Hillsborough 96

BowenBoys

the scenes from outside the court in warrington were emotional and brought a tear to these old eyes.

the establishment lie of blaming the fans for the deaths has finally been laid to rest. the police allowed sixty turnstiles to be open for the forest fans, but only twenty three for the liverpool fans. that, and the subsequent actions of the authorities at the match caused the tragedy, and since then the establishment contrived to collude and lie and painted football supporters as the ones at fault ..... a policing culture that exists to this day continually painting and treating football fans as criminals and trouble makers. apart from two clubs in scotland, there is no reason or justification to act this way towards football fans.

today, justice and truth has won out for the ninety six and their families.

image.jpg

• Like 4

As Billy Bragg says, the British media play a game - they bet that bullsh*t baffles brains.

Why is so hard to get to the truth in the UK?

Fair play to David Conn at the Guardian - this 10 minute video report is spot on.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2016/apr/26/hillsborough-inquiry-anatomy-of-a-disaster-video?CMP=share_btn_tw

• Like 2

The S*n: scum. Never, in my opinion, has that word of description been applied more fittingly. Its owners, editors, leading journos and other various contributors over the decades have invariably been nothing other than grade A scum. Hideous organisms such as Rebekkah Brooks and Kelvin McKenzie, not to mention Papa M*rdoch itself, have epitomised the description elegantly.

Justice for the 96 - something that the wretches who publish and peddle that vile rag can't and won't ever acknowledge. Hell mend them.

• Like 1

There is no one who will go through life without making a mistake, Its the person who has the guts or the backbone to put their hands up to their failings I can respects and absolve. But the scum, and I feel that scum is a very fitting word, who lied and tried to character assassinate those who only wanted justice, should receive the lethal injection. A bit strong you think?.........not a bit of it...........................

As Billy Bragg says, the British media play a game - they bet that bullsh*t baffles brains.

Why is so hard to get to the truth in the UK?

Fair play to David Conn at the Guardian - this 10 minute video report is spot on.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/video/2016/apr/26/hillsborough-inquiry-anatomy-of-a-disaster-video?CMP=share_btn_tw

David Conn's extended article in The Guardian is a powerful read. Systematically tells of how events unfolded and what happened. South Yorkshire police deserve to have the book thrown at them for the scale of incompetence and cover up.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/26/hillsborough-disaster-deadly-mistakes-and-lies-that-lasted-decades

Edited by sandy
  • Like 1

I guess many Jags fans on here will be too young to remember, with the exception of lower division games, anything but all seated stadia. Hillsborough was a disaster waiting to happen, or indeed recur when you take in the likes of Ibrox. But Sheffield and Ibrox were in no way exceptions to the rule. Obviously not on the same scale but on occasion even Brockville was extremely dodgy. I've been told even rugby could've had a major disaster, namely the old Landsdowne Rd stadium in Dublin.

Myself. like no doubt anyone who followed Scotland four or five decades ago, will have been subject to worrying situations, even if the crush as such lasted only a few seconds.

Two quite frightening occasions I can recall personally were firstly in the Kop End at Anfield (Wales v Scotland '77) but far worse, immediately outside that end of the ground prior to kick off. Gotta say that the Liverpool police, especially the mounted ones, were tremendous and i've little doubt their management saved many injuries, perhaps even worse. Secondly, altho' Hampden was not nearly full, was at the Scotland v West Germany game in '69. The Mt Florida end had only recently been covered and tho' I can't mind if the rain was exceptionally heavy there was an inordinate amount of fans (myself included) congregated in the section nearest the main stand. The pressure on the terracing was at times almost unbearable but worse still was the situation leaving the ground as you descended the staircase. I got trapped up against a surrounding wall and tho' it was only for a few seconds it seemed longer and I can openly admit to being very scared.

A couple of years later of course we had Ibrox and I for one wasn't exactly shocked when hearing the news. Tremendously saddened but hardly shocked. The scariest thing and something common to all these crushes is that there's absolutely nothing you personally can do to avoid your fate. No damage limitation. Nothing.

I just noticed the "similar topics" thread at the bottom. That has a very different tone, I must say.

Wish I hadn't read that. Very depressing.

It does show though how if you repeat a lie long enough it becomes the accepted 'truth'.

That thread was just 4 years ago, albeit before the Hillsborough Independent Panel reported their findings, and yet the line about hooliganism was still being peddled.

Imagine losing a loved one in that disaster and listening to that lie for 27 years.

• Like 2

Wish I hadn't read that. Very depressing.

It does show though how if you repeat a lie long enough it becomes the accepted 'truth'.

That thread was just 4 years ago, albeit before the Hillsborough Independent Panel reported their findings, and yet the line about hooliganism was still being peddled.

Imagine losing a loved one in that disaster and listening to that lie for 27 years.

Agree entirely with Tom, it is perhaps a warning for people to examine the evidence before castigating people. I daresay some people are feeling a little ashamed of their previous contributions? To be fair, I never noticed that thread at the time, but hopefully had I done I would have been able to add a more critical voice.

Anyway, remember don't buy the f*cking Sun, even if and particularly not 'just for the football'

Edited by stillresigned

On 7 May Leicester will play Everton at home. This could well be the day that they win the Premiership title and tickets for the home fans are selling for £15,000 a pair.

Recognising the importance of the occasion, some Everton fans have given their tickets, in the away end, to Leicester fans and not even asked for the cover price. There are reports, too, that Everton fans are planning to travel to Leicester to join in the party but give away their tickets in the pub.

I wonder what spin South Yorkshire police would have put on that story.

• Like 1