Steven Lawless

JesusTejero

In how many other countries would it be seen to be okay to express support for an opposing club? Would it be acceptable for, say, a Stoke player to express delight in Liverpool beating Everton? Or a Koln player going bananas about Dortmund beating Munich? Or a San Lorenzo player tweeting how delighted he was that Boca had just beaten River Plate? Of course players are entitled to support whoever they like. We just expect them to be professional about it. Lawless wouldn't recognised professional behaviour if it came at him in a large Teddy suit, wrapped in a Union Jack and bawled several choruses of God Save the Queen in his ear. He can go any time he likes...

• Like 2

In how many other countries would it be seen to be okay to express support for an opposing club? Would it be acceptable for, say, a Stoke player to express delight in Liverpool beating Everton? Or a Koln player going bananas about Dortmund beating Munich? Or a San Lorenzo player tweeting how delighted he was that Boca had just beaten River Plate? Of course players are entitled to support whoever they like. We just expect them to be professional about it. Lawless wouldn't recognised professional behaviour if it came at him in a large Teddy suit, wrapped in a Union Jack and bawled several choruses of God Save the Queen in his ear. He can go any time he likes...

while he is clearly a idiot with little brain cells off the pitch disagree with your can go anytime he likes. His performances on the pitch for the jags are why I hope he remains as a partick thistle player despite being a moron off it

while he is clearly a idiot with little brain cells off the pitch disagree with your can go anytime he likes. His performances on the pitch for the jags are why I hope he remains as a partick thistle player despite being a moron off it

I'll forgive him if he can double his scoring rate in the last five games...

:doh:

25 year old Scottish professional footballer from Glasgow tweets sh1t3y old firm banter SHOCKER!!!!

He's been a good player for us. Not the best, but no-one can argue he has not contributed much to our achievement of a place in the top flight of Scottish football, and at 25 still has potential for improvement. So, for now, he ain't the first, he won't be the last... but he's oor 'orrible 'un. I hope he continues with his Jaggy Re-Hab' and that he might, given time, and with the support and love of his Jags fan counsellors work out for himself a path to footballing righteousness. :ptfc:

C'mon Stevie, ya bum fluff beardy wee bam. Screw the nut, drop the i'phone and concentrate on the main event, ya plum. WE ARE THE JAGS!!! #O.T.I.G. # GEEZASHIFT #weanzgonnatweetp1sh #ThistleGlory>OldFirmStory

:tongue2::fan::thumbsup2:

#boringsundays

It's unprofessional conduct whichever way you look at it.

Taking a wage as a professional footballer for Patrick Thistle comes with responsibilities on field and off field. With these tweets Steven Lawless has shown himself to be below acceptable standards for a Patrick Thistle employee. He has let himself and the club down big style here.

Behaviour by Messrs Charnley and Craig et al does not justify bad behaviour by current members of staff.

• Like 4

Of course players are entitled to support who they like. Also nothing wrong with them going to games (if we aren't playing and those games don't affect us). But to tweet repeatedly about your support for that team (replete with "WATP"-type rubbish and stupid wee Union Jack emojis), after having previously made a tit of yourself on social media, is ridiculously poor form.

Given that we stood by him last year when he was heavily punished for his betting antics, and given that the team he is gloating about supporting are our city rivals and will be our league rivals next year, the only conclusion to be drawn is that he's an utter bam.

Untitled.png

For those not on Twitter. Silly and unprofessional, but would not say malicious.

That's a sacking offence by any standards.

Steven Lawless is a prize idiot if he is responsible for that.

Irrespective of whom you support, you keep your head down and respect those whom are paying your bread and water.

It's unprofessional conduct whichever way you look at it.

Taking a wage as a professional footballer for Patrick Thistle comes with responsibilities on field and off field. With these tweets Steven Lawless has shown himself to be below acceptable standards for a Patrick Thistle employee. He has let himself and the club down big style here.

Behaviour by Messrs Charnley and Craig et al does not justify bad behaviour by current members of staff.

Unacceptable behaviour from a Partick Thistle player as well, Barney! I expect a statement saying he has lost his phone again. I never liked the Charnley, Celtic, guff when he played with us, but I don't even think Chic would get involved in printing things like COTP!! We have stood by Lawless during a couple of unsavoury incidents, he might not get a third chance.

Edited by Lindau

Unacceptable behaviour from a Partick Thistle player as well, Barney! I expect a statement saying he has lost his phone again. I never liked the Charnley, Celtic, guff when he played with us, but I don't even think Chic would get involved in printing things like COTP!! We have stood by Lawless during a couple of unsavoury incidents, he might not get a third chance.

I've nothing against our players having other allegiances - that's natural. I believe Calum Booth is a big Hibee for example. But you cannot take a wage from the club and expect to go on social media thinking you are anonymous.

What Steven Lawless seems to have done today has crossed a number of boundaries, the manner of which he expressed himself in particular. Also given that he may be off to the south side if a certain rumour is to believed.

No issue with him being a the Rangers supporter, but he is wrong to rub his own fans' noses in it. At least until he signs for them.

• Like 2

James McKinstry did worse when paid as a partick thistle player was not getting played in a game against Celtic so went in with his Celtic supporting mates at the away end at firhill and cheered on Celtic - wasn't sacked in fact surprised at lack of criticism about it. Now if lawless was actually supporting sevco against us in a game then could see why he might be in big trouble but he wasn't and considering how important a player he is I doubt much will happen other than a quiet word in his ear.

James McKinstry did worse when paid as a partick thistle player was not getting played in a game against Celtic so went in with his Celtic supporting mates at the away end at firhill and cheered on Celtic - wasn't sacked in fact surprised at lack of criticism about it. Now if lawless was actually supporting sevco against us in a game then could see why he might be in big trouble but he wasn't and considering how important a player he is I doubt much will happen other than a quiet word in his ear.

What if the club told the players not to tweet anything regarding the game?

Both you and Steven Lawless fail to appreciate the impact of social media.It's 2016 not 1999.

My take on the situation is that it is just plain silly and unprofessional. I am sure there is no malicious intent behind the posts, but a smarter man would realise that having been reprimanded for social media antics before, he would be best advised to stay well clear. I know the club around 2013/14 implemented a far more rigorous social media policy and I don't think it's unreasonable for Partick Thistle to say that players should avoid these posts. What Lawless posts on his own private accounts is up to him, but Twitter is a pretty open platform even if the account is private.

I am sure a lot of people who use this forum will work for companies that also have social media policies, so this isn't something exclusive to footballers.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

Both you and Steven Lawless fail to appreciate the impact of social media.It's 2016 not 1999.

i still think McKinstrys actions were pretty poor considering we were paying his wages at the time but he decided to go in and support the team we were playing against, I'm surprised it didn't bother you

i still think McKinstrys actions were pretty poor considering we were paying his wages at the time but he decided to go in and support the team we were playing against, I'm surprised it didn't bother you

Banjo's actions didn't bother me at all - indeed I d never noticed it at the time. Charnley and Craig I did notice and I was not happy at all with their behaviour.

What does bother me is that Steven Lawless has had a warning (or two?) about his conduct and does this crap today.. Not even just supporting the team but all the add ons too.

What do you think of that?

• Like 1

Banjo's actions didn't bother me at all - indeed I d never noticed it at the time. Charnley and Craig I did notice and I was not happy at all with their behaviour.

What does bother me is that Steven Lawless has had a warning (or two?) about his conduct and does this crap today.. Not even just supporting the team but all the add ons too.

What do you think of that?

banjo was being paid as an employee of partick thistle I cannot see how that would entitle him to go in to the away end and support a team against the club he was employed by- he should have been supporting his team mates. I'm surprised you were perfectly happy with that

If lawless had as potty trained suggested been told not to post on Twitter during the match but has went ahead and did so then I view that as serious and if the club take serious action against him for that then I would not criticise their decision.

I do not know for certain that the club did ask players not to post but if they did and he has went ahead and ignored it then really has well and truly left himself open to serious action against himself though he has potentially also done that. By liking bigotedUVF guff as well

banjo was being paid as an employee of partick thistle I cannot see how that would entitle him to go in to the away end and support a team against the club he was employed by- he should have been supporting his team mates. I'm surprised you were perfectly happy with that

If lawless had as potty trained suggested been told not to post on Twitter during the match but has went ahead and did so then I view that as serious and if the club take serious action against him for that then I would not criticise their decision.

I do not know for certain that the club did ask players not to post but if they did and he has went ahead and ignored it then really has well and truly left himself open to serious action against himself though he has potentially also done that. By liking bigotedUVF guff as well

Fair play to you, that's unequivocal.

Our club has gone forward in standards under Jackie and Archie. I know Archie wants the highest of standards in the dressing room, but I guess he cannot be across every player's twitter account.

Whichever way you spin it, Steven Lawless did not do himself or his career any favours today, assuming he was the author of those tweets.