Scotland Squad

GrantB

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Englishman David Bardsley has been called into the Scotland squad for the forthcoming qualifiers.

I wonder what Scottish guys like Stephen Crainey of Blackpool or Chris Burke of Cardiff have to do to get a game for Scotland?

Grant I dont know much about this English fella, but Crainey and Burke? :o

Crainey has looked decent in the Premier League with Blackpool. Can't be worse than playing Whittaker out of position since Wallace of Hearts is out injured.

Not that I watch much Championship football but I've heard Burke is doing well down there.

Crainey has been ever present for Blackpool for the last 2 seasons. He played in a winning side at Anfield on Sunday. We have one natural left back in the squad (Jay McEvely) and are likely to play Stephen Whittaker out of position at left back on Friday and Tuesday.

Chris Burke has been is good form for Cardiff for the last season and carries a goal threat. He's also been injury free for the last season and a half which is probably the longest time he's been injury free in his career.

This isn't so much about Levein picking English born players before Scottish ones, rather the fact that he makes a big deal out of leaving no stone unturned in getting people eligible to play for us but turns his nose up at players under his nose.

Crainey has looked decent in the Premier League with Blackpool. Can't be worse than playing Whittaker out of position since Wallace of Hearts is out injured.

Not that I watch much Championship football but I've heard Burke is doing well down there.

Dont think Whittaker is played out of position at left full/wing back, maybe being played in his less prefered position but still the most effective full/wing back we have along wi Hutton. Crainey and Burke are not good enough imo.

Dont think Whittaker is played out of position at left full/wing back, maybe being played in his less prefered position but still the most effective full/wing back we have along wi Hutton. Crainey and Burke are not good enough imo.

Evening Times

Whittaker is definately NOT a left back.

Crainey is good enough to play week in week out in the Premiership, has played against 3 of the so called 'big 4' already this season and held his own. I dont know what else he has to do to get a call up.

Evening Times

Whittaker is definately NOT a left back.

Crainey is good enough to play week in week out in the Premiership, has played against 3 of the so called 'big 4' already this season and held his own. I dont know what else he has to do to get a call up.

Can he play the position? Can he play it well? Does he prefer that position to right back?

Yes. Yes. No

Or to quote the article 'Although he has stated on many occasions he considers his best position to be right-back, Whittaker says it isn’t a problem for him to swap flanks to help his country out' .

Edited by Steven H

Burke has been doing very well down at City.

Is his exclusion not something to do with him and his other half splitting up and him using free time to spend it with his kid in Scotland? Sure I heard something along those lines a while back.

I remember reading something about that a while ago. I wondered if his circumstances had changed or if no stone unturned Levein had bothered to ask the question.

Can he play the position? Can he play it well? Does he prefer that position to right back?

Yes. Yes. No

Or to quote the article 'Although he has stated on many occasions he considers his best position to be right-back, Whittaker says it isn’t a problem for him to swap flanks to help his country out' .

There are plenty of H_uns who would tell you he doesn't play right back well. His best position is right midfield as, while he can be excellent going forward, he is suspect defensively - especially with a player running at him with pace.

Burke would add something to the squad on recent form, don't think he's any worse than Maloney. Would also be good to see McCormack regain some sort of form, now at Leeds I believe, as he would certainly add to the attacking options in the squad.

Onto Crainey, doing not too bad at the moment, but not sure he's quite good enough. He got tore a new one against Walcott afew weeks back, but many players better than him will. Anyworse than McEveley though? Doubt it.

Crainey has been ever present for Blackpool for the last 2 seasons. He played in a winning side at Anfield on Sunday. We have one natural left back in the squad (Jay McEvely) and are likely to play Stephen Whittaker out of position at left back on Friday and Tuesday.

Chris Burke has been is good form for Cardiff for the last season and carries a goal threat. He's also been injury free for the last season and a half which is probably the longest time he's been injury free in his career.

This isn't so much about Levein picking English born players before Scottish ones, rather the fact that he makes a big deal out of leaving no stone unturned in getting people eligible to play for us but turns his nose up at players under his nose.

Djimi Traore has a Champions League medal. He's still rank though.

I've quite liked the look of Kris Commons this season. His team have had hit and miss form but he has been prominent in the games I've seen and in terms of goals and assists.

Is it just me or does craig levein look like the character joe tobin from the second series of damages? Anyway he seems to make up selection rules as goes along. No players who haven't had a run in their club side, i.e. Maloney then contradicted by playing hutton who had played less games. No doubt Gary Caldwell will get a start despite not playing for however long. Rumours now spreading that miller will be dropped for mackie. I guess we'll find out tomorrow when team is announced ;)

Burke would add something to the squad on recent form, don't think he's any worse than Maloney. Would also be good to see McCormack regain some sort of form, now at Leeds I believe, as he would certainly add to the attacking options in the squad.

Onto Crainey, doing not too bad at the moment, but not sure he's quite good enough. He got tore a new one against Walcott afew weeks back, but many players better than him will. Anyworse than McEveley though? Doubt it.

Blackpool were down to 10 men for most of the game v Arsenal. That would have made his job that much harder.

Djimi Traore has a Champions League medal. He's still rank though.

Fair enough point. I'll see you and raise you Stephane Guivarrch (sp) has a World Cup winners medal.

I don't think Crainey has been that bad though.

I've quite liked the look of Kris Commons this season. His team have had hit and miss form but he has been prominent in the games I've seen and in terms of goals and assists.

Is it just me or does craig levein look like the character joe tobin from the second series of damages? Anyway he seems to make up selection rules as goes along. No players who haven't had a run in their club side, i.e. Maloney then contradicted by playing hutton who had played less games. No doubt Gary Caldwell will get a start despite not playing for however long. Rumours now spreading that miller will be dropped for mackie. I guess we'll find out tomorrow when team is announced ;)

Excellent point about Commons. I'd actually forgotten about him when the squad was announced. He scored a cracker against Middlesboro the other week.

Levein gets more baffling by the week. I fear Scotland will become a laughing stock under him despite the fact we have a few decent players.

Just seen the team for tomorrow.

Levein must be sacked NOW!!!!

I don't know if this is a serious post :thinking: but although I do not see how the 11 will fit in to a formation (this is a familiar game we play going to Firhill) Levein must be given time. If Scotland win (or draw) tomorrow night will you still stand by your post?

Edited by MarkyBoyFTOF

how anyone can demand a manager be sacked for not playing Kenny Miller is beyond me, he's hardly pele so lets get real here.

anyway, i'm sure he'll back chasing shadows and lost causes for the spain game so dont panic!

in any case we will still have striker on the pitch, albeit one we've never heard of :unsure:

caldwell will sit deep with morrison and dorrans wide midfielders and fletcher and naismith in the centre, 4-1-4-1. however i suppose any of the 3 (exc fletcher) could play in any of the 3 available midfield positions.

i think (more hope) we might just snatch a decent result ;)

caldwell will sit deep with morrison and dorrans wide midfielders and fletcher and naismith in the centre, 4-1-4-1. however i suppose any of the 3 (exc fletcher) could play in any of the 3 available midfield positions.

i think (more hope) we might just snatch a decent result ;)

Agreed, it's a 4-1-4-1 and players in positions as stated but I am unsure on Naismith as a central midfielder. Think Levein has set up to have a go on the break, with Naismith, Dorrans, Morrison and the one and only totally Scottish Aberdeen super-hero Darren Mackie.....what do you mean Aberdeen fans don't like him? :angry: He's an internationalist!!!!.....It's not Darren Mackie, are you sure :unknw: