Metz

BowenBoys

On July 8 I will be boarding a bus early in the morning. Destined for France. Just a coincidence and on this occasion the bus is only going as far as Edinburgh Airport.

20 years ago the bus was going all the way to Metz. When I purchased my ticket for the bus, I was told that it was just an hour from the ferry landing. I never bothered to check. The journey through northern France seems interminable but what a sight greeted us as we drove into the town that sunny afternoon. Jags fans f@~king everywhere.

What a day was had.

As we left the terracing, after the match, the Metz fans were waiting for us. As we walked down the steps towards them they began to chant "Scotland, Scotland". The parade of Jags and Metz fans back into town is something I will never forget.

And one more memory. The players came into the bar we were in after the match. Somebody handed Nicky Walker a pint which slipped through his fingers and smashed on the floor. Who'd be a goalkeeper?

How was your day?

• Like 1

I was there with my bro and my dad, my bro and I were only 8&9 so we didn't get to enjoy the after match swallying etc but I remember walking back to the hotel after the game in amongst all the fans and it was a great atmosphere, That Nicky Walker story is legendary. We got talking to Davie on the city centre bus and been speaking to him ever since if we see each other at the game. I seem to remember a female Thistle fan on the bus that always wore a black leather jacket and had a wee bat with a Thistle scarf on her backpack, she used to go everywhere but I've not seen her in ages, does anyone remember her or know who she was?

I was there with my bro and my dad, my bro and I were only 8&9 so we didn't get to enjoy the after match swallying etc but I remember walking back to the hotel after the game in amongst all the fans and it was a great atmosphere, That Nicky Walker story is legendary. We got talking to Davie on the city centre bus and been speaking to him ever since if we see each other at the game. I seem to remember a female Thistle fan on the bus that always wore a black leather jacket and had a wee bat with a Thistle scarf on her backpack, she used to go everywhere but I've not seen her in ages, does anyone remember her or know who she was?

Goth jag.

Last time I saw her was a Dumfries game during D&G I think. In the wee pub beside the train station.

Spookily Bowden i was in that bar. i tell that story all the time. It was Roddy Grant. Did it deliberately. You remember Grant drinking a yard of ale type thing? Or is time playing tricks on me?

Afraid not. Time might be playing tricks on one of us. Wouldn't like to say who.

I was living in Strasbourg at the time. Got a train through to Metz, teamed up with another Jag who had come via Germany. Unbelievable sight on exiting the train station: Jags fans here, Jags fans there.... Thistle flags draped over hotel balconies all across the street. A couple of beers, then the walk up to the stadium, hearing singing getting louder and louder.... It became clear that it was from hundreds of Thistle fans already inside the stadium. The match itself wasn't up to much it must be said, but the atmosphere before, during and after it were hard to beat.