Wee Bit Of Luck

jagfaelivi

There is a school of thought that you make your own luck! BUT how many agree with me that NOTHING seems to go right for us; we never seem to get a wee break at the right time? Maybe I am looking at the football world through red and yellow tinted specs.

Consider Dundee - apart from the 45 minutes at Dens at the beginning of the season after Foxy had been dismissed for what seemed very little we have totally outplayed them and have two points to show for it against their five. They eliminated Aberdeen in the cup at Dens and were outplayed but scored a late goal. Quite often reports have suggested they have been poor and yet so often they get something.

AND what about all the late goals we've lost? I know this has been done to death and that it hasn't happened for a few weeks but wasn't Dingwall last week when we pressed with ten men the right time for our luck to turn with a late goal? No chance.

Consider the joke first goal(agreed as being so vital) that we lost against County at home, where bounces off our own players left the guy with a tap in. And how often lately I've turned to somebody sitting next to me and said that loose balls ALWAYS seem to fall for the opposition either in our box or their box. Nobody seems to disagree.

Wouldn't it be great to play pretty ordinarily and get lucky with three points one week? Just one time would be a great start. After all I heard somebody on the radio bemoaning the fact about last season when NOTHING went right for Hibs. Well they did against luckless Thistle when they equalised twice in the last gasp at Easter Road and stole three points in the first Firhill encounter.

Just one time!!? Let it be the Jags.

Our second goal against Dundee United was a lucky break. It did not in itself net us any more points, but would we have survived the last 10 minutes if we had been only one goal up?

General point taken that this fortunate deflection was an isolated occurrence in a season when the bounce of the ball has normally gone the other way.

With apologies for going slightly off topic, but it does not seem appropriate to start a whole new thread, another aspect of luck/decisions going against us is the adverse penalty count, just one for and a large number against, this being slightly masked by Gallacher saving several.

If we were to get a penalty today, who would take it? Muirhead no longer with us, Higgy suspended, Doolan missed his last one and may not be on the pitch anyway. We need someone who has confidence and is a good ball striker. Taylor has the confidence, but tends to scuff his shots. Fraser has the sweet strike, but not currently the confidence. Stevenson, if playing? O'Donnell would be a courageous call. I can see him giving the goalie the eyes and then dinking it into the opposite corner. Wonderful if it comes off. Knowing our luck the goalkeeper would go the wrong way, but somehow the ball would touch a trailing toe or fingertip.

If we were to get a penalty today, who would take it? Muirhead no longer with us, Higgy suspended, Doolan missed his last one and may not be on the pitch anyway. We need someone who has confidence and is a good ball striker. Taylor has the confidence, but tends to scuff his shots. Fraser has the sweet strike, but not currently the confidence. Stevenson, if playing? O'Donnell would be a courageous call. I can see him giving the goalie the eyes and then dinking it into the opposite corner. Wonderful if it comes off. Knowing our luck the goalkeeper would go the wrong way, but somehow the ball would touch a trailing toe or fingertip.

Not advocating he take it but Osman might be in with a shout. I'm sure I read somewhere that he took one in a Wembley play off or something along those lines. He's also likely to be captain. Of course he may only ever have taken/scored the one penalty in his life. :)

Wilson btw is or certainly has been the U20s penalty taker.

Not advocating he take it but Osman might be in with a shout. I'm sure I read somewhere that he took one in a Wembley play off or something along those lines. He's also likely to be captain. Of course he may only ever have taken/scored the one penalty in his life. :)

He scored the winner in a shoot-out v Liverpool at Anfield.