Ayr away

Lenziejag

1 hour ago, Muscat Jag said:

Very solid performance from Sneddon tonight in terrible conditions for a goalie. 

Agreed.

Actually thought we defended well the whole game. At the back that is. Certainly needed to as the defence was kept busy. Definitely needing more protection.

The conditions were indeed terrible. Just when I thought he was thru  Fitzpatrick was finding every puddle down that stand side. Much improved 2nd half. Guessing Ayr must be getting rather sick of us. 12 goals to nil over three games.

Over my many years of supporting Thistle i have seen us dominate games and end up losing. It was good to see us tonight riding out a bit of a storm from Ayr after we scored, then coming out in the second half and scoring some really good goals and ending up comfortable winners.

Great result. Well done to the management team, players and our fans who sang all night in horrendous weather.

52 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

My view too.

We lack a midfielder who can stamp their authority when needed. Fortunately Ayr couldn’t capitalise although Graham could have had another one or two goals before half time. 

Special mention to Sneddon for some important saves particularly in the first half with a slippery ball. Wee Stevie had a very quiet first half but certainly made up for it with his goals and yet another assist. Does big Adeloye only do cool finishes😎

I mut admit at the start of the season I was worried about the loss of Tiffoney and Turner but I think the forward line is fine. Our real loss is Docherty and Holt. Muirhead is our only experienced centre back and it shows at times. 

First half we looked good going forward but really poor at the back.

Took Ngwenya about 60 minutes to get into a reasonable defensive position and losing McMillan meant our back 4 looked pretty shaky. Bannigan and Stanway offered very little protection first half and Ayr really should have at least equalised. The difference between the two sides really came down to we have a proper striker in Brian Graham.

Second half I thought we changed tactics slightly with Stanway playing higher and on the Ayr number 46 (Jack Young). In the first half the Ayr midfield pairing had been recovering possession quickly and in our half so it was quite a decent tactical change to get Stanway to force one of them back. 

Sneddon was good and his handling was very assured considering the conditions. First Half Fitzpatrick stood out however the second half became the Lawless show. 2 goals and an assist. You could see as soon as Lawless struck his first it was going in.

That was a hell of a first touch from Tomi Adeloye. I think Doolan will be chuffed with that substitution.

Ayr fell apart after the second. Don't think I've ever seen a team that was 4 goals behind make a double substitution in injury time to run down the clock before, not  sure I've seen a dislocated finger like McAllister's again and I'm not too sure we will see us play an Ayr team managed by Lee Bullen again.

A big well done to management, players and travelling fans on a convincing win. A special mention for Sneddon (excellent throughout):and Lawless (mainly second half).

I couldn't see us, at HT, winning this game  but we managed to turn it around in the second half and won at a canter. Bodes well for the rest of the season.

5 hours ago, watties wallies said:

mom for me was jamie sneddon  kept us in the game first half

midfield posted missing 

lawless second half came right on to his game

that chalmers looks a good player for ayr

onwards and upwards 👍

Agree with all your comments. I’d have had Stevie and McInriy off at ht! Thank God I ain’t the gaffer.

McFadden should’ve asked Doolan what he did to instigate such a magnificent 2nd half.

Watched it at home on the TV, so probably couldn’t see everything properly, but it didn’t look like McMillan and Lawless linked up at all. We really need somebody in midfield that can break up play, otherwise it is going to cost us. Even although we were under pressure in the 1st half, it seemed like whenever we got forward we looked like we could score. Stanway was pretty quiet all game, McKenzie did well when he came on and Lawless turned the game in the 2nd half. Sneddon had a really good game and made a few important saves. And unfortunately another stand in, didn’t really impress on the night, but he was up against a player that has consistently caused us problems.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Watched it at home on the TV, so probably couldn’t see everything properly, but it didn’t look like McMillan and Lawless linked up at all. We really need somebody in midfield that can break up play, otherwise it is going to cost us. Even although we were under pressure in the 1st half, it seemed like whenever we got forward we looked like we could score. Stanway was pretty quiet all game, McKenzie did well when he came on and Lawless turned the game in the 2nd half. Sneddon had a really good game and made a few important saves. And unfortunately another stand in, didn’t really impress on the night, but he was up against a player that has consistently caused us problems.

Please elaborate. Who and who?

9 hours ago, dl1971 said:

I don't hate anyone. Just enjoy pointing out those who have a need to prematurely give a negative opinion. Its great fun. We have a good team. Embrace it and who knows where we will end up this season. The stats under doolan say it all. 

It was pointed out repeatedly in the interviews after the game (Lawless, Doolan and Graham) that this was the first clean sheet of the season (10 games). So perhaps it wasn’t a negative opinion to point that out - especially at half-time. 

10 hours ago, Mr Bunny said:

Yes, not given enough credit. Don't think he made a brilliant save but some very good ones and a very brave one where he got hurt. But for him they might have had a lead at half time.

Maybe been mentioned but I'm kinda sure Jamie got a touch on a ball in the first half (dive to his right). Mr Collum signalled a goal kick. Sneddon looked just a tad miffed his save hadn't been recognised. Anyone clear that one up? 

eta 49 secs on above video

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

27 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Maybe been mentioned but I'm kinda sure Jamie got a touch on a ball in the first half (dive to his right). Mr Collum signalled a goal kick. Sneddon looked just a tad miffed his save hadn't been recognised. Anyone clear that one up? 

eta 49 secs on above video

It was a clear save by Sneddon. How Collum missed it only he knows and he didn't get any help from his linesman who was well placed. Replay showed it was probably going wide. 

• Like 2

Does not seem to have been mentioned much, so I will give some praise to Aidan Fitzpatrick. Did his share of covering back, but also made some electrifying runs tearing through the Ayr defence and setting up opportunities which unfortunately were not finished off. In that period of the game from about minute 15 to minute 55 when we were under a lot of pressure, he was one player whose standards did not slip. Was my man of the match until of course super Stevie Lawless took over.

Turning to Stevie, great to see him scoring cracking long range goals again. He did that a couple of times (one was certainly against Livingston) in the 2012-2013 season and then rediscovered the art for brilliant goals away to St Johnstone and at home against Aberdeen I think in the season when we nearly made Top 6. Maybe it is something like Halley's Comet and the magic dust comes upon him every fifth year or so. Hopefully there are more of these rocket shots to come.

Finally, as others have done I would also single out Jamie Sneddon. He made 2 or 3 really good saves, but what I would prefer to emphasise was his resilience. He took a lot of physical punishment in the game, getting hit high when coming for crosses, and also having to dive into forests of legs to claim shots or crosses coming in low, when ball and forward seemed to arrive on top of him simultaneously. So, bravely done, and Bravo, Jamie!

• Like 1

Ngwenya seemed to take up a strange starting position when being faced up. It worried me, as he didn't seem to have the correct angle to tackle or the speed to catch the player that had gone by him.

Felt sure he was going to concede a penalty.

Thought Neilson had a great game at the back. Read the game well, won his headers and distributed confidently.

Lawless was outstanding in the second half.

I feel that Brian Graham deserves a special mention. Might not have been his best game, but he did get that early goal that gave us something to hold onto and meant Ayr had to come at us which they did but thankfully we held on in the first half and blew them away in the second half.

In his post match interview BBG said that he had lost his mother in law last Sunday and it was a difficult time for the Graham family and he dedicated his goal to his mother in law, pure class from him. :worship:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CotterJag said:

Ngwenya seemed to take up a strange starting position when being faced up. It worried me, as he didn't seem to have the correct angle to tackle or the speed to catch the player that had gone by him.

Felt sure he was going to concede a penalty.

Thought Neilson had a great game at the back. Read the game well, won his headers and distributed confidently.

Lawless was outstanding in the second half.

Ngwenya played an important part in the build up to the first goal, but thereafter I agree that his first half display was disappointing, especially defensively. Chalmers is a good winger but he did seem to get past rather too easily and rather too often. Ngwenya was caught upfield a lot and several Ayr attacks came down his channel when he was posted absent. There were also a few rather dodgy “clearances” which did not fully clear the danger. Like everybody else he improved after Lawless’ first strike.

On a more positive note, he does have pace and seems very comfortable going forward down the left. I am wondering if his main contribution may be to be a sub for Fitzy as a wide attacking midfielder if Fitzy is tiring, injured or not at his best, rather than as a stand in for Milne on the hopefully rare occasions when Harry is unavailable.

1 hour ago, CotterJag said: