What A Sorry Apology For A Football "team"

Jaggernaut

A sad ragbag collection of misfits, past-it, never-have-been or never-will-be players who would struggle to get a game in any other team in the division.

But enough about Dunfermline. How sorry are Thistle these days?

Make no mistake, Dunfermline, though no great shakes, deserved their win yesterday, and they got it almost without breaking sweat. It's just as many of us have been stating for so long: Let Thistle play pointless and countless sideways passes along the half-way line. Then let them come forward and let them do it along the 18-yard line. They don't have anything like enough guile, movement, or speed to burst through and cause any real problems.

I counted two shots "on target" yesterday, both in the second half, and both so tame that their keeper simply had to put his hands out in front of him to stop the ball. Truly awful.

I've seen the Jags go through some very bad spells, but I've never seen a team that looks like authentic relegation material so early on in a season. They're serial losers, and their attitude seems to show it. Most of the fans also seem to know it. Was there even one single attempt at a song in the JH stand yesterday? If so, I couldn't hear it.

Edited by Jaggernaut

A sad ragbag collection of misfits, past-it, never-have-been or never-will-be players who would struggle to get a game in any other team in the division.

Make no mistake, Dunfermline, though no great shakes, deserved their win yesterday, and they got it almost without breaking sweat. It's just as many of us have been stating for so long: Let Thistle play pointless and countless sideways passes along the half-way line. Then let them come forward and let them do it along the 18-yard line. They don't have anything like enough guile, movement, or speed to burst through and cause any real problems.

I counted two shots "on target" yesterday, both in the second half, and both so tame that their keeper simply had to put his hands out in front of him to stop the ball. Truly awful.

I've seen the Jags go through some very bad spells, but I've never seen a team that looks like authentic relegation material so early on in a season. They're serial losers, and their attitude seems to show it. Most of the fans also seem to know it. Was there even one single attempt at a song in the JH stand yesterday? If so, I couldn't hear it.

Yes but I aint surprised you didnt hear it, 2 men and their song. hellas its times like this when the team need the fans more than ever, but I understand the apathy, yesterdays performance was shocking and the crowd was surprisingly low considering the number of people who wouldnt go back while Cowan and Hughes were at the Club. Well they no longer are, so were was everyone???

I always console myself with the memory of Clydebank putting 6 past us many years ago. I tell myself that, "at least we're not as bad as we were in that game against Clydebank".

Recently, however I've been having bad dreams. I dream, in a Total Recall kind of way that the memory of the Clydebank defeat is a false memory. That it has been electronically planted in my brain by the mad professors, Cowan & Mccall in their secret laboratory deep beneath Firhill's main stand,(it really exists, you know!).

My worry now is that, if the Clydebank defeat really is a false memory, then the present Jags squad really is the the worst I've ever seen.

Oh God! I can't bear it any more. I think I'll just wander off to my quiet place for a few hours.

Where did I put my comfort blanket and my Cuddly Chic doll? And why don't I have any fingernails any more?

Totally agree.

An absolute disgrace of a team.

McCall must know that this team is going no-where and I'm afraid he is 100% responsible. If Raith Rovers can built a team that looks like it will win the league....why can't we? Cowdenbeath have no money, yet are doing well...why can't we.

Its not all about money, that's just a mamnagerial smokescreen. Lets go with youth. It can't get any worse....can it?

What I don't understand is how these players can talk all the sh*te to the Evening Times during the week and then act like a bunch of losers at the weekend. Most of us on here who work might not particularly like our jobs but we do them to the best of our ability and if we do something well we come away with a sense of satisfaction. If I was a Thistle player and walked off the pitch at full time at Starks Park, Central Park, Palmerston or Firhill in recent weeks, I'd be thinking 'maybe I'm not really cut out for this line of work.' I don't expect them to come out with some 'we owe the fans' or 'playing for the jersey' b*llshit because it's just that, but how about doing for themselves? If they really think of themselves as footballers who want to win things instead of a wage in the interim before they drive taxis and give it the old 'I'm a footballer'line in pubs to impressionable 22 year old lassies, then let's see them PROVE IT over the next three weeks...

What I don't understand is how these players can talk all the sh*te to the Evening Times during the week and then act like a bunch of losers at the weekend. Most of us on here who work might not particularly like our jobs but we do them to the best of our ability and if we do something well we come away with a sense of satisfaction. If I was a Thistle player and walked off the pitch at full time at Starks Park, Central Park, Palmerston or Firhill in recent weeks, I'd be thinking 'maybe I'm not really cut out for this line of work.' I don't expect them to come out with some 'we owe the fans' or 'playing for the jersey' b*llshit because it's just that, but how about doing for themselves? If they really think of themselves as footballers who want to win things instead of a wage in the interim before they drive taxis and give it the old 'I'm a footballer'line in pubs to impressionable 22 year old lassies, then let's see them PROVE IT over the next three weeks...

Amen to that :thumbsup2:

While I largly agree with your sentiments, where does the next three week come into it? What are you looking for? Six points and a cup final or just improved performances? I'm not criticising you i'm just curious.

I've always been willing to give McCall a chance (I even voted for him to stay manager in the recent poll) but I can't see things changing with him in charge any more.

While I largly agree with your sentiments, where does the next three week come into it? What are you looking for? Six points and a cup final or just improved performances? I'm not criticising you i'm just curious.

I've always been willing to give McCall a chance (I even voted for him to stay manager in the recent poll) but I can't see things changing with him in charge any more.

No argument from me there. If McCall is the manager he thinks he is (and I'd hope for some serious soul searching on his part on that issue) I'd expect us to at least prove we can compete in this League by the end of the first quarter. Wholly arbitary I know. I'd also like us to beat Ross Co. and get to the Challenge Cup Final. As noted above, if we have players who want to win things then the Challenge Cup Final, contested by every team outside the shitty new SPL might be a good place to start....

No argument from me there. If McCall is the manager he thinks he is (and I'd hope for some serious soul searching on his part on that issue) I'd expect us to at least prove we can compete in this League by the end of the first quarter. Wholly arbitary I know. I'd also like us to beat Ross Co. and get to the Challenge Cup Final. As noted above, if we have players who want to win things then the Challenge Cup Final, contested by every team outside the shitty new SPL might be a good place to start....

I'm in general agreement, but actually in my current Jags-related mood the Challenge Cup is an irrelevance that I wish didn't exist. I'd send the entire Under-19's team to play in that; the current senior squad don't deserve it, and any success they get in it (slim though the chances are) will delude them into thinking they're good.

I think we might just get to the final - if only because in the cup, the players can play with no fear of losing points etc. Ross County don't seem to be performing much just now either so maybe even 3 league points as well? We have had a horrific start to the season and league games against RC and Falkirk are not what I'd want if 6 points was the aim - I just can't see this mob achieving that. To be honest, even if they do, I think the time for a change has come ...