football League in England? Perhaps you do know but don't want to tell us the truth. It's also strange that posters like Lady Isobel and Potty Trained (who readily discuss other topics) don't wish to know either.

With so much comment on the club's signings on here (e.g. Stevenson, Seabourne and Carroll), the scouting networks that are available to the management team should be a topic for discussion. With several players having their contracts terminated since January, are we entitled to ask whether a significant proportion of this year's budget has been spent on paying them off?

Who is saying they shouldn't be a topic for discussion? Discuss away. If you believe we've a right to know a breakdown of the manager's budget and in relation to that the extensiveness of our "scouting network" that's all fine by me. Just why any manager/representative of a football club would want that aired on a public forum is completely beyond me.

Surely all we really need to know is whether or not we have scouts and at what levels. In fact, we don't even need to know that. What else could you need? Names of scouts? Details of matches they've been to? Their opinions of the players they have seen? Their favourite films?

Tempted to go for a position on one of the southern regions, however my ability to spot potentially food players is cack.

Supposedly Martin Hardie undertakes scouting duties with regards to the team. Going back over the years the only named scout I was aware of was Bobbie Dinnie. I don't even know if he was on the official payroll but I think he was mentioned in the programme's list of staff. I guess a lot of this work is done freelance with smaller clubs like ours?

Surely all we really need to know is whether or not we have scouts and at what levels. In fact, we don't even need to know that. What else could you need? Names of scouts? Details of matches they've been to? Their opinions of the players they have seen? Their favourite films?

Tempted to go for a position on one of the southern regions, however my ability to spot potentially food players is cack.

You could find us the next Mark Yardley or Jim Slavin potentially? ;)

Worried you'd make a meal of it?

To be serious I don't think spotting a good footballer with potential would be the difficult part. Finding out about his character, background etc would be probably harder. The guy might tick all the boxes on the field but have a good paying job outside football. Just in general getting a player to relocate from the South of England would be a regular problem. Ross Co for instance have something similar attracting Scottish footballers away from the Central Belt.

I asked Archie about this last evening and we have people covering games in Scotland. These are people who Archie has played with and trusts their opinions (Jimmy Boyle and George Shaw were mentioned). We are looking to get people in place down south but these would not be on the wage bill as we simply can't afford that, they would be getting expenses basically. Former Thistle coach John Henry was going to do some work for us but a change in the management structure at the club he is with put a stop to that. Things are progressing but we did start from a low base.

• Like 1