Ayr away

Lenziejag

I would still be inclined to play Graham and Adeloye together if not in a 4-4-2 formation then in a 3-5-2 or a 3-5-1-1 as he seems to have the attributes to play  with or behind Graham and the pace to get forward to support him. I appreciate playing any of the above formations has implication for the way we play at the moment but that is for Doolan to resolve. IMO Adeloye is too good a player to sit on the bench and we need to find a way to get him onto the park.

Although the team is on an upward trajectory we are still short of where we were last season. For example, I still think we are missing Holt is central defence and the problem that Doolan has not resolved is the strong tackling ball winning midfielder.

We are winning games hut not without being under pressure early in the game and at Ayr for most of the first half. Had Sneddon not been on form and Ayr totally inept with the final ball we could easily have been 2 or 3 behind by the time Lawless got our second. Doolan is doing a fantastic job but there are still issues he needs to resolve. We won't get away with an Ayr (first half) performance against Dundee Utd.

7 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

I would still be inclined to play Graham and Adeloye together if not in a 4-4-2 formation then in a 3-5-2 or a 3-5-1-1 as he seems to have the attributes to play  with or behind Graham and the pace to get forward to support him. I appreciate playing any of the above formations has implication for the way we play at the moment but that is for Doolan to resolve. IMO Adeloye is too good a player to sit on the bench and we need to find a way to get him onto the park.

Although the team is on an upward trajectory we are still short of where we were last season. For example, I still think we are missing Holt is central defence and the problem that Doolan has not resolved is the strong tackling ball winning midfielder.

We are winning games hut not without being under pressure early in the game and at Ayr for most of the first half. Had Sneddon not been on form and Ayr totally inept with the final ball we could easily have been 2 or 3 behind by the time Lawless got our second. Doolan is doing a fantastic job but there are still issues he needs to resolve. We won't get away with an Ayr (first half) performance against Dundee Utd.

Do agree that three at the back both opens the way to play Adeloye with Graham together and it's a formation worth deploying from time to time, especially on narrow pitches away from Firhill. Having two full backs that are capable wingbacks more than helps.

One problem is a lack of centrebacks, and not one of the three we have is naturally left sided. So yes we do miss Holt in a way. I know Milne can play left centreback if called upon but then we're left with no credible left wingback. Then at the same time we're loaded (some might say overloaded) in central midfield as it is. Not having an out and out ball winning midfielder means we really have to play an extra midfielder and not one less. In turn that means no place in a 3-5-2 (3-5-1-1) for Fitzy and Lawless. 

Looks to me that Doolan can't resolve a change in formation due to the squad he's selected. By that I'm not meaning over a short period or during a game but over any protracted period. Be interested to know how your optimum starting eleven would look like playing 3-5-2 (3-5-1-1)?

As always the team could be improved, but that's unlikely now between now and January. If we keep scoring goals at the rate we are doing, I'm not bothered if we lose a few at the other end. Worth mentioning that our league record over last 10 games ( into last season ) was W5 D4 L1. Add in the 6 play off games W5 L1 and that's mighty impressive. So perhaps we shouldn't tinker too much. 

Edited by dl1971
Typo

On 9/19/2023 at 10:51 AM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Do agree that three at the back both opens the way to play Adeloye with Graham together and it's a formation worth deploying from time to time, especially on narrow pitches away from Firhill. Having two full backs that are capable wingbacks more than helps.

One problem is a lack of centrebacks, and not one of the three we have is naturally left sided. So yes we do miss Holt in a way. I know Milne can play left centreback if called upon but then we're left with no credible left wingback. Then at the same time we're loaded (some might say overloaded) in central midfield as it is. Not having an out and out ball winning midfielder means we really have to play an extra midfielder and not one less. In turn that means no place in a 3-5-2 (3-5-1-1) for Fitzy and Lawless. 

Looks to me that Doolan can't resolve a change in formation due to the squad he's selected. By that I'm not meaning over a short period or during a game but over any protracted period. Be interested to know how your optimum starting eleven would look like playing 3-5-2 (3-5-1-1)?

As usual your analysis is spot on. I think that  the conclusion I am reaching with the help of your analysis is that with the current squad a 3 at the back formation just isn't feasible as it would require too many compromises further forward.

The  4-2-3-1 formation has served  us well, last seasons play-off games, for example.  I just think we have a player in Adeloye and if we don't play him we will lose him. His problem is that the player keeping him out seems to be the heart and soul of the team. I just wonder if Doolan will be brave enough to teplace Graham with Adeloye when his form shades off as it generally does at some point in a season

I will keep the 3-5-2 formation up my sleeve for the time being and think about it again when we replace Holt with somebody similar and sign a strong ball winning, holding midfielder.

Thank you for your insights they were very helpful. We definitely cannot drop Lawless!

• Like 2