Referee V Inverness

Rid Skwerr

I'm not slow to criticise the usual standard of refereeing that we suffer in this country so I feel I should praise them when they deserve it.

I thought yesterday's ref, whom I've never heard of before, had a pretty good game and did not make himself the centre of attention as so many do.

Apart from the booking of Lindsay, which I thought was a wee bit harsh, the ref was very fair yesterday.

Probably the last time I shall ever make such a post! :-)

I'm not slow to criticise the usual standard of refereeing that we suffer in this country so I feel I should praise them when they deserve it.

I thought yesterday's ref, whom I've never heard of before, had a pretty good game and did not make himself the centre of attention as so many do.

Apart from the booking of Lindsay, which I thought was a wee bit harsh, the ref was very fair yesterday.

Probably the last time I shall ever make such a post! :-)

Agree 100%. Well 99%, as for consistency he should've booked an ICT player shortly after Lindsay's yellow.

I also thought the ref had a great game and probably the best Iv seen it the last few years. Every decision he made I could see why he made the decision even the Lindsay one.

I think it was because about 5 mins previous Lindsay tried to hold a player on the touch line who was breaking away and the advantage was played. Once the ball went out of play the ref had a word with him. I think if he had blew for a foul he would have got a yellow card for it.

So when Lindsay fouled the player later (not a great deal of contact) I think the ref then felt he needed to book him.

A breath of fresh air coming away from a game without the ref wanting to be the centre of attention!

Lindsay had committed the exact same offence 10 min earlier and the ref spoke to him after playing an advantage, He had no option but to book him when he blocked the player the second time. I'd agree the ref was very good.

On an other point Lindsay really needs to work at not getting too close , too early and getting turned by the forward He's had a red card against Killie for it and quite a few yellows for the same offence. Opposition forwards are getting wise to him and he'll need to adapt quickly.

I was hoping that the flag would go up for offside but thought the Inverness guy had probably timed his run. From looking at the highlights, it looks like Dumbuya has played him on...withdraw the Man of the Match award!

It wasn't a difficult game to manage, but I agree the ref was pretty good...hardly noticed him which is always a good thing.

Agreed about the goalkeeper. I realise every team does it but the public in general are being cheated. The ICT guy was wasting time after 10 mins! Once or twice he placed the ball, walked back to the goal line and just stood waiting for the ref to tell him to hurry up. Keepers know that refs are ultra lenient and that even after they are booked they are seldom, if ever, likely to be booked again. When did it last happen?

I'd love to see FIFA change the rule back to where it was before. If the ball goes out to the keeper's left, the goal kick is taken from the left. In cases of doubt the ref signals which side to take it from. Also, would like to see a straight red card (or a 10-minute sin-bin) for habitual time-wasting keepers.

The keeper wasting time when his side are ahead is one issue. Alas a certain Mr Cerny is quite a master at this dark art. Whatever, a warning on the first misdemeanour and a yellow card should be waved as early as the second.

Yon ICT goalie tho' continued to waste time after we equalised, which raises a second issue. Hughes did nothing about it (he could easily have relayed a message thru his captain) so you have to assume Yogi would've been happy to come away with one point. Kinda sums up the present ICT ethos. There's a more than subtle difference between accepting a point after a hard fought game than simply playing for a draw.