Scotland Squad

GrantB

When you get guys like Nevin, Collins and Hartley trying desperately hard not to sound as if they are slagging off their mate for his tactics, you know he got it terribly wrong.

I have never watched such a defensive setup as Levein has produced since he took over.

Did anyone else see that H*n bombscare try to play football in the penalty box and then 6 yards from our own byline????????????? :o

The game was there to be won, and it wasnt until the last 15 mins he tried to get something out of it. My worry is that in his mind he has already written off the Spain game and will just try and make it damage limitation and keep the formation 10-0-0 for 90 minutes no matter what happens.

All the other teams must get confidence from this now knowing that we will sit back and try and soak up pressure for most of the game.

And now onto my pet hate about Scotland. Darren Fletcher. Great player for Man Utd, crap for Scotland. If he isnt giving the ball away, he's running about like a blue arsed fly. No leadership of the team whatsoever. Take the armband off him now!!!!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly as I predicted sadly.

What message does playing like that send out to kids watching that with aspirations of playing football?

Playing with no strikers against a mediocre team. What next, taking on the world champions with no midfielders?

Levein is an absolute embarassment of a human being. His defence of the indefensable after the match shows the total arrogance of the man. Even the much criticised (in the English media anyway) tactics of the h_uns at Old Trafford were more positive than that.

GTF Levein.

^^^ this ^^^

especially the bold bits.

What can we look forward to against Spain: a 4-6 formation?

Any manager with a clue would have immediately seen how mediocre the opposition was last night, and changed formation and approach to exploit their weaknesses. Levein's inability to come out of his defence-at-all-costs mindset may well have cost us qualification.

Still furious! :mad2:

Probably a 8-2-0 formation :bag:

Levein is so far up his own jacksey, it's embarrassing to be a Scot these days.

Vogts. Burley. Levein. Every time, we seem to sink further and further. Surely it can't get any worse or lower?

formation was appalling and defending far too deep against a team that really only had Rosicky as a threat - the bit that summed it up was just before they scored McGregor caught a cross ... waited a few seconds while shouting for someone to give him an out ... before launching it up the park with not a single yellow jersey over the half way line ... 4-6-0 = a total disgrace :thumbdown:

the game last night reminded me of the scotland v brazil game in the 1990 world cup to be honest - defended for about 80 minutes before muller tapped in for the brazilians - only then did the tactics change and in the last few minutes going at them showed they were really there for the taking with mccoist missing a sitter ... the czechs were there for the taking last night too - fed up with scottish managers giving teams too much respect.

hope they go 4-4-2 against the spanish on tuesday and have a right good go at them.

formation was appalling and defending far too deep against a team that really only had Rosicky as a threat - the bit that summed it up was just before they scored McGregor caught a cross ... waited a few seconds while shouting for someone to give him an out ... before launching it up the park with not a single yellow jersey over the half way line ... 4-6-0 = a total disgrace :thumbdown:

the game last night reminded me of the scotland v brazil game in the 1990 world cup to be honest - defended for about 80 minutes before muller tapped in for the brazilians - only then did the tactics change and in the last few minutes going at them showed they were really there for the taking with mccoist missing a sitter ... the czechs were there for the taking last night too - fed up with scottish managers giving teams too much respect.

You're quite right, except that I'm not so sure it's so much a case of respect for other teams as the self-defeating attitude that we must be cr*p. I remember Craig Brown (who actually now seems like some kind of genius compared to what we've endured in recent years) saying in an interview that "we don't score many goals", and thinking that he was largely to blame for that very fact!!!

STILL angry!

:mad2:

Another point is - if you feel you've got to be defensive away from home, why not play a formation we've used in the past and the players are familiar with. Either, 4-1-4-1 or 4-4-1-1. These are cagey, somewhat defensive line ups but we've used them with some success.

Why come out - against a team we needn't be too fearful of, yes give them some respect but no need to fear them - and play a formation the players have never used before for club or country with only a couple of days to practice before the game?

Also there were clear signs it wasn't working and we rode our luck a bit (plus they weren't good enough to take advantage of us) in the first half. Just because we went in 0-0 at half time doesn't mean that should have been ignored.

Clear signs we ought to change formation for two key reasons - one, no one up front meant we couldn't keep the ball; two, they looked shaky at the back so we ought to have changed formation to put pressure on them and capitilise on this.

Not only us 'keyboard managers' but the 'experts' in the studio thought the same though they were cagey about openly criticising Levein.

Managers, like anyone else can be forgiven making mistakes - provided they can see they've made a mistake and change the plan.

Edited by Mr Bunny

We went up against a team who were lacking in confidence. What did we do? Gave them the ball to get their confidence up!! We're not good enough to play a system like we did last night as we have too many players who can't pass a ball more than 5 yards!!

Agree with this - should have stuck 2 up front forcing the czechs to keep 2 or 3 at the back static marking our front 2 - instead play no-one up front and invite 10 czechs to come at us wave after wave - really stupid tactics :thumbdown:

As someone who is fiercely patriotic I always try my hardest to defend Scotland......but some things are indefensable :no:

What was Levein thinking about last night ?

I would rather have seen us beaaten by a goal or 2 than suffer that embarresment !

As I said back to basics ffs

What was Levein thinking about last night ?

I would rather have seen us beaaten by a goal or 2 than suffer that embarresment !

As I said back to basics ffs

Exactly!!! As has been stated it was obvious watching the game that the Czech Republic weren't that good.....well it was obvious to most of us.

a few peolpe have said to me "don't worry we will do a france against spain.i just dont c it happening.

These people only get out for the weekends i presume?

I'm going to support the players on Tuesday but Levein can forget it.

His post match interview comments were as disgusting as his tactics, and actually made me angrier than the crap on show. Demoralised. Great word use by that wee turd Nevin. I was totally gubbed by the end of the 90. Levein to then claim he was "happy" with the system and how effective it was whilst showing such contempt for the the rest of the nation was arrogant and self deluded. What a twat he is.

If you've got any spare £££, stick it on Spain on Tuesday night or us not to qualify.

Edited by Chachi

"mark my words, a few years down the line teams will be playing with no striker"

Our esteemed manager speaks out in the press this morning :blink:

We'll be death of the sport or excluded (heading that way anyway by default)

Anyone think it might be time for a rule change, MUST have a striker on the pitch or MUST always have a player in opposing half at any one time?

"mark my words, a few years down the line teams will be playing with no striker"

Anyone think it might be time for a rule change, MUST have a striker on the pitch or MUST always have a player in opposing half at any one time?

Was thinking the very same. FIFA should consider a rule change against this kind of anti-football.

Was thinking the very same. FIFA should consider a rule change against this kind of anti-football.

I've had time to dwell on this now and the more I think back to that game the more furious I get with Levein. His 'tactics' were criminal and somehow he wanted us to believe that this was part of some cunning plan to get us through the group stages and into the tournament proper. Well, Avril, you're a national disgrace as far as I'm concerned. If this sort of brazen shite catches on, football as we've known it stone deid.

I really feel for the fans - including a couple of mates of mine - who forked out a stack of their hard-earned and took days off work only to be treated to this indescribable mince.

Hello Levein, are you listening? You're a donkey to begin with and if you try this sort of stunt again you should be banned from all stadia for a minimum period of fifteen years and never be allowed to run a BB team as long as you've got a hole in yer erse. GTF!

Now I've had a chance to calm down a it too, I'd like to bring together a few points I made in previous posts about this.

First, there's nothing wrong with being defensive, we've done it before and no-one minded. But like any tactics, whether designed to attack or defend, they have to suit the players you have. A plan like Levein came up with requires you having players who can hold on to the ball, pass and hold giving time for the attacking part of the team to get forward. Also pass and hold so you don't lose the ball again as soon as you win it (by a big lump up the park to nobody).

Of course if we did have plenty of players like that we wouldn't need to play that defensively. Another side of it is, international teams, especially British teams, don't get much chance to train together so it's always risky adopting a new strategy. Since Scotland have played defensive systems regularly since the days of Craig Brown, we should have used one that suits our players and they're familiar with - in many cases with club as well as country.

Then there's the lack of adaptability. It was obvious how weak they were at the back and the system wasn't creating anything - they made some blunders which gave us half chances but we didn't do much ourselves. Levein claims his system was designed to take advantage of their weakness but it was patently obvious we weren't doing that. The longer the game went on, you could see that they were a team gaining confidence thanks to us sitting back so much and not creating any danger, not putting them under any pressure. A key ability in any manager/coach is being able to see that things aren't working out and make suitable changes.

Not being able to admit afterwards is far worse. All this "but it nearly worked" rubbish coming from Levein and Houston is just an insult to the fans. We got comfortably beaten and their keeper didn't have a real save to make. These are the only facts that count: trying to pretend otherwise is pig-headnesses to an unbelievale degree. The system was wrong for our team, wrong for situation and made worse because he couldn't see why he should change it during the game.

Edited to add: a thing that gets me is that teams of "lesser" footballing nations (and I mean teams that aren't actually as good as us in terms of results) seem to at least be able to pass and hold onto the ball far better than we do. What is it? Are we not coaching our kids right, is there something wrong with the attitude in our country?

Edited by Mr Bunny