St Johnstone Vs Partick Thistle - Saturday 11 February

jagfox

Welsh played LWB in training all week.

I think you are both right. For the first 30 seconds we did indeed line up as a flat back four of Keown, Devine, Barton & Lindsay and I presumed that we were playing a sort of 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 with 2 centre backs in the full back roles. Barton then ambled into midfield to form the 3-4-3 which became the permanent formation. From the post-match interview with Archie, it seems that this was a pre-planned moved designed to confuse St Johnstone. In that case it succeeded as it appeared to take some time for St Johnstone to work out how to counter our formation and by that time Adam had popped up unmarked in their box to score.

Just to add, that was a brilliantly cool finish by Barton. The ball was coming across him and so often you see these going back in the direction they came from or spinning wide of the goal or being lashed over the top or the player needing extra touches to control and being closed down. Understated and nonchalant as always he killed any bobbling effect on the ball, yet kept the pace from the cross and re-directed it clinically low and just wide of the keeper.

• Like 3

I think you are both right. For the first 30 seconds we did indeed line up as a flat back four of Keown, Devine, Barton & Lindsay and I presumed that we were playing a sort of 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 with 2 centre backs in the full back roles. Barton then ambled into midfield to form the 3-4-3 which became the permanent formation. From the post-match interview with Archie, it seems that this was a pre-planned moved designed to confuse St Johnstone. In that case it succeeded as it appeared to take some time for St Johnstone to work out how to counter our formation and by that time Adam had popped up unmarked in their box to score.

That's exactly as I saw it. I've seen Liam play at left back and believe me it's not something to look forward to so I was glad it was just a ruse.. I don't think I've ever seen us play a 3-4-3 and certainly not without full backs used in the wing back position. Picking a MotM yesterday would be as difficult as singling out a scapegoat when we played them the other week. All found guilty at Firhill, everyone a hero yesterday. I do tho' think Sean Welsh being played in a position so far out of his comfort zone is worthy of special mention.