What's More Important? Staying In The Spl Or Playing Good Football?

LambieIsGod

Any winning football is good football

Any losing football is bad football

Has any supporter of any club ever said "well we may have lost 5-0, but we played great ?"

I don't understand the question I'm being asked

Hi DD. I probably didn't put my question as clearly as I could have. I've followed Thistle since I was a kid because I disliked everything about the old firm and wanted an alternative. However first and foremost I am a football fan and, for example, I stopped going to watch Thistle in the DC days because the quality of football was dire and not worth watching. I want to pay to see good football, although I appreciate that can never be a guarantee before the game. The promotion campaign a couple of years ago was great. Not only because we won the league, but also because the quality of football was fantastic at times.

So, on the back of some dreadful recent performances from us in the SPL, and after seeing some posts on here indicating that SPL status is a must at ALL costs, I thought of a totally hypothetical (and meant for fun) question. Namely, given the choice, if you were GUARANTEED SPL status but told that the quality of football would be dire throughout, would you take it over watching quality football in the 1st division?

If I knew beforehand that we were destined for eternity in the 1st division, never winning promotion but playing good football every week, I'd soon lose interest, I think. But just as poor football is not guaranteed in the top division, neither is good football guaranteed in the 1st. For that reason alone I'd rather take my chances and stay with the top clubs in the country, with all that that entails.

Hi DD. I probably didn't put my question as clearly as I could have. I've followed Thistle since I was a kid because I disliked everything about the old firm and wanted an alternative. However first and foremost I am a football fan and, for example, I stopped going to watch Thistle in the DC days because the quality of football was dire and not worth watching. I want to pay to see good football, although I appreciate that can never be a guarantee before the game. The promotion campaign a couple of years ago was great. Not only because we won the league, but also because the quality of football was fantastic at times.

So, on the back of some dreadful recent performances from us in the SPL, and after seeing some posts on here indicating that SPL status is a must at ALL costs, I thought of a totally hypothetical (and meant for fun) question. Namely, given the choice, if you were GUARANTEED SPL status but told that the quality of football would be dire throughout, would you take it over watching quality football in the 1st division?

I was probably just as flippant with my reply, but football is a results game and winning is everything. I am sure that the Wimbledon supporters of the '80s took great joy from a big hoof up the park, just as much as the Barca fans love 47 passes to get the ball out of their own half. Do it well and you get happy supporters, because you get wins. The 2 are totally interlinked and while there may be freak results, in general the team that executes their game plan the best will win.

Now I would hate it if we became a team that won every week. I don't see the pleasure in going expecting a win and when it happens, so what. The glory hunting OF might get off on that, but I want a bit of unexpected. I'd like to see us beat Celtic/Aberdeen/Dundee U occassionaly, and will take defeats to Ross/St.Mirren/Motherwell occasionally as a consequence. The excitement comes from not knowing what you are going to get, rather than the way the game is played.

And to answer the question directly, there is no point in our existing if we don't aim to be in the top flight and looking to get higher every year.

I was probably just as flippant with my reply, but football is a results game and winning is everything. I am sure that the Wimbledon supporters of the '80s took great joy from a big hoof up the park, just as much as the Barca fans love 47 passes to get the ball out of their own half. Do it well and you get happy supporters, because you get wins. The 2 are totally interlinked and while there may be freak results, in general the team that executes their game plan the best will win.

Now I would hate it if we became a team that won every week. I don't see the pleasure in going expecting a win and when it happens, so what. The glory hunting OF might get off on that, but I want a bit of unexpected. I'd like to see us beat Celtic/Aberdeen/Dundee U occassionaly, and will take defeats to Ross/St.Mirren/Motherwell occasionally as a consequence. The excitement comes from not knowing what you are going to get, rather than the way the game is played.

And to answer the question directly, there is no point in our existing if we don't aim to be in the top flight and looking to get higher every year.

Agree pretty much with everything you say here and would only add that the football being served up lately is dross and if it continues we WILL be relegated.

The buzz at Firhill was evident when Thistle were neck and neck with Morton and going for a title.

Since then i haven't felt the atmosphere has been the same since promotion and it must be difficult to motivate yourself to go and watch survival football which at times isn't pretty.

The fans need to get fully behind the team and encourage them to play the type of football that they are good at and the results will come.

Staying up is everything and i still believe they will do this if the players find that confidence and the form again to play the football they are capable of.

Edited by billko

We'll scrape something -> Fans will get back on side, and show more patience -> Confidence will return -> Players will be prepared to take more risks -> The long balls will stop -> We'll be playing entertaining football -> Everyone wil be destroyed in our Jaggy wake

The buzz at Firhill was evident when Thistle were neck and neck with Morton and going for a title.

Since then i haven't felt the atmosphere has been the same since promotion and it must be difficult to motivate yourself to go and watch survival football which at times isn't pretty.

The fans need to get fully behind the team and encourage them to play the type of football that they are good at and the results will come.

Staying up is everything and i still believe they will do this if the players find that confidence and the form again to play the football they are capable of.

Agree. If we just try and play survival football, like say St Mirren the other week or a typical Derek Adams type County, we'll struggle big time. I feel we'll need to do something away from home to kick start the confidence thingy. I can't see those who relish a good moan and enjoy slinging insults at the team staying away from Firhill.