Refugee Crisis- Email To The Club

La Scimmia Rossa

LSR

Would it be worth setting up a Justgiving page for Jags fans to donate to Save the Children? Posters on here could donate through that and maybe Maxi would agree to have it publicised through OS and programme for the Dundee game.

Just another way to raise funds and facilitate gift aid donations while still being able to tot up a Jags fan total in addition to anything raised on the day.

All for any kind of fundraising.

A banner is also a nice gesture, but for the money it would cost to get one made you could probably feed a refugee family for a month.

I'd rather any money raised was used for that specific purpose. Just my opinion though. It may be possible to get a banner made for free?

Those who have other ideas feel free to pursue them. I focussed on the Save The Children because they'll be geared up to organise and take care of the cash. So i'm happy the club have said yes and responded so quickly.

The justgiving page sounds a good idea.

I suggested the banner to PT on twitter as something the North Stand might want to do. It would be showing solidarity with other football clubs around Europe. It's more of a political statement i guess. Feeding people is great but unless the politics change, there won't be many to feed since the UK has taken in c 4000 Syrians in 4 years of conflict.

However, that's a call for the NS to make.

Great work guys. I'm crap at acting on things immediately, so I hadn't got round to emailing the club. It's great that Maxi is up for it too. I also agree with the just giving page, it means those that can't get to the game can still donate (and have an extra £22 in their pockets to donate with!)

Hopped on the bandwagon, after reading the first few emails. Delighted that the club have taken it up. Just waiting for the Just giving page now. Feeling like a selfish c**t now about selling my soul to the devil and buying a weeks skysports pass to watch the Scotland games (and not just because of the dross served up tonight).

I'll repeat my statement from a previous post. I am sure football is not at the top of the agenda for refugees living in Glasgow, but I would like to see the club donate tickets. I would also extend the offer to people using food banks. We have enough room in our stadium to accommodate a fee hundred complimentary tickets. The gesture from the club may be rewarded in future as individuals see their situation improve.

• Like 1

I'll repeat my statement from a previous post. I am sure football is not at the top of the agenda for refugees living in Glasgow, but I would like to see the club donate tickets. I would also extend the offer to people using food banks. We have enough room in our stadium to accommodate a fee hundred complimentary tickets. The gesture from the club may be rewarded in future as individuals see their situation improve.

Let's get the collection done and maybe make the ticket thing ongoing? We could contact local agencies for that? Some great ideas here...

Just received the following reply from Ian Maxwell

"Hi Colin

Thanks for the email.

As you say, we pride ourselves on being a community club and are more than happy to support such fundraising initiatives.

I’ll get in touch with Save the Children and see what needs to be done to organise a can collection for the Dundee game as suggested. We’ll obviously advertise the collection in the lead up to the game when things are confirmed."

Thanks for supporting this folks. I'm happy with that. I'll happily contribute towards a banner but i'll leave that to others to organise.

Well done mate. Good work.

Just saw that Calaid are having a collection event in London on September 20th. If we can organise a collection for next Saturday then we can drive down the week after. I've emailed them just now to ask what items in particular they are most short of.

Absolutely, this could run in conjunction with save the children being there as well - a day of action which would also do the club and fans no harm at all.

Edited by ian_mac

I don't agree with banners at our football club. We are not political we are a football club. Then there will be debates on other political situations and who decides what is important or not.

Collections are fine as people can decide to contribute or not.

I've donated to Unicef as they are the "experts" in helping here.

Personally I never understand the load stuff into a van approach. It's better to have co-ordination from those already there imho.

A great idea.

I believe there is a planned meeting in Glasgow on the day of the Dundee game.

Glasgow has many refugees and I would like the club to offer a number of tickets for our games. Many people living here are restricted from working whilst applications are processed. We certainly have enough spare capacity in our ground and some light relief won't hurt. Hold on, light relief at Firhill...

I am sure there is something in the Geneva convention which prohibits treating people that way. :lol:

Seriously though, I think that's a really good suggestion. It would have been nice if the club had done something along those lines when the first tranche of refugees arrived in Glasgow in the early '00s.