Marketing

Jaggernaut

This has been a great season for good publicity, with Kingsley, the giveaways, etc. However, there's little evidence of attracting new punters in any significant numbers.

What else could be done?

Not sure, but last night on tv I watched the "new season introduction" organised by my local team, Kyoto Sanga. They are a J2 team, playing to crowds of around 7,000.

The introductory event, attended by entire families, and with food stalls, drinks stalls etc. was pretty razzmatazz. Each squad player got introduced under flashing lights and to music, accompanied by young cheerleaders (they have their own children's cheerleading club). As each player came onto the scene he high-fived with the kids (and adults) who were present. There were a few words from the manager and key players, then some Q & As, followed by some fun football between the players and youngsters, penalty shoot-outs, players mingling and chatting with children and adults, and some other football-related games (shoot into holes in a wall, etc.). As well as give-away trinkets and souvenirs, there was plenty of club merchandise for sale, season tickets etc.

No doubt the event was heavily sponsored, but it was clearly enjoyed by all those present, and probably did a lot for cementing loyalty between supporters and the club as they embark on the season ahead. It may even have got neutrals interested, or even some new supporters.

A problem with doing this is the weather we get here even in the summer. We've had events on a lesser scale at Firhill in the past but though it might be worthwhile I don't think we'd be able to afford (for the likely return) to do anything more than inexpensive.

I think the student free day was a good idea but needed to be done earlier in the season when students are just starting and are looking for things to do and the weather likely not to be too bad.

The club did something like that (on a much smaller scale, obviously) with the open training and signing session at the start of the season.

It was great and much appreciated by me and my 3 kids, though more of a bonus for existing fans rather than recruitment of new ones.

(First time at Firhill for the youngest, might have got another new young fan).

Matchday reductions/promotions targeted at distinct groups, like the student day, or schools, youth groups, etc. seem more likely to yield new fans; early in the season a good idea.

I remember being at Fir Park in the late 70s when Roger Hynd was their manager (or it might have been the early 80s/Jock Wallace). The Motherwell players stood at the tunnel and were introduced one by one as they ran on. It was a gimmick that never caught on.

That makes individual players too vulnerable to the boo boys.

Everyone agrees the club are getting it right on the marketing front but football is a different beast from other products. It's more about emotional buy in, locality as well as value for money once you are there.

For me, the big opportunity now is down to the supporters actively encourage mates & lapsed fans to come along as well as generally spreading the word about what a unique and great club we are in many ways. If you have a free seat in a car, try and fill it, if someone is up for a couple of pints and a crack bring them along. Logistically making it easy and emotionally making it easy to be part of something is the key I feel.

• Like 1