Davie McParland

11 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I think it would be disrespectful to both McParland and Weir to re-name the Main Stand. 

Disrespectful to McParland as it says "Sorry about the training complex; it was all b*shit. Thanks for everything. Listen, it's admittedly an afterthought, but we'll stick a sign with your name on the old stand, get rid of the name that's already there, and it'll be yours until it falls down (maybe not too long to wait for that). How's that?"

Disrespectful to Weir as it says "Thanks for the Academy, the millions of quid that kept us going, and kick-starting fan ownership." In recognition, we named the Main Stand after you, but actually, according to some supporters, you just picked 6 numbers out of a hat. We've therefore decided that you don't deserve that stand, but we'll let you keep your name in front of Academy. How's that? 

A Sporting Club honours Sporting Heroes 

What does it say to future generations of young Sports People 

Dont work hard - Dont be dedicated - just hope for a Roll over Week -and you will be honoured in the same manner as Club Legends ? 

Jim Oliver had put more money in than Colin Weir at the time of naming the stand - he would never in a Million Years look for a stand to be named after him ( despite the fact he actually built one ) 

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

A Sporting Club honours Sporting Heroes 

Dont work hard - Dont be dedicated - just hope for a Roll over Week -and you will be honoured in the same manner as Club Legends ? 

Jim Oliver had put more money in than Colin Weir at the time of naming the stand - he would never in a Million Years look for a stand to be named after him ( despite the fact he actually built one ) 

A Sporting Club honours Sporting Heroes :

Whose rule is that? So for PTFC, why don't you expand your blacklist campaign to remove any non "sporting heroes" from being honoured in the Hall of Fame?

Somehow, I don't think that future generations of young sports people are the main priority in your campaign against Colin Weir being honoured by having the Main Stand named after him. I certainly don't recall you being so passionate about young sports people in your many previous posts on many topics.

That simply amplifies how nasty and stupid your "argument" comes across. You almost sound envious. 

So it's all about money? If somebody else came along and sank more money than Jim Oliver did into PTFC, would you then campaign for the removal of JO's name? And if so, why, because according to you he never had any interest in such an honour anyway!(I'm sure neither did CW.) Really, it's easy for you to cry "shameful," and some people whom you don't approve of should "never be anywhere near PTFC", but if you feel so strongly about such things, why not try to organize a protest against each of your beefs? Why not organize petitions to start a campaign for change? Name the people or the names you'd like to see gone, and state explicitly your reasons why. See how much support you get, or how much attention.

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

The point I was trying to make when I asked who had taken the decision to name the stand was because I didn't think that Colin Weir had "looked for" the stand to be named for him. He financed the acadamy so that was fitting that it was named after him. I wasn't sure it was Beattie who was chair but I wonder if there was some hope that Colin Weir would expand his involvement financially.

Edited by scotty

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

A Sporting Club honours Sporting Heroes :

Whose rule is that? So for PTFC, why don't you expand your blacklist campaign to remove any non "sporting heroes" from being honoured in the Hall of Fame?

Somehow, I don't think that future generations of young sports people are the main priority in your campaign against Colin Weir being honoured by having the Main Stand named after him. I certainly don't recall you being so passionate about young sports people in your many previous posts on many topics.

That simply amplifies how nasty and stupid your "argument" comes across. You almost sound envious. 

So it's all about money? If somebody else came along and sank more money than Jim Oliver did into PTFC, would you then campaign for the removal of JO's name? And if so, why, because according to you he never had any interest in such an honour anyway!(I'm sure neither did CW.) Really, it's easy for you to cry "shameful," and some people whom you don't approve of should "never be anywhere near PTFC", but if you feel so strongly about such things, why not try to organize a protest against each of your beefs? Why not organize petitions to start a campaign for change? Name the people or the names you'd like to see gone, and state explicitly your reasons why. See how much support you get, or how much attention.

This is correct a Sporting Club honours its heroes in the hope it inspires the next generation to follow in there Footsteps which is at the core of why Sports Clubs exist from generation to generation 

Josh Kerr after winning the 1500m World Champs spoke about his role being to help inspire the next generation 

We live in an “ instant” Society - inspiring future generations in Sport is important - ask any successful sports person - they will name who inspired them

No idea what your talking about ref “ The Money” thats the point - Money should not come into the equation ref things like naming Stands - JO actually built one - he named it after Jackie Husband

As for “envious” of Colin Weir ? Seriously ?

Regards the HofF it was actually myself who came up with the idea of putting the Club Doc in the HofF - I of course spoke to Robert Reid as it was ultimately his call - the Doc had given four decades of service to the Club - and of course Robert was also inducted - however they followed the principle of hard work and dedication as an ethos  

Irrelevant drivel.

I'm finished with this, but look forward to you replacing mouthing off on this forum with active campaigns to remove the people you don't want "anywhere near Firhill" (with names and precise resons) and the replacement of the Colin Weir Stand with the Jim Oliver Stand (with your reasons). I'll also look forward to seeing how many people share your views.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

Irrelevant drivel.

I'm finished with this, but look forward to you replacing mouthing off on this forum with active campaigns to remove the people you don't want "anywhere near Firhill" (with names and precise resons) and the replacement of the Colin Weir Stand with the Jim Oliver Stand (with your reasons). I'll also look forward to seeing how many people share your views.

I have a Golden Rule ref the Forum - I never get personal nor do I get abusive towards other posters - no matter how much I disagree with them 

At no point did I ever say on any level that the Colin Weir Stand should be renamed the Jim Oliver Stand - quite the opposite actually

As for those I don't think should be connected to the Club - as Ive already stated the manner in which Ian McCall was treated and the desperation to remove him straight after the Rangers Game was shocking and falls way below how we should act as a Club 

How many people share my Views on the Forum possibly none - in wider Football 

At Ibrox there stands are named after Bill Struth and Sandy Jardine - at Celtic Park Jock Stein and the Lisbon Lions - there are No David Murray or Fergus McCann Stands 

So maybe they think stands are named after Club Legends ? 

'Interestingly both Aberdeen and Dundee United have stands named after people other than players/managers. I'm sure there are others. 

I'm comfortable with stands etc. being named after those that have made a significant contribution to a club, on or off the field. Not that it's something I give much thought to. 

It's a curious debate though to have at our club given how long it is since the Main Stand was renamed. 

While Colin Weir didn’t work hard  to acquire his Euro millions win I don't doubt he was a hardworking man who provided for his family. 

He got lucky with the lottery win. The measure of an individual IMO is what they do with that wealth rather than how they acquired it. Partick Thistle were far from the only recipients of Colin Weir's generosity. You could argue that there are others that deserve the honour he received at our club as much, or more, than he did but to say he was honoured simply because he had a lottery win is a cheap shot. 

Edited by Tom Hosie
  • Like 3