Just In

Third Lanark

We're spending zilch on youth development? Loanees will cost next to nothing? Eccleston is enjoying the same wages as he did at Coventry?

An awful lot of assumptions there, BGM.

I've given you my take on why we are where we are - all of it reasonable.

You're in the directors box so you tell us...

Weirs ploughing most of the money into youth development, correct?

Mukendi came to us from Liverpool same way as Msn City loanees went to St Mirren. They're under 19s. They're not even reserve players as such.

St Mirren have today cut & run with the Kenny McLean money. Does that sound like a club that's on top of things financially? They're battling relegation & selling their best player.

I've never said Ecclestone on same wage, I've said he's on a reasonable wage. Without giving anything away, would you not agree?

I've given you my take on where we are & why- all of it reasonable also. I'll think you'll find I've never disagreed with what you said but because I have a different opinion than yours you automatically think I'm wrong, you're right?

So... Inverted commas. Names like 'Ross' or 'Gordon or 'David or 'Alan' or just place names like 'Cumbetnauld'

What's the orrect etiquette? Is that how you say it?

Obviously something else of mine that bothers you!!

How much of the Weir cash has gone on new positions, though? If it isn't replacing 'old' money then nothing's going to be diverted elsewhere, is it?

Could McLean's move have been triggered by Aberdeen meeting a release clause?

I don't have a clue how much Eccleston's on, and neither do you.

If you don't disagree with me then why do we have a difference of opinion?

And what is your obsession with finding out my identity? Because I said your preoccupation with those you believe are ITK is weird? Because it is. Just like spending time trying to find out who people on the internet is.

Edited by Dark Passenger

How much of the Weir cash has gone on new positions, though? If it isn't replacing 'old' money then nothing's going to be diverted elsewhere, is it?

Could McLean's move have been triggered by Aberdeen meeting a release clause?

I don't have a clue how much Eccleston's on, and neither do you.

If you don't disagree with me then why do we have a difference of opinion?

And what is your obsession with finding out my identity? Because I said your preoccupation with those you believe are ITK is weird? Because it is. Just like spending time trying to find out who people on the internet is.

What are you on about trying to find your identity?

You said you were in the directors lounge when I offered to meet you for a pint!!

You said no & gave your childish reason. Fine.

As for having a difference of opinion. It's a football forum. I'm not saying you're wrong for having your opinion as you d explained- doesn't mean I agree.

That is the same for mine.

So about these inverted commas?

• Like 1

Well the evening after the night before.....

Everything about last night annoyed me. Once St Mirren scored early the script was written. They would sit in, waste time and try on occasion to hit us on the break and they did it well. We huffed and puffed, created a few half chances but they packed the centre of the defence and we could not get through.

The problem is we did not have anyone who could make a killer pass, beat a player to get a shot away or indeed do something different....

...We all know we can get the ball wide & into the box. The problem being that Doolan's is linking the play or isn't 12 feet tall.

The debate has moved on from consideration of the actual game, but it might be worth considering this game as an example of a wider problem.

IMHO there are three ways of getting the ball into dangerous positions:

(1) The long ball into the box - tried and lamentably unsuccessful.

(2) The cross/cutback from the wings - tried and generally failed to feed a player in the box.

(3) Playing the ball directly through the centre into the box - barely tried at all.

Much of our success in the past has been through mixing our approaches, and in particular using (3). It doesn't have to result in goals, because drawing fouls in on or on the edge of the box will increase the likelihood of scoring. Abandoning this in favour of the long ball was the team's undoing, but leaving Doolan without support, huffing and puffing to pick up scraps from high balls doesn't help either. Once or twice the team started to look dangerous, when Doolan and Lawless combined in the box, but Lawless is usually consigned to the wing.

Football strategy isn't something I even practise on a computer, but if I'd been in Archie's shoes (OK, with the benefit of hindsight!), I'd have gone to three at the back, brought on McDaid on the right and told Lawless to go through the middle in front of Stevenson and behind Doolan. As it was, our attack was toothless against a team that hadn't played a game for ages without conceding.

It does seem to me that some criticism of our management team's apparent inability to change the setup to suit the circumstances is justified.

Edited by Fearchar
  • Like 1

Repeating the approach used against Hamilton Accies against St Mirren does seem to indicate that the management team is not responding to changes in the opposition.

Eh? As many folk as not would've given the MotM v Accies to Lawless. The tactics on Friday night more or less determined that Wee Stevie would only play a bit part. The ball was hardly ever on the ground.