Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

This picture has puzzled me for some time. It's labelled as "vs. Forfar," but the crowd looks pretty sparse, so it can't be the promotion-clinching match which had a crowd of nearly 10,000. I noticed the goal line changes in angle at each side; is it in fact made up from three different photos? Anybody got any information?

v_Forfar.png

This picture has puzzled me for some time. It's labelled as "vs. Forfar," but the crowd looks pretty sparse, so it can't be the promotion-clinching match which had a crowd of nearly 10,000. I noticed the goal line changes in angle at each side; is it in fact made up from three different photos? Anybody got any information?

v_Forfar.png

Last home game of the 88/89 season. Really hot day with everyone scattered around the ground as opposed to standing in the shade under The Shed. Thistle won 4-1.

This picture has puzzled me for some time. It's labelled as "vs. Forfar," but the crowd looks pretty sparse, so it can't be the promotion-clinching match which had a crowd of nearly 10,000. I noticed the goal line changes in angle at each side; is it in fact made up from three different photos? Anybody got any information? v_Forfar.png

If it is Forfar, they have played 25 times at Firhill since 1971. Agreed it's not the promotion-winning match and we can discount the post-JHS/Floodlights/offices refurbishment matches so that narrows it down. Judging by the short sleeves if you assume it's early or late in the season, it could be:-

3.4.76 (4-2)

4.5.85 (1-1)

26.9.87 (1-1)

6.5.89 (4-1)

Bloke in the right hand corner looks thoroughly bored!

Watching some of the players here reminded me of my encounter with Thistle around this time. It was getting to the summer school holidays and l was at St Tams in Scotstoun. Three of us decided to walk down to Scotstoun Showgrounds to try and find anyone playing football to ask if we could get a game. When we got there the only people in the place were Thistle players, presumably at the start of pre season training, running around the track on the outside of the Jubilee Pitch, which is the one the Warriors play on now. After a wee while Lambie told the three of us we could take one of the team balls and play with on the pitch. As we took it in turns to blooter shots at the keeper, Lambie and Collins kept shouting at the players to run harder or catch up with whoever was in front of them. Anyway after about twenty minutes in what felt like blistering heat, we were taking our last shots at goal before getting ready to go back to school. The last shot, from the youngest of the three of us, was a big up and under which landed - without him noticing it coming - smack in the face of Mark McWalters. To say he was pretty angry and ready to sort the three of us out because he thought we meant it, is putting it mildly. Lambie, who along with the rest of the team had started laughing at McWalters, saw him making a beeline for the three of us shouted to him "If yid ah been movin' quicker it widnae huv went anywhere f*****g near yae Mark. Leave the boys alone cause it wiz an accident." Anyway the team stopped running shortly after that and started heading in to get changed. I remember wishing Sammy Johnstone all the best for the season but avoiding McWalters who still looked angry, before giving Lambie the ball back. As we gave the ball back to Lambie he patted my mate on the head and told him if his team could find their man with the pass as well as he'd found McWalters face then they'd have a good year!

• Like 1

Watching some of the players here reminded me of my encounter with Thistle around this time. It was getting to the summer school holidays and l was at St Tams in Scotstoun. Three of us decided to walk down to Scotstoun Showgrounds to try and find anyone playing football to ask if we could get a game. When we got there the only people in the place were Thistle players, presumably at the start of pre season training, running around the track on the outside of the Jubilee Pitch, which is the one the Warriors play on now. After a wee while Lambie told the three of us we could take one of the team balls and play with on the pitch. As we took it in turns to blooter shots at the keeper, Lambie and Collins kept shouting at the players to run harder or catch up with whoever was in front of them. Anyway after about twenty minutes in what felt like blistering heat, we were taking our last shots at goal before getting ready to go back to school. The last shot, from the youngest of the three of us, was a big up and under which landed - without him noticing it coming - smack in the face of Mark McWalters. To say he was pretty angry and ready to sort the three of us out because he thought we meant it, is putting it mildly. Lambie, who along with the rest of the team had started laughing at McWalters, saw him making a beeline for the three of us shouted to him "If yid ah been movin' quicker it widnae huv went anywhere f*****g near yae Mark. Leave the boys alone cause it wiz an accident." Anyway the team stopped running shortly after that and started heading in to get changed. I remember wishing Sammy Johnstone all the best for the season but avoiding McWalters who still looked angry, before giving Lambie the ball back. As we gave the ball back to Lambie he patted my mate on the head and told him if his team could find their man with the pass as well as he'd found McWalters face then they'd have a good year!

:clapping: